User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Oct 2002, 01:51   #1
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
biology question (a little silly)

why do we only get itches on the outside?

i'd have first thought it was cos you have different structure on external and internal 'skin'....but genitals are mucous membrane tissue and they still itch, and you can get a tickle in your throat that feels itchy....but why don't you get an itchy stomach, or lungs, or intestine, or liver or other things?

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 01:52   #2
Nashmeister

Testicles.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 01:52   #3
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
my theory is sweat glands
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 01:58   #4
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
my theory is sweat glands
on the back of the throat?

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:03   #5
Nuff

I'm inclined to agree with sweat glands.
Or at least some form of excretion tissue.
That's present in all the above cases.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:05   #6
vampy
bound & gagged

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuff
I'm inclined to agree with sweat glands.
Or at least some form of excretion tissue.
That's present in all the above cases.
but all the digestive tract has various different secretions, and that doesn't itch dammit
and the lungs do too
and and and and

why can't someone just tell me a plausible yet comprehensive answer so i can stop thinking about it and go to bed?

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:05   #7
Nashmeister

/me whips out the big-arse biology book.

Testicles.

Sweat glands are used for homeostasis (cooling down body temperature).
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:06   #8
Nuff

cos the lungs and rest of the digestive tract can move (and usually do)

NOW GO TO BED FS!
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:07   #9
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Eh, there's such a thing as CELLS which SENSE things, like preasure , temperature, damage etc. We need to be able to sense any touch on the outside, and it's these cells that gets irritated when it itches. You have similar cells in the mucous membranes of the body, to sense foreign objects likely to damage these sensitive organs. A foreign object in the lungs or in the stomach will have to have passed a sensitive region already, and thus you will be aware of it without additional sensing, and it wouldn't help much.

You do have such cells in the intestines, but there you need totally different reflexes than the itch reflex.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:08   #10
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
why is it so important..............

someone answer fs its got me wondering

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:10   #11
Nashmeister

Quote:
Originally posted by Nofutcha
why is it so important..............

someone answer fs its got me wondering

Testicles.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:11   #12
vampy
bound & gagged

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Eh, there's such a thing as CELLS which SENSE things, like preasure , temperature, damage etc. We need to be able to sense any touch on the outside, and it's these cells that gets irritated when it itches. You have similar cells in the mucous membranes of the body, to sense foreign objects likely to damage these sensitive organs. A foreign object in the lungs or in the stomach will have to have passed a sensitive region already, and thus you will be aware of it without additional sensing, and it wouldn't help much.

You do have such cells in the intestines, (atleast I do) but there you need totally different reflexes than the itch reflex, and thus you never itch there.
but why?
is the feeling of an itch not transmitted to the brain from these areas, or is it that the brain doesn't interpret it as an itch...cos the digestive tract obviously have nerves in, as some sensations are transmitted...why not the itch one?

or is it just that the stomach etc can only feel one feeling, that of pressure, which is transmitted as a pain feeling to the brain...skin can feel hot and cold and pressure and sharp things and tickle things....but thinking about it....when you have a too hot drink, or a too cold drink, both make your stomach hurt.....so maybe when you get an internal itch, your body just thinks it's pain?

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:12   #13
Nashmeister

You got your answer. Go to sleep.

(This is the American hour, let us have our fun)
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:13   #14
vampy
bound & gagged

Quote:
Originally posted by Nashmeister
You got your answer. Go to sleep.

'testicles' is neither plausible nor comprehensive

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:14   #15
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy

but why?
is the feeling of an itch not transmitted to the brain from these areas, or is it that the brain doesn't interpret it as an itch...cos the digestive tract obviously have nerves in, as some sensations are transmitted...why not the itch one?

or is it just that the stomach etc can only feel one feeling, that of pressure, which is transmitted as a pain feeling to the brain...skin can feel hot and cold and pressure and sharp things and tickle things....but thinking about it....when you have a too hot drink, or a too cold drink, both make your stomach hurt.....so maybe when you get an internal itch, your body just thinks it's pain?
No, it's because you can't scratch your intestine, and as such you simply don't have any itch reflex for it. These reflexes are controled by YOU, they are not totally automatic (you can choose not to scratch an itch), but are quite useful as scratching/coughing/whatever often removes whatever it is that is irritating the skin/mucous membrane.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 02:14   #16
Nuff

good answer W!!!!
The brain interprets the responses seperately. thoise from further along the digestive tract are different to those from the throat etc.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 03:41   #17
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive had a tickle in my lungs alot, that count?
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 03:53   #18
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
how the hell would your intestines get irritated to itch?
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 03:54   #19
vampy
bound & gagged

Quote:
Originally posted by _RATM_
how the hell would your intestines get irritated to itch?
if you ate an ants nest?

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 03:55   #20
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy

if you ate an ants nest?
yeah but that be bugs eating your inside.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 04:13   #21
Tempestuous
Juvenile delinquent

Tempestuous is an unknown quantity at this point
They're caused by hairs on the skin or cillia in muscus membrane tissue. The itch is when you detect the force on the hair or cillia.

Spinner's words to LDK:
Quote:
Stop moaning and try to play at least the last 20 ticks without cheating (-:
Tempestuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:33   #22
vampy
bound & gagged

Quote:
Originally posted by Tempestuous
They're caused by hairs on the skin or cillia in muscus membrane tissue. The itch is when you detect the force on the hair or cillia.

how about when you get an itch on the sole of your foot (the most annoying thing ever!!!)

there's no hair there!

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:33   #23
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
my testicles itch
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:39   #24
Cocaine

Itches are cause by irritated "touch sensors" on your skin.

You dont have anywhere near as many "touch sensors" inside your body as you do outside therefore you dont feel an itch.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:39   #25
madii

Quote:
Originally posted by Grimble
my testicles itch

scratch

or wash occasionaly

or see a doctor
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:42   #26
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Miasma
This may not get rid of the itching
it didn't
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 13:43   #27
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Miasma

option 4: Make like a dog and lick them, you know you want to.

Option 5: Get someone else to lick them.

This may not get rid of the itching but who cares.
Option 6: Obey your thirst
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 22:20   #28
I Am Grimble
lol

I Am Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Grimble
my testicles itch
it's happening again

Remember to think happy thoughts
I Am Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2003, 22:24   #29
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
How could i miss this thread the first time around?

Poor me.

"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 10:04   #30
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nashmeister
/me whips out the big-arse biology book.

Testicles.

Sweat glands are used for homeostasis (cooling down body temperature).
homeostatis is maintain constant body temperature
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 10:19   #31
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
I miss vampy she had personality.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 10:53   #32
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I wonder what it was she had

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 11:20   #33
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward

I miss Radical Edward oh wait there he is

lo Morat
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 12:49   #34
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
In before the delete

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 12:49   #35
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Eternity
I miss Radical Edward oh wait there he is

lo Morat
lo dude, long time no see.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 14:09   #36
plasmas_arms
Banned

plasmas_arms is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Shhhh, you'll wake the Peons.
plasmas_arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2003, 14:20   #37
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I wonder what it was she had

Vaio
Tits?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 01:36   #38
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Maybe there just arent things that cause your internal organs to itch at all...

more likely that they cant convey the signal that the brain interprets as 'itch' or that signal is interprated as 'pain' or 'burning'

Would explain things when I spent a week in hospital with severe stomach and digestive tract pains.
When they gave me morphine it took the cramping and pain away but there was intese burning still

The doc said it was probably irritated...

If its irritated then instead of an itch you feel pain and/or burning

Or I dunno,this doesnt deserve the thought some people put into it
Unread 13 Aug 2003, 01:43   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I miss vampy she had tits.