User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 09:59   #1
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Should pods die when they cap?

people think strucutre killers should, so should pods?

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?p=2814145

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:10   #2
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Re: Should pods die when they cap?

I don't see the advantage in dieing pods really. Not with 1-tick combat.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:18   #3
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I been thinking about this for ages and been trying to reply to this thread for 10 mins with a reasonable answer and I would have to say no hmmm and I still thinking about it as i right it.
I just dont think its right to have pods die as they have to actually take the asteroids home but you dont want to take the structures home( I hope someone doesnt suddenly suggest that idea its a very bad one)
So I would say no as crash landing on an asteroid to take it home sounds bit weird.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:37   #4
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Well, pods used to die in the old days, and theory was they with the explosion pushed the asteroid in a wormhole or whatever towards your planet or something like that. But with 1 tick combat not sure how usefull it is.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:43   #5
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Before you can answer such a question you must realise what the consequences are.

- people have to rebuild more, and therefore can build less other ships. This will result in people having a smaller fleet. Small planets will have a harder time to rebuild the pods and bigger planets dont feel th epain so much.
- On the other hand, fleets of ALL planets who attack regularly will ALL be smaller.
- In the long run, everyone will just build more pods to compensate. and it will take slighty longer to get more roids. Planets will however have roughly the same amount LESS roids seen in comparison to each other.
- People may be more carefull what they attack, and will feel there are less attractive targets. So there is a chance that the universe will be somewhat less active, esp early in the game.

If you dont let them die, then people will grow a bit faster, but if the game last 100 ticks longer, the outcome will be the same.

My point is: it doesnt really matter if they die or not, but there is a chance fleet movement will be less, esp. early in the round. An attractive game needs a lot of fleet movement, not ppl not wanting to attack.

I say: do not let them die, as the outcome in planet roid count wont be much different anyways, and it will be less interesting.
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 14:11   #6
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

It's prob worth pointing out that the reason pods stopped dying was to cut down on farming and not particularly for anything else.

if folks don't think that's a problem any more then there's not really any good reason for keeping it, but what's the particular motivation for changing it... I'm not seeing much....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 16:22   #7
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

no... makes atacking more unatractive...(caped roids getting more expansive)
only way to do that is to make pods much cheaper...

Last edited by hellsmurf; 18 Jan 2005 at 17:21.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 16:43   #8
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

As madnrisky pointed out, there is no need to chagne it.
At the moment the system works fine, so unless ppl come up with an argument why it is broken, then | would be against pods dieing, for reasons stated above by Remy.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 07:08   #9
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

no.. other classes of ships that kill pods will do that for us

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 11:33   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

ok its obvious no one wants this - so declined it is

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread