User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 03:48   #1
branko

branko is an unknown quantity at this point
Can we stop DOS-ing tnk you

can individuals called themself eclypse or tot or whatever you like to be called stop DOS-ing private PCs. Are IRC servers now boring so you now go on BC-DC when thay start pick-up defence.

tnk you.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 03:50   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Didn't someone take out one of the Eclipse servers earlier today?

Be that as it may, your post is based purely on supposition and if you give evidence of it to the Eclipse HC's, the culprit WILL be removed from the alliance.

This would be rather less likely if it was a member of Pack or Ely from past evidence.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:01   #3
branko

branko is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Didn't someone take out one of the Eclipse servers earlier today?

Be that as it may, your post is based purely on supposition and if you give evidence of it to the Eclipse HC's, the culprit WILL be removed from the alliance.

This would be rather less likely if it was a member of Pack or Ely from past evidence.
Dosing IRC server is one thing,DOS-ing individuals private PC is a way too much (coz he or she is DC in this moment who coordinate defence)
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:02   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by branko
Dosing IRC server is one thing,DOS-ing individuals private PC is a way too much (coz he or she is DC in this moment who coordinate defence)
Both are intolerable imo.

But you're just restating the obvious as opposed to responding.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:06   #5
§pa¢e¢ook¦e
Teh Legion. Urwinism

§pa¢e¢ook¦e can only hope to improve
maybe more DC-BC will help aswell for unforseen happenings ?
but Dos-ing is kinda lame,
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:07   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I think it brings a nice random element to the game.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:25   #7
Iceaxe
Blood

Iceaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats some nice proof you have there.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:46   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

That's a funny way of looking at it.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:49   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
That's a funny way of looking at it.
I always see the bright side, you know?
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 06:26   #10
Toop
Banned

Toop is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't a good firewall enuff to stop a dos attack?

(doesn't know much about it)
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 07:14   #11
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Toop
Isn't a good firewall enuff to stop a dos attack?

(doesn't know much about it)
not at all...

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 10:50   #12
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I take it you would welcome 'a nice random element' in your every day computer life as well then?

Send me a forum pm with your ip, and I shall lighten up your life.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 10:57   #13
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
a good firewall is a hardware firewall which many don't have
It is sad to see such acts as it is only a game but what ia even more sad is how these few ppl class pa as greater than rl.
The reason why I say this is because some would rather go to jail than lose ships
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:04   #14
Silk_311x
Free

Silk_311x will become famous soon enoughSilk_311x will become famous soon enough
Landing in jail is unlikly for most people. If you called my local police and told them I was Dos'n you, they would probably have no idea what you where talking about, and even if they did, the courts are so backed up with important cases it would take over a year for me to go in front of the judge, and unles you want to fly down to where I live to testify, t here would be no evidence, in wich case I would walk free. Convicting most people of this would prove bothersome (unless of course you dosed a major company or something and they lost money)

In any accord, where is the proff that you where dos,d perhaps your ISP was having problems that day.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:20   #15
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

virogenesis is infamous around these partsvirogenesis is infamous around these parts
the isp would have kept the logs & if you do a dos attack wrong you could bring down a isp & if you do this they will track you down
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:28   #16
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
anyone care to explain exactally what a dos attack is?
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:31   #17
virogenesis
Proud ex EnTitY bc

Angry

dos = denial of service

when you do a dos attack you send alot of packets to a comp some dos attacks can freeze you're comp others can stop you from using the net
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:58   #18
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
There is no proof that it is anyone out of eclipse or tot, simply b/c the culprits are not in lacking in inteligence as they are in morals.

I hope to god some1 is caught for this act, and i hope to god they show their face at a pa meeting.

-Necro
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 12:51   #19
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Quote:
ev·i·dence
A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment: The broken window was evidence that a burglary had taken place. Scientists weigh the evidence for and against a hypothesis.
Something indicative; an outward sign: evidence of grief on a mourner's face.
Law. The documentary or oral statements and the material objects admissible as testimony in a court of law
Doesnt seem accurate considering what you said. Surely the correct term would be 'based on nothing whatsoever barring my own bias'.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 13:01   #20
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Iceaxe
Thats some nice proof you have there.
Iceaxe got caught DOSing me this morning !
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 14:12   #21
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
There is no proof that it is anyone out of eclipse or tot, simply b/c the culprits are not in lacking in inteligence as they are in morals.

I hope to god some1 is caught for this act, and i hope to god they show their face at a pa meeting.

-Necro
you don't exactly need intelligence to DoS attack someone..unfortunately it's not exactly a difficult thing to do.

i'd actually say that people doing the DoS attacks are lacking in intelligence, which would lead me to believe it's probably fakepack behind them..
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 14:42   #22
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
you don't exactly need intelligence to DoS attack someone..unfortunately it's not exactly a difficult thing to do.

i'd actually say that people doing the DoS attacks are lacking in intelligence, which would lead me to believe it's probably fakepack behind them..
If you can't get def, just organize for your own alliance server to be dos attacked. If you are lucky, Spinner will do the rollback threat.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 15:02   #23
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
DoS

A Denial of Service attack is when someone generates loads and loads of legitimate-looking traffic to a server or PC. To the recieving host, the traffic looks like a request to open a connection, so it allocates a certain number of resources in anticipation of that incoming connection. The attacking host keeps pummeling the victim with open ended requests, and either doesn't bother to process the acknowledgements or doesn't recieve them because of spoofed addresses. The victim host then has to wait for those half-open connections to time out before being able to reallocate those resources, and with the flood of incoming connections, it soon runs out of resources and the machine can no longer process incoming connections, denying legitimate traffic from getting to the host.

It's quite easy to stop a plain old DoS attack. There's many precautions to take to limit your liability including shutting down unneccessary services, setting trigger events in your firewall to reset or deny traffic from a particular host if it's using more than 70-80% of your available bandwidth, identifying and blocking typical attacks, etc etc. Distributed Denial of service is where it gets difficult to defend, because you're being attack from more than one source in this case.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 15:38   #24
Terminator2003

Terminator2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
pathetic

one word for DoS-ing individual players.

if this is true; it means that the HC of some alliance must be aware of this, b/c only a limited amount of people will be able to access the channels of the enemy alliance (spies, halfwitted members etc.).

TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO PREVENT BEING DOS-ed

this one is simple; they can't DoS what they can't see.

therefor, make sure your hostmask (IP) is masked, both on your alliance irc network and on PA network, where they might track your IP address. for example Fury used to have bots that tracked IP addressed and linked them to irc nicks; same bot Xanadu had r5 or r6 i believe.

To mask your address on Netgamers, use /mode +x <nick>

The same for your alliance server, usualy, but maybe your IRCOP can help you with that.

good luck guys
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 16:44   #25
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: pathetic

Quote:
Originally posted by Terminator2003
one word for DoS-ing individual players.

if this is true; it means that the HC of some alliance must be aware of this, b/c only a limited amount of people will be able to access the channels of the enemy alliance (spies, halfwitted members etc.).

TEMPORARY SOLUTION TO PREVENT BEING DOS-ed

this one is simple; they can't DoS what they can't see.

therefor, make sure your hostmask (IP) is masked, both on your alliance irc network and on PA network, where they might track your IP address. for example Fury used to have bots that tracked IP addressed and linked them to irc nicks; same bot Xanadu had r5 or r6 i believe.

To mask your address on Netgamers, use /mode +x <nick>

The same for your alliance server, usualy, but maybe your IRCOP can help you with that.

good luck guys
finding ip's isn't exactly difficult either, even if you *mask* it, as it's comically called...

not only that, but it's not difficult to find out who are BC/DC's for respective alliance, most of them publish this fact cause they think they're so great..