User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 13 Apr 2003, 17:15   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Hidden Drives/Denying Access

I have created a partition on Partition Magic 8 (Drive F)
I don't want this drive to be accessed by anyone other than myself on the home PC (not on a Network).
Or even ahve it hidden so they don't know its there.

How is it possible?

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 17:17   #2
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Worked out how to hide it, but is it possible for it to deny access to other users?

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 17:45   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If the drive's NTFS, you can set it only to be usable by your account on the machine in question I guess. Turn off Simple File Sharing 'from somewhere' (it's in the XP help and Support Centre bit), then right-click the drive, do Properties, Security, and remove the Users and Everyone groups from accessing the drive.

'Though I've not tried it'
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 19:47   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
That will work yes, although if anyone else on the system has admin rights they can take ownership of any filesystem resource (ie. the drive, in this case) and add themselves to it's userlist.
However, in a family situation the probability of having anyone competant enough to do so is minimal.

Another option is a PGP Volume. You can't hide it in any other way than what's allready been mentioned, but you can't access it without a password (and the right decryption keys).
This does, of course, require that you get a copy of PGP from somewhere (your favourite retail website, obviously...).

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 14:37   #5
Minty
Who?

Cheers guys, I thought it would be possible
Not put it to practise yet

You may call me dumb aslnog as you can answer this question, What does PGP stand for?

Cheers

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 14:43   #6
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Originally posted by Minty

You may call me dumb aslnog as you can answer this question, What does PGP stand for?
"Pretty Good Privacy"

I got it

I assume its the name of the program

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:18   #7
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
PGP Disk is available from http://www.pgpi.org/ for people outside the US.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 02:08   #8
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
If your using win2k or xp, you can hide driver by choosing:
Run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer ->
Hide these specifies drives in My Computer (and edit a bit here).

Just be a bir careful when your using gpedit so you don't deny yourself access to important stuff
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 02:16   #9
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
If your using win2k or xp, you can hide driver by choosing:
Run -> gpedit.msc -> User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer ->
Hide these specifies drives in My Computer (and edit a bit here).

Just be a bit careful when your using gpedit so you don't deny yourself access to important stuff

Last edited by Pilatus; 12 May 2003 at 01:38.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote