User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 6 Apr 2012, 18:06   #51
Mek
InSomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Durham, England
Posts: 1,447
Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Jagex have been a let down in terms of improving planetarion from day one. Its genuinely a real shame that they have invested little to nothing in to the game in the year or so they have owned it and it really shows. I also think the "community manager" showed just what a joke the person and the role is and indeed still no mention of us on their website at all.....
__________________

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2012, 01:28   #52
Korsan
Always MadcowS
 
Korsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 432
Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Jagex have been a let down in terms of improving planetarion from day one. Its genuinely a real shame that they have invested little to nothing in to the game in the year or so they have owned it and it really shows. I also think the "community manager" showed just what a joke the person and the role is and indeed still no mention of us on their website at all.....
signed.
__________________
[Flash][Madcows][Howling Rain][Vision][Osiris][horde][xVx]

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2012, 14:54   #53
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android
 
-=Zyth=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Hell
Posts: 413
-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad View Post
pa needs integrating with facebook, and to go back to basics. The game was only ever any fun because of the simplicity and how 200 could destroy so many. Get PA back to basics with simple fu n and people will come back.
I am heartily surprised this has not already been done. This game is exactly the kind of low-tech community gaming that is booming on social media platforms.

Somebody somewhere, who may well have played the game in it's heyday, will probably get there ahead of Jagex. Call it Planetwars or Space War. Considering how massive the userbase is of Facebook it wouldn't take much effort to pull in a few hundred thousand players.

A group of planetarion veterans could do exactly this... Or Jagex could.
__________________
God loves his children

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2012, 06:34   #54
neroon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 734
neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

what i dont understand is, why on earth do you still carry on with this subject.. Even if you had any response, what would it change? Im quite sure that the answer is "nothing"

everyone that is around knows where this game is heading, actually where it has been heading for many years already.. and i seriously doubt that anything will change the course (yes, im suggesting that there will be nothing done and eventually will be closed OR re-sold to some other awesome owner)

get over it, im sure u can find alot of things more exciting than this :P
__________________
VISION FTW
THIS IS ULTORES
neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2012, 19:17   #55
Korsan
Always MadcowS
 
Korsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 432
Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

I think people believed that Jagex would be different than all the other owners as they showed themself as caring owners with some visions. Broken "promises" never lead to good feedback. People are not happy with the way Jagex handles things (future plansand their non existing communication with the community).
__________________
[Flash][Madcows][Howling Rain][Vision][Osiris][horde][xVx]

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2012, 04:13   #56
wakey
Hamster
 
wakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Crewe, England
Posts: 3,609
wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Send a message via ICQ to wakey Send a message via MSN to wakey
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=- View Post
I am heartily surprised this has not already been done. This game is exactly the kind of low-tech community gaming that is booming on social media platforms.

Somebody somewhere, who may well have played the game in it's heyday, will probably get there ahead of Jagex. Call it Planetwars or Space War. Considering how massive the userbase is of Facebook it wouldn't take much effort to pull in a few hundred thousand players.

A group of planetarion veterans could do exactly this... Or Jagex could.
I don't actually agree. When I drifted away from PA I used the skills picked up during the thousands of hours spent working for planetarion in the various roles I held here to pick myself up some work in the Video Game industry with a focus on Social Gaming and it has been one of my main sources of income for the last 5 years.

What you soon realise when you spend time working for successful social games as well as at the other extream with complex MMO's is PA is a strange beast that is effectively caught between a rock and a hard place.

It can never compete with something like EVE as the browser based nature pretty much forces it into being a more simple and ticker based rather that EVE's complex real time experiance BUT it's simply too complex and involving to be a social game.


Spinner simply got lucky with his timing, he had the right product for the internet community at the time as the net was still a geeky placemat was largely a place the young felt at home. They didn't have the commitments in general that you have later in life and they could let PA take over their life. This generation got older however they left school/Uni and got jobs and family's that required more and more of the time they used to play PA in. As technology improved the 'hardcore' games simply moved beyond PA's potential leaving it in the wilderness with no way of getting put of it without changing the core elements that older timers are so protective over.

It needs to decide what it want to be, a niche hardcore game that people will pay for and pay more for or a mass audience social game. Either way it needs someone to sit down with a blank page of paper and start from scratch as either a hardcore or Social game to make the game relavent today again
__________________
Wakey
PD and Suggestions Moderator
Co-founder of [F-Crew]
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2012, 14:53   #57
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,281
Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

It's funny you say that wakey. While I agree with your basic premise about Spinner just being at the right place at the right time with the right idea, I disagree about PA not being a social game. The only reason I still play PA is because it is a social game that doesn't chew up to much of my time. If PA was like Eve from a time commitment standpoint I'd call it quits. If it took much less time to play then I would probably also quit because there wouldn't be enough interaction with other people for it to still be social. At least for the remaining PA player base PA is almost entirely social, the game itself is fairly mundane and boring. But you are right in that we're mostly just a bunch of bored nerds who don't want to leave our friends, so we put in enough time to stick around.
__________________
Romans 10:9-10

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2012, 17:14   #58
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!
 
MrLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 687
MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
It's funny you say that wakey. While I agree with your basic premise about Spinner just being at the right place at the right time with the right idea, I disagree about PA not being a social game. The only reason I still play PA is because it is a social game that doesn't chew up to much of my time. If PA was like Eve from a time commitment standpoint I'd call it quits. If it took much less time to play then I would probably also quit because there wouldn't be enough interaction with other people for it to still be social. At least for the remaining PA player base PA is almost entirely social, the game itself is fairly mundane and boring. But you are right in that we're mostly just a bunch of bored nerds who don't want to leave our friends, so we put in enough time to stick around.
EVE isn't as much of a time sink as you think, you can be a lot more part time in EVE than in PA.

Yes its a grind to get the ISK and Materials, but you can easily fly around in cheap T1 Frigates and Cruisers and have a blast in Low-Sec.

EVE you can do PvP, which can take around 1-2 hours and this is during normal waking hours (6PM onwards, remember that EVE is worldwide so some one is always on).

Massive fleet fights happen mostly over weekends, but they happen rarely (just stick to a lowsec pirate corp).

And when the PvP stops, you can do some PvE (Killing bots for profit), or even do some mining...

PA suffers from the playtime of 2-4 in the morning, which is derived from the fact thats its mostly european players.
__________________
<Kila> WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY PRECIOUS FORUMS
<Zeyi> 24h forum closure
<Zeyi> all posts recalled

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2012, 19:32   #59
Paisley
Say Your Prayers Ya fanny
 
Paisley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Paisley - Scotland
Posts: 1,953
Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Paisley
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

I thought someone won eve.

Like set up a banking cartel and then bought a lolship.

the only way to break the 12-5am peak time is to make the game more offensive
__________________
Missing Subh (r15-r18)
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2012, 01:26   #60
wakey
Hamster
 
wakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Crewe, England
Posts: 3,609
wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Send a message via ICQ to wakey Send a message via MSN to wakey
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
It's funny you say that wakey. While I agree with your basic premise about Spinner just being at the right place at the right time with the right idea, I disagree about PA not being a social game. The only reason I still play PA is because it is a social game that doesn't chew up to much of my time. If PA was like Eve from a time commitment standpoint I'd call it quits. If it took much less time to play then I would probably also quit because there wouldn't be enough interaction with other people for it to still be social. At least for the remaining PA player base PA is almost entirely social, the game itself is fairly mundane and boring. But you are right in that we're mostly just a bunch of bored nerds who don't want to leave our friends, so we put in enough time to stick around.
You are using 'social game' in a slightly different way to the way I am. Any game that has a multiplayer option obvious has a social aspect to it but 'Social Games' are the kind of games you see on Facebook which are relatively low commitment (for example Farmville) and leverage the social side of gaming but also in a fairly non-committal method and at a fairly low level. Its more of a casual gaming experience hence why most social games user base skews towards 30+ Females as opposed to the usual demo of Young males

PA's social aspect operate at a much higher level, closer to that required in MMORPG's where relationships with other players are essential and requires immense commitment on both sides. You could leverage the social networks features and it might help a little in the short term but its really not compatible to get the most out of it. That would require the social aspect to be simplified and made less essential and certainly from the 2-4am aspect that MrLobster mentions
__________________
Wakey
PD and Suggestions Moderator
Co-founder of [F-Crew]
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2012, 16:31   #61
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(
 
Intruder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Only 5 times World Cup Winner Country
Posts: 501
Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
The community and its desire to keep playing a PA-like game, a lack of alternatives for a real-time MMOStrategyG (Eve being the only exception I can think of)

XXXXXXXXX, i like the combat system even better
__________________
Alliances:

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn




Last edited by Appocomaster; 30 Jul 2012 at 16:32. Reason: totally censoring the name of a "competititor"
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2012, 03:10   #62
Cochese
Retired
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Back Porch Bar
Posts: 2,357
Cochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to beholdCochese is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

I log into EvE for no more than 20 minutes a day (if that) and my account pays for itself. Once every week or two, I spend an hour or so on it to keep my scheme running. I've not flown a ship or shot guns at anything in four or five months. All "free". If I want something shiny, I throw real money at it, convert to PLEX, then sell for ISK and buy it if I don't have the raw ISK on hand.

I've not paid for a month's subscription in almost three years.

When I have time, I do PvP and it's fun. Mostly because we're all drinking and don't give a shit. We fly what we can "afford to lose", have fun, and it's not in the middle of the ****ing night, It's not an "ender" if I die or lose what I'm flying.

For the "instant gratification" effect, I really like the Angry Birds Tournament thingie on Facebook.
__________________
I'd rather be fishing.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2013, 03:25   #63
skiddy
wild one
 
skiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,548
skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Send a message via MSN to skiddy
Re: Jagex Introduction / Q&A

I would just like to say "I told you so."

Also, if anyone does play EVE, drop Gregor Lachlan a contact request and say who you are / that you're from PA.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2013