User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Jul 2006, 23:14   #1
System
System

System is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of light
more options please read

is it only me who would like to see this game expanded?

such as more races and bring back things that would have more tactics for example i know lots of people would like to see multi targeting ships come back but maybe even decoys or galaxy fleets (donated form your own fleets) this i believe makes a nice idea.

the more races i would realy like to see, i know you would need to find new abilitys but believe this could bring a little spice into the game

new players i dont believe will have a problem with a slightly expanded game

maybe take out cov ops instead (or keep them and add the others)

in general i am all for expansion making the game bigger
(more options)

Theese ideas get mentioned alot but they dont get implamented. players have spoken of some of teese ideas for rounds is it a coding problem or they just dont want to do them?

just something to discus

Ta!
System is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 23:24   #2
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: more options please read

I'd like some more races, or atleast some new races to replace the old ones if more races is out of the question

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 23:44   #3
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I like the idea of the multiple-targetting. It might keep people who only build one class of ship from being as dominate.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 05:13   #4
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I think most players would like to see the game expanded, especially those of us who have been playing this game so long we can't remember a time before PA. I think it's more a question of finding the time are resources to make significant changes rather then a lack of willingness to make changes that have led to the current slow methodical process.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 08:37   #5
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

...And the ideas that work - its all very well for you to say "I think the game needs more races, think of some for me" - but when it comes down to it we have all the different characteristics, for example Xan with high damage, low armour and low initiative, Zik steal, Cat freeze and so on.

We tried the whole subversion thing.

And PA isn't as old as people suggest - don't forget (or at least I recommend you read about) pre-PAX and the complete overhaul PA has lived through once before.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 08:54   #6
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
I think most players would like to see the game expanded, especially those of us who have been playing this game so long we can't remember a time before PA. I think it's more a question of finding the time are resources to make significant changes rather then a lack of willingness to make changes that have led to the current slow methodical process.
There was a time before PA?!
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 08:56   #7
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
There was a time before PA?!
Yeah, it's when most of us had time to have real lives.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 09:40   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

More races isnt a golden fix or improvement thats going to make the game suddenly so much better imho. Most problems we have each round (and pa has ever had) has come from a lack of balance between the race/tech branches. More races mean a harder time balancing the game and potentuially makes the problems worse.

As for going back to multiple targeting imho it makes the strong stronger and the weak weaker. As it is now no matter how many ships you have you will almost always have a weak point that even someone fairly small can use to thier advantage. This is a great thing as it encourages attacking and encourages smarter attacking rather than the old style "we have to just bash planets into the ground else we could potentially take som biggish losses". Multiple targeting would mean that every ships would target 2 or maybe 3 classes, this would mean covering up a weakness with the ship you build wouldnt open up new weak areas in the way it currently does which sends this game back to the "numbers mean everything" style of play rather than the "a smart well calculated attack is the important factor" way we have now which requires more skill.

If anything i'd probally perfer to see more ships classes to make fleet compisition even more difficult and getting the balance even harder. I remember Ultimate Newbie once posted some suggested stats which had something like 8-10 differnt classes compared to the 6 we have now. Hey if we also want to make the game a little more causual player friendly and make them more them more likly to help the additional classes could fall into new TT windows so rather than having 8/9/10 as the lowest eta's you would have 8/9/10/11. OFC as with more races more ships also brings about a "harder to balance" problem although probally slightly less than a whole new race
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 09:57   #9
System
System

System is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of lightSystem is a glorious beacon of light

yes pa has had a overhaul in PAX and it was so worth it!! but i think we could continue the trend and expand what was already started with PAX

i dont believe balancing was really the main issue. altho it has always been hard to find a balance between races and the end of a round stat change will almost always compensate for that to go in favour of a diff race, but i believe people are more wanting more "options"

you could hav more races with the same unballence problem but people would prefer it. (or atleast i would)

or bring in some things that will makethe game more intresting like gal fleets and decoys we had it with mines before and PDS (even ifyou dont ;like PDS this IMO is still a step forward)
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 10:23   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by System
yes pa has had a overhaul in PAX and it was so worth it!! but i think we could continue the trend and expand what was already started with PAX

i dont believe balancing was really the main issue. altho it has always been hard to find a balance between races and the end of a round stat change will almost always compensate for that to go in favour of a diff race, but i believe people are more wanting more "options"

you could hav more races with the same unballence problem but people would prefer it. (or atleast i would)

or bring in some things that will makethe game more intresting like gal fleets and decoys we had it with mines before and PDS (even ifyou dont ;like PDS this IMO is still a step forward)
Balance is a major issue, its been responsable for largely crippling the round on a number of occasions. And how does having more races make the game more fun, more races doesnt bring more players and it doesnt change much in your gameplay style (as theres only a handful of differences per race, none of which are overly major). All it really does is increase the chances of one race being vastly stronger or vastly too weaker while decreasing the amount of possible targets each race has

And readding old discarded features that didnt work isnt taking a step forward, its taking a step back
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 10:59   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I like the idea of the multiple-targetting. It might keep people who only build one class of ship from being as dominate.
Do you remember when sentinels were frigate-corvette-all? And vsharraks fighter-corvette?

I don't remember xandathriis building much other ships than those two. They fought off each other on which one has more vsharraks, and roided everyone else with sentinels. I reckon, that multiple targetting would give even more room to "one trick pony" fleets, than the current setting; unless it was somehow severely restricted (greatly reduced damages for secondary targets, or so).
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 19:02   #12
System
System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Balance is a major issue, its been responsable for largely crippling the round on a number of occasions. And how does having more races make the game more fun, more races doesnt bring more players and it doesnt change much in your gameplay style (as theres only a handful of differences per race, none of which are overly major). All it really does is increase the chances of one race being vastly stronger or vastly too weaker while decreasing the amount of possible targets each race has

And readding old discarded features that didnt work isnt taking a step forward, its taking a step back
the idea of more races is not necaserily to bring in new players (altho i dont think it would make new players stay away) it is to keep old players like myself her to make the game more intresting with more variables alowing people to have a larger choice. andim not just talking races also other ideas anything that alows more "individualism" not every single player just doing the same tactics for a game it is a bit repetative.

im not saying bring back ideas that have been tried and not worked but i think its a step forward to consider more options in game maybe the ideas before didnt work but to just scrap it is not as benaficial as modifying the idea to something that can stick.

IMO and only my opinion i would rather see more wider range of tactics and variables than trying to find this all ilusive balance that i dnot think can be found at least with a wider spread of races there is less people playing as the "dominant" races