User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 03:00   #1
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Understanding Formulae / Xan Tickplan

Ok, back in R28 I created a tickplan that went in to a lot of fine detail, using the formulae provided in the game manual. The tickplan was quite effective, and after 3 days of me saying "watch this, guys - I'll be #1 after the first night out of protection", I was #1 the first night out of protection.

What I have created now is a tickplan, using the R31 setup, which allows anyone who follows it to have 3 Xan CR roiding fleets at PT72, and has enough dists to make sure that Cath scanners wont ever be able to get through.

Click here to download the tickplan.

Now, this is not a debate about how effective the strategy employed in the tickplan is or is not, but more a demonstration on how to use the calculations that you don't normally get to see.

Even though I've done the tickplan in Excel, I've done each and every calculation by hand and commented pretty much everything so when you read it, there's always an explanation of what formula is being used, and how it applies to your planet.

Of course, if you'd like to follow the tickplan then be my guest!

Bottom line: this is for anyone curious about some of the inner workings of PA, presented in an easy-to-understand way that should be understood by anyone.

Sound understanding of maths not required!
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:36   #2
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough
Re: Understanding Formulae / Xan Tickplan

wheres the comments?
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 16:45   #3
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Just hover over cells with red dots in them - or at least, that's how it worked in OO.o.
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 18:30   #4
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

which government did you choose? I'm assuming that matters...

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 19:48   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Democracy, obviously. 90 Base research x (100% + 50% + 40%) = 171
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 20:43   #6
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

ok thanks!

Also, now during ticks 2-7 are we supposed to activate as many roids as we can or save the money for construction/fleet?

I havn't played since round 10..

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 20:44   #7
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

you're meant to initiate every tick until you reach the maximum roids your HCT research permits. it should be 200 under this tickplan.
Unread 24 Apr 2009, 22:23   #8
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

any specific ratio or 1 to 1 to 1?

Unread 24 Apr 2009, 22:57   #9
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar View Post
any specific ratio or 1 to 1 to 1?

Depends on race, for Xan it's 1:1:1, yes. Terran relies more on Metal, Cathaar on Crystal and Zikonian on Eonium. Eitraides will depend on the fleet you choose to go with.
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 02:27   #10
OlaTa
Friends and Foes

OlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
Depends on race, for Xan it's 1:1:1, yes. Terran relies more on Metal, Cathaar on Crystal and Zikonian on Eonium. Eitraides will depend on the fleet you choose to go with.
ETD used to depend on what you concentrate.
After gayte played around with stats, and changed costs (some cath/zik/ter* cost are damn gay aswell) ETD needs 1:1:1 ratio

*some ships cost ratios are not traditional
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 02:28   #11
Patrikc

Omg epic fail. :|

Might as well have removed their trading bonus then.
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 01:35   #12
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlaTa View Post
ETD used to depend on what you concentrate.
After gayte played around with stats, and changed costs (some cath/zik/ter* cost are damn gay aswell) ETD needs 1:1:1 ratio

*some ships cost ratios are not traditional
Yeah Gate, whats with that...?
I hadn't even noticed, but the ships costs are now a utter total and quite lame mess... Bad Girl ;(

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 02:19   #13
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

lol. I ve traded to get more E roids because I wanted steal ships, and now I see the costs. ffs man. !

Could of have announced it! ( big deal at pt 25! or so! )

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2009, 18:05   #14
t3k
The Video Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
26 Apr 2009 02:09 god, what a shit plan. xp at pt 72l haha
Some people I guess can't help but be morons

Besides, anyone who'd spoken to me would know even I'm not following it
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 04:14   #15
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

I wont be following it, but the plan does have certain strengths.

As for XP at tick 72, in previous rounds ive seen planets come out with 4-5k + XP after the first night or 2, i think youd be fairly unaware of how the game actually works if you werent interested in taking 300k score.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 00:47   #16
t3k
The Video Guy

Ok, there seem to be a large number of people under the impression that I am actually using this tickplan.

I'm not.

This was more an exercise in pushing the formula to their limits in order to get something done. If it had been more about a legitimate tactic I intended to use, I wouldn't have a) posted it for everyone to see or b) annotated it to such a large extent.

I made the tickplan and showed the working because most people dont have a clue how the game works behind the scenes. I was just doing my bit to help!

So yeah, thanks for being idiots and failing to read the initial post, where I actually said that it was not about the strategy, but about the formula.

You win, internet