User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Mar 2005, 01:28   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
[Discuss] Reward for finding bugs, typos, errors etc

I propose that PAteam award people 1 Asteroid of finder's choice for finding bugs in the game, possibly typos in the pages and errors in the manual. This reward might be best postponed to pt73 if the item is discovered before then.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 01:50   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reward for finding bugs, typos, errors etc

after a point, 1 asteroid seems insignificant. Still its an idea
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 01:56   #3
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

At first glance I was against it but gettin 1 asteroid is kinda entertaining... especially if it comes with a msg

as long as Phil doesnt find 500 bugs in the beginning and then roids us all with his new ships

I kinda like the idea
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 01:58   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
after a point, 1 asteroid seems insignificant. Still its an idea
1 Asteroid is pretty insignificant. The idea is to give something tangible that doesn't affect balance much. You shouldn't be able to gain (m)any ranks just because you found a typo, right?

Alternatively, you could go the arrogant comp sci genius route and give 2^<number of bugs> roids
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 03:48   #5
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

thats the point of beta?
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 03:52   #6
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
thats the point of beta?
There will always be bugs.
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 04:29   #7
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

the ur trying to sell a game, stating u get a reward for finding bugs? stupid imo
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 04:34   #8
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
the ur trying to sell a game, stating u get a reward for finding bugs? stupid imo
No, you're stupid!

Anyway, the idea is to offer incentive for bugs to be fixed so they'll get fixed faster and there therefor be fewer of them.
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 06:03   #9
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Sounds good, I think you'll get the typos out early.

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 07:47   #10
Alki
Drink is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
No, you're stupid!

Anyway, the idea is to offer incentive for bugs to be fixed so they'll get fixed faster and there therefor be fewer of them.
i agree i am.

i do agree it is a good idea, but im jus saying pa is a game u are selling therefore offering rewards for finding bugs aint gonna be an attractive sellpoint
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 08:35   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

all software had bugs

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 09:52   #12
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

lol, good idea but... 1 roid... it makes me chuckle

[INS]Goafer
Goafer LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 11:04   #13
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

I guess the reward should suit the bug. If you find a high exploidable bug you should get a high reward.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 14:35   #14
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
all software had bugs
Starships troopers. That had loads of bugs.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 16:01   #15
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
I guess the reward should suit the bug. If you find a high exploidable bug you should get a high reward.
No it should be 1 roid.. this isnt about the reward itself but more a way of saying thx for finding/reporting the bug.. its symbolic
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 16:05   #16
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
No it should be 1 roid.. this isnt about the reward itself but more a way of saying thx for finding/reporting the bug.. its symbolic
well if the bug gets you 100 roids...
i know it's a moral choice, but the bigger reward (maybe 10 roids or 1 ship of every class, nothing really big) should be that extra push in the back to report it.
Off course the pa team will tell what kind of reward should be in place.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 16:07   #17
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought those bugs are 'negligible', and that they are usually pointed out by the people who find them on IRC or some other form.

When I read the title of this thread the idea that jumped into my mind was possibly a credit for pointing out major bugs and possible exploits. This is possibly more likely to affect the game, but at the same time I can't see why both minor and major bugs couldn't be rewarded.

The unit scan 'bug?' pointed out last round, which also came with proof of how to get 99% accuracy of a unit scan, IMO deserved to be rewarded.

Anyway, I agree with this, but typoes are a bit extreme
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 17:21   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Thumbs up Re: Reward for finding bugs, typos, errors etc

This is an excellent idea!

I would extend it to typos and omissions in the manual, if they are significant.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2005, 20:44   #19
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

I thought usually you got your planet screwed if you found a bug or omission in the manual.

<------- cynic

so i'd welcome any change in the status quo

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2005, 16:35   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: [Discuss] Reward for finding bugs, typos, errors etc

its working pretty well in the Public Preview round

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2005, 19:04   #21
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

yes but not in real round though
I dont want to be looking everywere again kal for another few etc... roids

Unread 18 Mar 2005, 15:57   #22
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

I didnt get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 16:52   #23
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I know it worked well in the public preview, but if this is more than like 1 roid, _SOME_ people will argue about semi colons, colons, commas, etc and whether they're correctly utilized to the nth degree, which is silly. Maybe rewards for bugs / omissions with COMPLETE REPLACEMENTs so an omission in the manual has to be written for a roid
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 16:54   #24
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySpoon
I didnt get one
I got about 20

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 16:59   #25
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
I got about 20
I got to fix half my bugs personally but i got a few i think
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:09   #26
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

Don't reward for grammatical or spelling errors.
Do reward for factual/technical or statistical errors
Do Reward for Omissions.
Do reward for repeatable bugs

One thing though. It may be an incentive for people not to report bugs during betas and previews in hopes of getting a few extra roids during protection, when even a few can make a huge difference. So you may want to carry rewards for bug fixes and manual gaffs found in preview over to real round. I would not do that for the closed betas however since it will give some an unfair advantage.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:18   #27
noah02
The Original Terran

I think the beta was an excellent turn out for ppl finding everything to be honest and was the most how do i say active beta for bugs round type thingy i ever seen
It cleared up a lot of things to make PA look sexier more profesional and just improved it 10 fold in some places (like fleet screen is briliant and simple to use for all ppl now).
But in a real game i think we should wait for these free roids till after tick 36/72 or something just giving to much of an advantage right at the start can be very wealthy indeed.

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 17:19   #28
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I got to fix half my bugs personally but i got a few i think

Wish I was allowed to do stuff like that but I don't want to be stuck in 1.1 lol

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 23:31   #29
Banned
Banned

The number of times I had to recorrect the ship descriptions bordered on obscene. I swear I fixed the Buccaneer half a dozen times
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 07:36   #30
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
Don't reward for grammatical or spelling errors.
I reckon that there should be rewards for typos - i dont know about you but when i am reading loarge blocks of text, my eyes focus on typoes and mispellings. Especially when reading something written in American - 'color' keeps standing out, and there are z's littered everywhere like they are asleep :P

but i do agree that any typos etc should fall under the PATeam's discretion - finding one colon error wouldnt earn you a roid, but editing and correcting eg a page of the manual, otoh, would.

Other things are automatically 1 roid .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote