User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Feb 2004, 16:39   #1
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Super Duper Money Saving Card Shenannigans

So I just got approved for a Mint credit card, with 0% interest for the next 8 months.

That means I can transfer my Barclaycard balance (yeah **** off you **** *******) and my Cahoot flexible loan onto the Mint card, and pay no interest on either. And then in 8 months time I can move the balance back to my Cahoot loan, or move to another 0% card offer, or just stay on the Mint card and still save about £500 a year.

Muah ha haaaaa.

Anyone got any other tips?

I quite like the sound of the "put all the money off your new credit card into a savings account and pay the minimum every month, but move the balance to another credit card when the 0% interest offer is about to run out" idea.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 16:41   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Super Duper Money Saving Card Shenannigans

Nice idea, but if you forget to pay it off you'll probably get stung... bad!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 16:43   #3
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

"Direct Debit"

Even if I stay on Mint after 8 months, it costs £40 less in payments each month, and the combined interest is much lower.

Or did you mean with the "save their money" idea?

Last edited by sayonara; 13 Feb 2004 at 16:47. Reason: stupid smilies
sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 16:48   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Anyone got any other tips?
Don't borrow money?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 16:51   #5
sayonara
Shai Halud

I think it's somewhat implied that that's redundant advice in the original post.

And if you do idea 2, you make money.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 18:14   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd do that but they laugh when I submit a credit card application now.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 18:56   #7
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I went for Mint because they are a fairly new service (from RBS) and therefore probably have slightly more lax requirements - they need customers. If you keep getting applications rejected, don't make any new ones for a while - failed applications within a 6 month period can work against you.

The one to avoid right now is Goldfish, as they are taking large losses.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 18:12   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

ditto

banks hate me, apart from HSBC, who cant afford to hate me, as i own them 6 grand, and im not even a ****ing student
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 19:49   #9
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

lolly roffle

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 20:21   #10
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
ditto

banks hate me, apart from HSBC, who cant afford to hate me, as i own them 6 grand, and im not even a ****ing student
thats nothing compared to my mates money problem - owes his car finance people just under £7000, has lots of items on finance (e.g. tele, video, dvd player, ps2, the list goes on), owes the bank (due to a loan) £3200, owes £1500 on his credit card, £1000 on his overdraft - plus owes me £20!

not bad for someone who works fulltime and is only 19 (literally a couple of months ago he turned 19)

worst thing is he doesnt really have anything to show for all that debt (and when u point this out to him he always has the same reply 'iv got shitloads of dvds though')
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:04   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

tell him to try and talk to him bank about an individual review, depending on his job etc they might be able to offer him some good suggestions.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:48   #12
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

tell him to hit his mum with a spoon

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:50   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

hitting his mum with a spoon will not solve his debt problems, unless she promises him serious money if he will stop, which i doubt.
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 22:22   #14
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Credit cards are a mug's game. Unless of course you pay off the full ammount every month, then they are just handy.

Newsflash: If you can't afford it, don't buy it until you can!

I nearly fell off my chair laughing today when I heard that the average credit card user pays 6 weeks of their wages a year in interest to credit card companies!

I'll stick to cash, Direct Debit and Debit Cards thx.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 22:24   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Thats because your "rational"
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 00:52   #16
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Capitalism hates Communists.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 00:53   #17
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
Credit cards are a mug's game. Unless of course you pay off the full ammount every month, then they are just handy.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing today when I heard that the average credit card user pays 6 weeks of their wages a year in interest to credit card companies!

Odd

I pay around £4 a month in interest. So thats less than £50 a year , .... wait , are there people here who earn £50 a week?

Peons
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 00:54   #18
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:

yes, but it was sooooooooooo useful to get that router i needed tonight for £35 rather than wait until the end of the month and get it for £50 you see...
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 01:40   #19
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Credit cards are a mug's game.
A credit card is just a pocket-sized mortgage. Call me insular but I don't know many people who bought their houses outright, and strangely I know very few mugs. Perhaps borrowing money is not just for mugs? The evidence seems to suggest it.

I think you're confusing "mugs borrow money" with "money borrowers are mugs".

Credit is a fact of life in this society, but as you can see from THE POINT of this thread it's easy to ride the system.

Like Kura, my interest is a measly £50~ per annum. That's peanuts. I'm happy to pay that for the convenience of being able to travel the globe at will, order tickets to the Opera over the web, and buy myself a new piece of consumerist electro kit without having to traipse into town carrying wads of cash in my paws.

[edit] except that I ****ing hate ballsycard now and I'm leaving them. Ta ta chaps. I'm also waiting until 10 days before the end of the 90-day satisfaction deadline on my insurance policy with them, and cancelling that too. ****ers.

Last edited by sayonara; 16 Feb 2004 at 01:45.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 07:28   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
A credit card is just a pocket-sized mortgage. Call me insular but I don't know many people who bought their houses outright, and strangely I know very few mugs. Perhaps borrowing money is not just for mugs? The evidence seems to suggest it.
You're correct of course, but the difference is that (generally) credit cards are a much higer rate of interest than a mortgage.

The difference (often) between poorer people and richer people is not that one is in debt, it's the method and type of debt. Poorer people tend to depend on money from more expensive or unregulated sources (from loan sharks or 'informal lenders', to catalogues, credit cards, store cards, etc). More wealthy people often still owe money, but it's secured and cheaper (a mortgage or secured loan). Obviously very wealthy people still use credit cards but if they are sensible they will follow the Barclaycard's chairman's advice and pay them off each month.

There's nothing wrong with credit cards per se - if you're using them in the manner you mention in the opening post they're fine. They do however often promote irresponsible spending, impulse buys, and unmanagable debt etc, etc. Credit limits often seem wildly unrealistic and purely related to payment history and not ability to repay. My mother's credit card limit is well over double her gross annual income - mine is 1/54th of my annual income for instance.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 07:46   #21
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
mine is 1/54th of my annual income for instance.
Hmm. I'm gonna guess you make £27K and your limit is £500.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 08:03   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Hmm. I'm gonna guess you make £27K and your limit is £500.
No.

My limit is 350. (according to a report I got from Experian, I've been late paying in 20 of the last 36 months payments)
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:06   #23
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
You're correct of course, but the difference is that (generally) credit cards are a much higer rate of interest than a mortgage.
So don't buy a house with it.

-1 Redundant
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:07   #24
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

heh, my credit card limit on my UK card is about 2K or something, since I am such a good payer. on my German card it is about the same. German credit cards suck though, the banking system here is nowhere near as good as the UK.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:09   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
So don't buy a house with it.
Mortgages aren't only used to buy houses (or homes generally).
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:18   #26
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
No.

My limit is 350. (according to a report I got from Experian, I've been late paying in 20 of the last 36 months payments)
Thats my limit on my cc also.

I feel inadequate when friends say their limits are much higher

ps: I never reached that limit

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:20   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

It was the limit I got when I joined as a student five years ago. They still haven't upgraded it.

I've been past the limit about 80% of the time I've had it though, to be fair to them.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 10:22   #28
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
It was the limit I got when I joined as a student five years ago. They still haven't upgraded it.

I've been past the limit about 80% of the time I've had it though, to be fair to them.
that will be why. They just kept upgrading mine without asking me. I think it started at 500 and then just went up and up.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 12:45   #29
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Mortgages aren't only used to buy houses (or homes generally).
Fine then.

- "a house"
+ "anything you might use a mortgage for"
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 15:07   #30
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I quite like the sound of the "put all the money off your new credit card into a savings account and pay the minimum every month, but move the balance to another credit card when the 0% interest offer is about to run out" idea.
I did that. I had £2000ish in an overdraft and credit card. Got myself an Egg card at 0% for 6 months. Then moved to an RBS (now Mint) at 0% for 10 months, then again for another 6 months.

Problem is; I now owe £3500!!!

Oooops

Heh, I can afford it :P

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 16:54   #31
sayonara
Shai Halud

You're meant to put their money into a high interest savings account while you're on 0% interest Mong.

lol
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 19:52   #32
roadrunner_0
cynic

i just asked HSBC to drop my limit down from 2k to £500 as it was too blooy tempting
Unread 17 Feb 2004, 01:52   #33
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm not getting a proper credit card until I'm actually earning money...
Unread 17 Feb 2004, 11:20   #34
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Don't borrow money?
Too damn right. I owe so much money, I`m stuffed for the next few years :-(

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2004, 13:34   #35
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Too damn right. I owe so much money, I`m stuffed for the next few years :-(
Don't despair - there's plenty you can do to shrink the debt as far as possible.