User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:29   #1
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
Distinguishing Racism

The thread about the Michigan riots (and subsequently, the thread I was banned for) was not racist.

I have no grudges against black people, in any way, shape or form. I simply pointed out what utter stupidity the Michigan bunch have been showing as of late.

I'd like to ask whether, in this day and age, it is possible to criticize black people without being categorized as racist.

Because I'm fairly confident that my account would still be active had that post criticized white people.

That is racism.
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:35   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
There are no black people.
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:41   #3
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
nope, there is only white people dipped in milk and dark chocolate.
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:45   #4
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by W
must you always be so picky
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:52   #5
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Morrocans are black.

And when the light shines on them, they're blue.
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 16:55   #6
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Chojin
Morrocans are black.

And when the light shines on them, they're blue.
Blue M&M's?
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 18:10   #7
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Despite what your dealer may tell you, Morrocan black really isnt any good!
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 18:14   #8
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Popeye
Despite what your dealer may tell you, Morrocan black really isnt any good!
is that true ?
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 18:27   #9
Popeye

Popeye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
is that true ?
http://www.a-bomb-design.co.uk/~de_man/warning.html
Everything I've ever read since moving to pompey says so, which is why everyone in my house smoked the leaf.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 18:31   #10
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Popeye
http://www.a-bomb-design.co.uk/~de_man/warning.html
Everything I've ever read since moving to pompey says so, which is why everyone in my house smoked the leaf.
we dont smoke anything other than leaf anymore, havent done for a year now, we are ace
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 18:53   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Distinguishing Racism

Quote:
The thread about the Michigan riots (and subsequently, the thread I was banned for) was not racist.
Yes it was. It was referring to black people collectively in a negative sense when there's precious little evidence to connect them together.

If you want to criticise people who undertake direct action (e.g. rioting, etc.) then cool. But starting a post with "What's the problem with people of African descent" is probably the wrong way to go about it.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 19:03   #12
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Re: Re: Distinguishing Racism

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Yes it was. It was referring to black people collectively in a negative sense when there's precious little evidence to connect them together.

If you want to criticise people who undertake direct action (e.g. rioting, etc.) then cool. But starting a post with "What's the problem with people of African descent" is probably the wrong way to go about it.
There were a lot of threads criticizing the rioters in Oldham, Manchester not so long ago.

The rioters in Oldham were white.

None of the threads were deleted.

To have one set of standards for one situation and another set for a different situation when both situations are so closely connected is unacceptable.

I rest my case and await your reply with eager anticipation
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 19:06   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Distinguishing Racism

Quote:
The rioters in Oldham were white.
Well, actually they were both white and Asian. But anyway.

If someone starts a post saying "Those kids in Oldham really piss me off" - this isn't racism.

Someone starting a thread saying "What the **** is wrong with white people? Maybe they've had too long living in ****ing council estates, sniffing glue but..." would be racist - especially if it came from an Asian or black poster.

But you know that. Trolling is not cool, do you hear kids?
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 19:15   #14
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Distinguishing Racism

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Well, actually they were both white and Asian. But anyway.

If someone starts a post saying "Those kids in Oldham really piss me off" - this isn't racism.

Someone starting a thread saying "What the **** is wrong with white people? Maybe they've had too long living in ****ing council estates, sniffing glue but..." would be racist - especially if it came from an Asian or black poster.

But you know that. Trolling is not cool, do you hear kids?
...sigh...

Okay, you win
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 19:16   #15
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

But as a matter of interest, I live in Oldham, and I saw no Asians among the protestors. And given what exactly they were rioting about, I'm not particularly surprised.
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 22:58   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
But as a matter of interest, I live in Oldham, and I saw no Asians among the protestors. And given what exactly they were rioting about, I'm not particularly surprised.
Admittedly I wasn't there but :

"Two members of the Oldham community have tried to find reasons and solutions for Saturday night's violence between Asian youths and police." (emphasis added)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1354486.stm