User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Jul 2004, 00:28   #1
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow I think that everyone...

... with a DSL or cable internet connection who is using Windows (XP) should go and activate auto-update now!

I mean, really, it was "trendy" to run XP-AntiSpy and all that tools which disable your automatic windows updates to "give you more control" and to "save the hidden stuff going in your system's background" in the past.

But, FFS, do even you IT professionals check for updates THAT regularily?

Especially dumb users shouldn't have that feature disabled by somebody else.
In the world of critical patches (lo Blaster lo, Sasser), one day or one week CAN be too late.

So, c'mon, go to "System configuration, Administration / Management, Services, and set "Automatic Updates" to "Automatic" or at least "manually". Don't deactivate it.

Then go to System Properties (e.g. press [WIN] + [BREAK]), Updates tab, and check "Keep this computer up to date".

I can only recommend it, and as a person who fixes PCs for co-workers and friends, it should save me some time & trouble!

So much for my "making the world a better place" today
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:05   #2
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I think that everyone...

i thought microsoft only updated their updates once a month, and if some disastrous exploit happens in between, people have to wait?
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:13   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

**** that, my bandwidth is under my control
and i know about updates -before- they get released, and i check it often enough anyway.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:20   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

If you're on 56k, you run a gateway, have a firewall (decent) on both my the PC & the box, rarely install security patches, what chances do you have of getting an infection?

As I survived everything during the said MSBlaster & MyDoom periods
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:36   #5
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

i think windows update is abit ****ed

it keeps saying it wants to install updates it already has installed

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:48   #6
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: I think that everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
i thought microsoft only updated their updates once a month, and if some disastrous exploit happens in between, people have to wait?
Well, ok, thats right!
But STILL, every day counts, and I usually know about patches BEFORE they're out as well...

Sometimes it's coincidence or whatever, that a patch is just in time. And you don't want your data OR your friend's pc (which is your free time essentially) rely on coincidences? Hm?

Actually I wanted to address the overall "dumb" users, whose computers people like "us" install and fix... And automatic updates are generally GOOD for them.
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 01:49   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why are you talking about it on a forum full of nerds then?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 02:34   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If they don't want to update their xp boxes then it's their problem.

I'll just laugh at them

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 11:20   #9
JetLinus

Arrow Re: I think that everyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Why are you talking about it on a forum full of nerds then?
Because nerds tend to be responsible for a lot of working pc configs out there.

Also, if you have a look at some of the simple computer questions asked around here, you'll have to agree that it's NOT mostly the real kind of geeks who post here.
Or well, they might be geeks (lol posting on an internet forum lol it's for planetarion lol), but not all of them are the real-highend-nerds.
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 12:23   #10
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Automatically download and install, set on all PC's I've ever configured.

Saves me a lot of hassle when clients call about new virii, all I have to say is "You've already got the patch and SAVC is up to date. You'll be fine."
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 12:25   #11
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I just disabled my virus scanner and firewall, went to 56 warez sites and ran every dialer.exe available.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 12:28   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Also SP2 RC2 is the shit
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 12:30   #13
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

It makes Windows kiddie!
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote