User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:28   #1
MarkieC

MarkieC is an unknown quantity at this point
[Declined] Delayed fleet return

Would it possable to delay a fleet returning to base, i just lost a large chunk of a fleet when i would like to have ran, but the fleet return eta was the same as the arriving attack eta.
so not alot i could do.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:31   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Delayed fleet return

Nope. Fleet-catching has always been a major tactic of the game, I don't see why it should be removed.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:37   #3
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
Nope. Fleet-catching has always been a major tactic of the game, I don't see why it should be removed.
I must fully concur... Fleet-Catching, though a dreadfull sight when it happens to u (looking at ur overview, knowing 7 8 or 9 hours in advance that ur fleet WILL die...) is indeed quite an important aspect of the game... without it it would simply become impossible to take a number of ppl down (those among us who either check every tick, or who r called up instantly upon incomings)

there r simply to many players that can not be brought to lose fleet any other way... and thus it is essential to prevent the same ppl being the top 100 each and every single round...
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 16:56   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Delayed fleet return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
Fleet-catching has always been a major tactic of the game,
Well no. It only became a major tactic after they consolidated the movement and combat ticks at about R4 (IIRC). Prior to that you always had a small window (5-10 minutes or so) to relaunch your fleet(s), so fleet catches wouldn't work against someone who was alert and who could be online at the right time(s).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 17:25   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Well no. It only became a major tactic after they consolidated the movement and combat ticks at about R4 (IIRC). Prior to that you always had a small window (5-10 minutes or so) to relaunch your fleet(s), so fleet catches wouldn't work against someone who was alert and who could be online at the right time(s).
Sorry, I generalised and you were right to pick me up on it. All the same, however, it's become entrenched in the tactics of the game since that time. I love having it as a tactic, especially as part of a smaller alliance where raw power isn't your strongest asset. For that reason also, I would keep things how they are.
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 21:44   #6
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

[x]fleet catch
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 15:48   #7
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

fleet catch is a tactic i dont like but well tough i cant say get rid of it tbh because yes its a tactic and a good one at that.

Everyone keeps trying to make this game fleet freindly why dont we just all build pods ffs coz thats what you basically want a game were you never lose ur fleet unless your attacking someone else to lose theres.
So either live with it or leave PA because you get fleet caught then its ur own fault for not getting defence.

Sorry if i sound angry but I am.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 24 Apr 2005, 19:29   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If people like fleet catching so much then surely we need prelaunching fleets to take part in combat again...
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 02:35   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
If people like fleet catching so much then surely we need prelaunching fleets to take part in combat again...
I like prelaunched fleets not engaging in combat. Fleets can still be caught when they arrive home - which is a fair compromise as greater co-ordination is required. But for the less active and whatnot, having the prelaunch as the last line of defence is a good thing imo.
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 07:07   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
I like prelaunched fleets not engaging in combat. Fleets can still be caught when they arrive home - which is a fair compromise as greater co-ordination is required. But for the less active and whatnot, having the prelaunch as the last line of defence is a good thing imo.
Yes but bigger planets happily prelaunch their fleets, and when they have like 10-15 waves they're quite safe and don't loose more than roids and structures. If people know you're trying to fleetcatch them, it's impossible to do.
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 07:50   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
If people know you're trying to fleetcatch them, it's impossible to do.
Really?
Obviously not - i've heard alot of people being fleetcaught this round, when their fleet is returning from a target with alot of incoming at the same ETA. THAT is how to catch fleets these days - not just wiping out stuff at home. Failure to recognise this means that for the past few rounds you have been unable to adjust your strategy - which seems pretty wierd.

Prelaunching - at best/worst - will only save ships that you do not send out ever. Every time you launch a fleet, its possible that you can have it caught and lost on the return journey. This means that the inactive player - who is less likely to have fleet out - is at less risk of being caught than the hyperactiver alliance player. By (potenitally) limiting it to fleet that you are willing to risk by launching it, results in a fair compromise imo.
Unread 26 Apr 2005, 17:05   #12
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

As has been sayd already it prevents fleet catches (which is basicly the only way to take down a t10 planet, remember Cocteau r12? Lost 13k Clippers and 15k thieves in last 2 weeks in fleetcatch )
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 11:22   #13
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Gettin grid of fleet catches if not a good idea in fact its a terrible idea fleet catches are a very important tactic and with everyone running away a lot these days they become a very good tactic for ziks me and a couple of others often launch fleets eta 1 and eta 2 before hostiles land so if they pull eta 1 their fleet caught if they land they get some roids have some ships killed and then are fleet caught

Taking tactics out of the game would ruin things for a lot of people.
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:24   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

fleet catches are an important part of the game - so declined

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread