User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 May 2003, 13:59   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Argh, lost files help

computer just crashed
restarted and xp ran it's scandisk etc

now all my music files have disappeared
but there's a 10gb hidden folder called found.13 full of thousands of tiny files

any way i can get it all back?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 15:03   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not good.
Not that this will help much, but what filesystem are you running on the affected drive? Judging from the extent of the damage I guess you're using FAT32 not NTFS. Were you by any chance doing something disk intensive at the time?

The deal is that your music is all in there. What it sounds like (assuming FAT32) is that the crash/reboot went and damaged both copies of the file allocation table (as it will normally revert to the backup if the primary gets screwed) the end result of which is the system lost the references to the files so all it sees is data marked as files that it doesn't know what to do with.
So windows bundles it all up into little files (probably the filesize of each one is the same as the cluster size on the partition) so if you're some kind of recovery whiz you can peice it back together again.

Now this was all good back in 1988 when you were talking about maybe losing 300k of text files that were easily put back, but 10gb of mp3s is quite another matter (they're not human readable for a start).
I'm sorry to say I have no idea if there is any realistic way to get them back.
I hope you had a library listing so at least you know what to rip again.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 21 May 2003 at 15:40.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 15:20   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
thankfully i have most, around 8 gb i reckon, backed up onto cds but it's one hell of a hassle putting it all back onto comp

plus lost a few other things, not sure if anything seriously important is missing yet

Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 15:41   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Good call that man.
Mine reside on a "media" drive (ie. it's just used for music, tv episodes and the like) and backup consists of me hoping nothing goes wrong with it.

Unread 21 May 2003, 16:28   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have a 185gb drive sat on another machine that I backup all my mp3 files to. I am not making any real point here, I just like to point out I have 2 large hard drives \o/

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 16:34   #6
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I am not making any real point here, I just like to point out I have 2 large hard drives \o/
Pointing out that you're making up for something isn't goood

KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2003, 16:46   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Pointing out that you're making up for something isn't goood

I'll try and live with the guilt

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:38   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Good call that man.
Mine reside on a "media" drive (ie. it's just used for music, tv episodes and the like) and backup consists of me hoping nothing goes wrong with it.

I started to back up my files a couple of months ago.

4 CD's in I realised that it was rather idiotic trying to fit 320Gb on CD.

Now I'm waiting till I see MrBrick and get my DVD Writer.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 20:21   #9
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I have a 185gb drive sat on another machine that I backup all my mp3 files to. I am not making any real point here, I just like to point out I have 2 large hard drives \o/

Vaio
Theres a reason Sony named all their computers after him, its because he's damned sexy.

If my hard drive broke I'd be gutted, I'd have to copy all my mp3's back off my mp3 player, and USB2 only goes at 480 Mbps.

\o/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote