User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 15:35   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Paths - Hardware/Design

Well I remember the thread a few months ago about the career paths involving data comms and networking (such as Cisco etc.) and the long hours and average lousy pay. Since the magazines Computer Arts & Digit that I'm subscribed too don't really give updates on the 2D design scene and whether considering a job into the 2D field would be a good choice. I recently read that the 3D Games Market is set to go boom like the dotcom disaster. Will that follow by designing in general or not?

I ask, and hopefully it'll be helpfully for others as I'm interested in both a networking field (altho the CCNA book for the exam I saw in Waterstones looked pretty complicated with a quick browse thru) and a designing field and I enjoy both - well I enjoy designing more than say a networking field, but I haven't too much knowledge on what it's like to be a professional graphics designer - whether it'd be better to be a freelancer or whether or not to apply to join a studio or setup one yourself. I know publishing your art and getting it around is the way to start, but I can't travel and get my name around as I don't know 'where' to start. There aren't pointers as to design events etc. although Computer Arts does highlight big events every issue.

Lastly, since I enjoy designing more, but the impression I get it would be better to go into a networking field.

Thanks for any help,

Mark.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 15:53   #2
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
multimedia and design stuff would be better if you ask me, sounds more fun. Networking = loads of repetitive work + lousy pay. You could try doing a cisco ccna nightcourse and a multimedia nightcourse though to get a feel for what you prefer

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote