User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:00   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Oh shit

so i had AVG run it's virus scan as usual today, only for it to scream at me VIRUS DETECTED :eek: the virus is Trojan horse Downloader.Swizzer.BL and is located on C:\Program Files\C2MEDIA\SETUP.EXE. Now obviously my first reaction is to move it to the virus vault, unfortunatly AVG says that the file can not be moved :eek: again. wtf do i do now?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:01   #2
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
Re: Oh shit

i'd like to officially post the first

"Reformat"

post of this thread....

Reformat.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 00:20   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

hmmm reformat? sounds a little drastic
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:10   #4
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

It is.

Boot into safe mode.

Delete file.

Happy you.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:12   #5
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

...unless there's another file replacing it again on startup
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:19   #6
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Due to dictionary definitions between accuracy and pedantry I'll allow you that one.

Check the Run hive of the registry and the standard Windows startup files too for virus signs.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:28   #7
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

after speaking to a friend on MSN, he advised me to go to Task Manager and to stop all processes, which i did. i then ran another virus scan and this time AVG was able to heal the file. yay. i then decided that it might be a good idea to run Ad-Adware, which i did. However, while Ad-Aware was running, AVG popped up with a shit load of messages warning about viruses, one of which was Download.Swizzle.BL, this time on a different file. bugger . i am now running AVG again to see if it will come up with anything, but i suspect it won't
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:36   #8
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

any news??

I kept getting virus messages so i ran AVG and it found nothing! I had to Wipe my PC in the end!!
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:38   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

so far AVG has found the Download.Swizzer.BL, but none of the others it warned about. wiping my laptop does not appeal to me as it has pretty much everything on it, and i haven't made backups

EDIT: the scans finished, it only found the one virus which it healed ok
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:39   #10
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

I use CD-RW's to backup, I do it reguarly.

and that was my sig.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:42   #11
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

take a hammer

aim it at pc

swing

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:42   #12
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpig #1
I use CD-RW's to backup, I do it reguarly.
i would too, unfortunatly i don't have a CD rewriter, or a floppy drive
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:45   #13
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

IF you don't know how to fix this and you are asking for help on here how to fix it then your screwed already.

Reformat.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:49   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For the love of god just reformat your hard drive
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:49   #15
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i would too, unfortunatly i don't have a CD rewriter, or a floppy drive
Do you have a USB socket?

and that was my sig.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 01:50   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpig #1
Do you have a USB socket?
yes, two
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 02:04   #17
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

You can get these memory sticks to store data on if im correct....

Or you might be able to connect it to another computer and copy the files over and back agaiin?

and that was my sig.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 02:14   #18
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Something tells me that if he get's memory sticks, installs the drivers required that the virus will inevitably end up in the memory stick ready and waiting for the freshly reformatted HD.

Anyway with regards to the virus, is there any sensitive information on your pc or do you do any on-line shopping? Do you play any password secured games where the security of said account is of utmost importance to you? Is the performance of the machine greatly affected?

If no to all of the above, **** it let your pc be a zombie for a bit till you have some alternatives at hand or a technical guru friend who can come over and help.

Until then, if you have anything that is password secure or use on-line shopping or have anything you wish to install I suggest refraining for now till you do a reformat, just in case it's put a keylogger on your system somewhere.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 03:54   #19
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Something tells me that if he get's memory sticks, installs the drivers required that the virus will inevitably end up in the memory stick ready and waiting for the freshly reformatted HD.

Anyway with regards to the virus, is there any sensitive information on your pc or do you do any on-line shopping? Do you play any password secured games where the security of said account is of utmost importance to you? Is the performance of the machine greatly affected?

If no to all of the above, **** it let your pc be a zombie for a bit till you have some alternatives at hand or a technical guru friend who can come over and help.

Until then, if you have anything that is password secure or use on-line shopping or have anything you wish to install I suggest refraining for now till you do a reformat, just in case it's put a keylogger on your system somewhere.
i've got a memory stick, but i use that for transporting college work to and fro. i'm a bit concerned coz i ordered some weebls stuff t-shirts and brought some stuff off of eBay using my mums credit card yesterday, and i have no idea how long the virus has been there :eek: . the only password protected games i play are PA and NationStates, so nothing vitally important. the only thing i'm really worried about is my college work if the virus decides to be really nasty and starts wiping stuff, and also my dad has a lot of sensitive info on his computer, which i'm connecting to the net through on our wireless network
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 04:23   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
It is.

Boot into safe mode.

Delete file.

Happy you.
If its a trojan then there may well be other backdoors installed on his system by now, a complete reformat is the standard solution for a root level compromise assuming you have anything on the machine that you would like guaranteed secure.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 04:30   #21
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

okay, so how do i reformat my HD and what mega important things should i do before reformatting?
We shall remember them.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 04:55   #22
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Save all your old files...

and that was my sig.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:04   #23
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Reformatting should always be the last resort. 90% of virus's can be sucessfully and fully removed, gone are the days when real virus programmers existed instead of the script kiddies propergating the net these days. Only in the event that critical system files are compromised should you ever consider a reformat.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:21   #24
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

do you have a firewall?

it's easy to set one to just allow your browser access the 'net, and nothing else (except things you trust). A trojan would have to ask permission to do it's dirty deeds and you can just click 'no'. (try sygate, they do a free one I used to use, and it recognises known trojans)
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:38   #25
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

(Reformat)
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:42   #26
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

first of many lol, dave you're a n00b posts.

also, get spybot, it's useful for desposing of spyware, and stop using IE, if you must use something like it use that opera skin i gave you or netscape.
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:42   #27
1-X
overtired

clearly the best thing is to send all your infected computers to me, and buy new ones
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 15:43   #28
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

nice try 1-X, i know where he lives, i can get it before you .
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 01:34   #29
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

How dare you class PA as 'not vitally important.'

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2004, 02:01   #30
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanG
How dare you class PA as 'not vitally important.'
sorry

UPDATE: the messages that AVG keeps flashing up whenever i scan with Ad-Aware, warn me that there is the Java/ByteVerify (or something like that) present in the Ad-Aware program file. is this something i should be concerned about?
We shall remember them.