User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:25   #1
Olive

Whacked Americans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/2999780.stm

The Jist;

Senator who makes money from music decides that he wants anyone that isn't paying for the music should have their property destroyed.

Tangents.

Should this bill pass they should consequently pass bills to burn down business premises that sell second hand goods and blind people who read magazines without paying for them.

Opinion.

Sounds like a toothless threat ala Mohammed Al Sahhaf.

Though anything that would kick the dumb back off the internet would be a good thing.

I'm for it.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:27   #2
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Draconian measures are never any good.
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:28   #3
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Mr. Hatch will be out of office very quickly if such a bill were to pass...

He also doesn't even remotely represent americans on this one.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:29   #4
Olive

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
Draconian measures are never any good.
But they work so well in the middle east and similarly civilized countries.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:31   #5
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
oh yeah? what about JIGGEDY-FIGGEDY-****ED?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2978988.stm
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:31   #6
Olive

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
Mr. Hatch will be out of office very quickly if such a bill were to pass...

He also doesn't even remotely represent americans on this one.
Since when has the american goverment represented americans?

I could swear they've only ever represented corporations intrests.

Which apparrently Hatch doesn't even represent on this one at least not in this severity.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:32   #7
Olive

Quote:
Originally posted by the dying puppy
oh yeah? what about JIGGEDY-FIGGEDY-****ED?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2978988.stm
Do not post again on this thread and remove this drivel from it.

This is something that would be heard on lunchtime radio and considered crazy humour. Nevermind not relevant in any sense other than you can post a url from the same website.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:34   #8
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
This is why, when I'm president, Political parties will be forbidden to recieve donations, only people with a college education or military service can vote, and lobbyists will be dragged into the streets and shot.

[Kura]

With Bullets not cum

[/Kura]

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:36   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Olive
Since when has the american goverment represented americans?

I could swear they've only ever represented corporations intrests.

Which apparrently Hatch doesn't even represent on this one at least not in this severity.
You don't know very much about our government then.

As for the rest, he represents what the RIAA has wanted, however I don't see any such bill lasting more than a few seconds in a Supreme Court session. This could be argued as punishment without due process. Theoretically, they would have to actually TRY you before they could do ANYTHING to you. Nevermind, privacy laws keep them from invading your computer unless it is completely consentual, and I highly doubt I'll ever give the RIAA access to my machine whether it has MP3s on it or not.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:41   #10
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Olive
Do not post again on this thread and remove this drivel from it.

This is something that would be heard on lunchtime radio and considered crazy humour. Nevermind not relevant in any sense other than you can post a url from the same website.
make me!
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:41   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
This is why, when I'm president, Political parties will be forbidden to recieve donations, only people with a college education or military service can vote, and lobbyists will be dragged into the streets and shot.

[Kura]

With Bullets not cum

[/Kura]

President of where? Onigami?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 19:47   #12
Olive

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
You don't know very much about our government then.

As for the rest, he represents what the RIAA has wanted, however I don't see any such bill lasting more than a few seconds in a Supreme Court session. This could be argued as punishment without due process. Theoretically, they would have to actually TRY you before they could do ANYTHING to you. Nevermind, privacy laws keep them from invading your computer unless it is completely consentual, and I highly doubt I'll ever give the RIAA access to my machine whether it has MP3s on it or not.
In all seriousness though American goverments will and have rewritten the rule book whenever it suited them to their ends. I could list examples if you wish. Hence if they were to pass this theoretically you would also have to account for them creating other laws that would legally force you to co-operate etc. Then again this is all theoretical.

However I'm much enjoying the hypothetical spin off situations rather than what the law says what they can't do currently.

Do you think they would have the tools(considered skilled employees as tools as well) to stop most of the enlightened internet community?

Would you agree this borders on the same lines as industries complaints about business's that sell second hand material goods such as software and music etc.

When you buy a magazine/book/newspaper do you think about the price merely being a reflection of allowing you to read it at your leisure and deciding who else can read it?
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 20:23   #13
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Senator Hatch said destroyed computers would show the government was serious
War on Drugs. War on Terror. War on mp3s.

Oh yeah, I'm convinced that my government is serious.

Realistically, Senator Hatch (never trust anyone named "Orrin") is simply catering to lobbyist groups who can provide him with campaign and project funding (re: the music industry). It's not as if this is a topic of "serious national concern" and has American lives at stake.
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 21:48   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
This is just taking existing anti-"piracy" laws to their logical extreme. I don't see the problem (if you support, even vaguely, existing laws).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote