User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 01:43   #1
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What killed the funny?

At what point was the transition from genuinely, regularly funny to desolate and impersonal during the course of these forums over the past three and a bit years?

And more specifically, what were the conditions that existed when Nod, Dace, Pavil, don_aman et al were regularly entertaining board readers that no longer exist now?

I've heard many theories but there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Some of which include:

The lifespan of PA for older players expired
Posters 'grew up' and 'moved on'
Forum mismanagement through moderation
Forum mismanagement through partitioning of PA, Roleplaying etc

Because I'll be ****ed if I know.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:06   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the fact that youve been on the internet for so long now that theres hardly anything to see anymore?

and the fact that because everyone is constantly reminded "it aint how it were" anything done now is considered inferior, and looked down upon?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:07   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
the fact that youve been on the internet for so long now that theres hardly anything to see anymore?

and the fact that because everyone is constantly reminded "it aint how it were" anything done now is considered inferior, and looked down upon?
No, there's been a significant drop in, if nothing else, sheer volume of posts between 'the old days' and 'now' so something more fundamental must have changed.

Perhaps there's just been a declining trend of new blood joining.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:11   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Anything posted back then would, if posted now, be "old" or "dull".

It's reality that's changing, don't you see???
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:12   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Anything posted back then would, if posted now, be "old" or "dull".
So why hasn't 'the funny' changed with the times?

Because, let's face it, I'll be ****ed if the majority of the spam Shai shat was amusing. So that can't be the future.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:16   #6
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
So why hasn't 'the funny' changed with the times?

Because, let's face it, I'll be ****ed if the majority of the spam Shai shat was amusing. So that can't be the future.
You're assuming there's any more "funny" left...
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:17   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by W
You're assuming there's any more "funny" left...
Without hope, I'd have killed myself by now.
Or something.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:18   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Let me first state that i enjoy the forums. If i didnt, i wouldnt read, or post.

I still think they are good.

However, if there is any decline i think its numerous small factors.

The decline of PA as a game is one, less unwashed masses hanging about. Sure, most of us here dont play the ****, but many did, and left. This is also a conveniant excuse to badmouth anyone that takes their alliance seriously that formed part of a powerblock. I hope that **** tasted real good Xan, Fang, XyzABC etc mother****ers.

Perhaps its how we as a crowd accept new members. We as a forum always joke about the "in crowd", but as a forum there is mostly a community feel. Must be difficult to break into, i know that from time in other places.

Perhaps its our inability to keep any thread on topic nowadays. mrl is terrible for this. It just ruins any thread. I cite the "Mrl and kura discuss modding strategy" thread as an example. Two mostly decent pages of discussion, followed by complete and utter dog****e for 55 posts caused by 1 or 2 off topic posts.

However, like i always say.
in 2000 you had a blank page when you hit "new thread", in 2003 you now have a blank page when you hit "new thread". Its up to you, its up to us as individuals to make the most of the forums.

Beside changing taste / growing up / humour being topical theres no reason why things should be **** now. Exact same canvas three years ago dude, its what you make of it.

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:19   #9
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Without hope, I'd have killed myself by now.
Or something.
*waves goodbye*

Hope is overrated
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:26   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Let me first state that i enjoy the forums. If i didnt, i wouldnt read, or post.

I still think they are good.
I agree they've picked up in recent months. Though I post here more out out of wanting to keep in contact with certain forum members in some form via a medium other than IRC, rather than say a couple of years ago because I knew there would be a thread that would be fun to participate in.

I fear we all grew up =(
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:32   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

even if so, a wake up call

they are just forums, a location for debate of various degrees of seriousness, a place for expressing and comparing opinions etc. Its meant to be interesting, as funny as non-personal contact jokes can be etc. Its what we make of it.

Its not however, gonna sort your life out for you. Its just a forum dude, and id say that its probably better than most on the internet.

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:33   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Its not however, gonna sort your life out for you. Its just a forum dude, and id say that its probably better than most on the internet.
Haven't said anything contrary. I asked only what it is that's changed to have stripped some of the originality and humour from this place in the vain hope of coming up with remedies to reintroduce it.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:43   #13
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: What killed the funny?

Quote:

[ ] The lifespan of PA for older players expired
[x] Posters 'grew up' and 'moved on'
[ ] Forum mismanagement through moderation
[ ] Forum mismanagement through partitioning of PA, Roleplaying etc
Humour is a small part of the Internet, and the Internet is a small part of life. Humour's role is to shape your values and hold your hand while you learn how to appreciate the bigger things in life. So make her laugh and she'll swallow it all.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:45   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I demand there be more people awake at 2.45am.

DEMAND.

http://main.planetarion.com/portal/news.php?id=127
'heh'
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:52   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

whatashame.

probably at this time IRC is a better bet. Its sunday, after all. And we dont have enough non euro-time difference folks on these forums to sustain late night or early morning activity

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 02:56   #16
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
whatashame.

probably at this time IRC is a better bet. Its sunday, after all. And we dont have enough non euro-time difference folks on these forums to sustain late night or early morning activity
We clearly require to form an island in the atlantic for to be inhabited by 'some posters' to counteract this issue, whose time difference shall be around three hours left of ours, thus three hours right-ish from most US people, creating balance.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 03:03   #17
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

excellent idea. You can have glasgow if you want, i dont really like it (or many places in this fkn city).

At any rate, its getting late. Tommorow im supposed to be up at 12 playing football in a "white" select XI against an "asian" select XI. Racist you think. Nope, they arranged it, and everyone knows only white males can be racist.

gnight pab, and lurkers. im off to watch the bottom of the 8th of the yankees-mets on ch5.

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 10:15   #18
Smirn0ff Ic3

Smirn0ff Ic3 is an unknown quantity at this point
GD was never that good you fags it just seemed good because it was all you knew.
Smirn0ff Ic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 10:17   #19
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:
I agree they've picked up in recent months. Though I post here more out out of wanting to keep in contact with certain forum members in some form via a medium other than IRC, rather than say a couple of years ago because I knew there would be a thread that would be fun to participate in.

I fear we all grew up =(
I believe strongly that the final nail was the 'crackdown' which the happened nearly a year ago.

Even before that interest from certain people was wavering and instead of letting the boards continue to be fun for those who chose to stay, the leadership tried its hardest to remove some of the best characters from the board.

Now we have a place largely void of humour and at times, activity.

I used to come here for hours and be guaranteed a laugh, whether it was from a bit of flaming or the reactions of other posters, but today it really is a login check around and log out type of thing.

While the current batch of mods seem to be a lot more leanient (which is a good thing imo) I fear that these boards have seen their best days.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 11:24   #20
Pavil

Messiah quitting being admin stopped it all.

Sunday8pm being outcast helped.

As did DYB

and so ends this broadcast day.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 11:27   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Pavil
Are you really the clown in the test-card or is that just vicious rumour?
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 11:58   #22
BarbieKen

Because this place is run like a nazi camp without much freedom of speech, and thus people has to push the limits to be increasingly funny, but the mods are not increasingly tolerant.

Last edited by BarbieKen; 23 Jun 2003 at 12:08.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:03   #23
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Jew jokes got banned.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:08   #24
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
and you are no longer allowed to flame people

taking away the point of the internet :/
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:08   #25
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Well, the forums are changed from back in the very old days, thats for sure, but i agree whit Deffeh. It still is funny, it still is nice, and it still has a post new thread button. A lot of things have changed, a lot of things have not.

Even thought this forum is not half off what it used to be, its still one of the better places on the internett.

Overmoderation was a problem a few months ago, and about a year ago too. But its become more relaxed, altought some threads that are funny were deleted for no "apparent" reason, or i think so (and i belive idi does too, as he points out) Lax it out a little more, but still ban the assholes and delete the crap.

Also, if PA starts up again, and do it "good", i think maybe "we" can get quite a number of new people. It depends on PA, but also on us.. Will we let them in, during their first stages of newbiness when they dont know the way life is here?

This is a early morning written thing. If its all jumbled together, random and very poorly written, excuse me.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:22   #26
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The problem is there is no new blood, when was the last time an actual new member joined the boards with a new sense of humour? I'm not talking gimmicks but actual new people.
They just don't find a way of slotting in.
I've only posted intermittedly for 2 years and I don't feel anywhere near the 'in-crew'. In fact I don't feel anyone even knows who I am
There are many private jokes on the boards which, if like me, you don't go on IRC it isn't funny!
Spamming should be allowed in threads that are asking for it as it makes even the crappiest of threads slightly amusing. The crackdown on spam should be kept up in serious threads but in the non-serious ones it should be kept...
So maybe it's the mods fault...
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:27   #27
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Round 10 might fix things, yes, I could agree with that. And the mods now are actually, you know, not that ****.

I KNOW, LET'S SPLIT OFF ALL FUNNY THREADS IN GD TO THEIR OWN FORUM, TO CONCENTRATE THE FUNNY!
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:29   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
All there is less regular posters. That's all.

The hilarity of the forum in the earlier days has been overstated. To me, an internet forum is much funnier when you first join than when you're used to it. I remember first reading Slashdot at -1 for some weeks and finding it hilarious. Even though the gimmicks have moved on from Natalie Portmans hot grits (well, sort of) it's just not as funny.

Similarly, I would propose that if you were to join GD now, you would find some of the threads funny. Not because they are funny particularly, but because it's amusing to think there are a bunch of people retarded enough to post such utter drivel and still someone can top it with "your mum".
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:36   #29
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
and still someone can top it with "your mum".
Americans say 'mom'.
And 'elevator' instead of 'lift'.

Crazy, non?
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:48   #30
Popeye

pablissimo is our last best hope for GD.

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:48   #31
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Popeye
pablissimo is our last best hope for GD.

Oh come on, <insert Kura reference here>
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:52   #32
BarbieKen

It's always like this

The grass is greener on the other side.. The old days where always best..

Canned sentimental nostalgic bull****.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 12:56   #33
Popeye

Quote:
Oh come on, <insert Kura reference here>
actually i was being serious

over the weekend youve been funnier than everyone else (bar me of course) combined!
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 13:05   #34
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Oh dear.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 13:59   #35
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:

over the weekend youve been funnier than everyone else (bar me of course) combined!
dude, you need to check here then.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 14:09   #36
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
dude, you need to check here then.
vBulletin Message
Please specify some words or valid user names to search on. There were no matches for those that you specified.

Clown.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 17:26   #37
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BarbieKen
Because this place is run like a nazi camp without much freedom of speech, and thus people has to push the limits to be increasingly funny, but the mods are not increasingly tolerant.
werd.
It's also not that easy to create a new account this days. ****, I can't even get my old one back...
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 17:35   #38
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by ItotheDtotheI
At the start of round 10, the entire of the forums should be deleted, and started again from scratch.

A clean slate as it were.
Think they are being.

Though I can see the waves of famous names being taken over by gimmicky ****ers. JJ for Nodrog, anyone?