User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 Jun 2006, 18:48   #1
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of
Random Default Race on Signup

I'd like to see the default race random, or assigned as whichever race is least common - for universe balance.

I'll even write the perl if you are too busy Appocomaster :P
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 19:34   #2
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about
Re: Random Default Race on Signup

nice idea, but whats the point lol, just creating pointless server load :P

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 19:47   #3
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Well for one when people are analysing the different races, terran numbers will not be the only fudged due to random noobs just playing the default.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 19:50   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I dont think its the best thing to have new players playing as Ziks so I'm not sure its a good idea
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 19:52   #5
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Terran for sure wasnt the easiest race last round

maybe just make the default the 'easiest' race then.
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 22:19   #6
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

How about just not having a default so players have to choose a race?
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jun 2006, 22:45   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-W
How about just not having a default so players have to choose a race?
that seems like a reasonable idea to me - someone poke Appoco to this thread.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 01:02   #8
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

As growly as he is today? NO WAY!!!
But you feel free to poke away on him, Kal.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 05:26   #9
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Defaulting to the race with the fewest players would be kinda funny. Might convince some new to the game players to try something they may not have normally picked on their own. I remember when I came back to planetarion I went with Terran cause it was the default and because I disliked the idea of Zikoninan Subversion®. Had I known more about the game I would have picked Zik. Still had fun playing Terran though.

You should still be able to pick a race when registering.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 09:53   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Terran are, in many ways, the safest race to play when you don't understand combat. Their high armour means mistakes are punished least. A couple of rounds ago, I wanted to change Xan to the default race, but was convinced otherwise. Xan are easier to defend with, and have more lower level ships that are cheaper. However, their armour means they can easily get trashed.
Unread 27 Jun 2006, 10:26   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Indeed. Similarly, having a massive influx of small Cathaar players in the universe will only just make the new players get attacked more often - as it is less costly to attack them, and because Ziks will want their tasty EMP ships.

Xans arent the best race for new players either, as they are very unforgiving - a single mistake and you could loose your fleet. If you loose your fleet and feel disheartened, then what are the chances you'll stay around to try again? Especially with a free planet...

Terran is generally the best race for new players. Spam Destroyers and Battleships is perhaps the least complex guide to fleet building .

If you wanted to make Terrans more accessable, you could play with the ship stats to move the emphasis away from DE/BA to something else. Like DE/FR for example (then imagine the fakes!! ). Or perhaps make Terran FR/CR for a change - Terrans have had a long history of effective Cruisers and Frigates, so it wouldnt detract from them too much.

Anyway, for new players Terran is definately the way to go...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2006, 00:24   #12
Saphi
Leo's Pwn :P

Saphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these partsSaphi is infamous around these parts

this is more useful in the beta tests rather than the main game

u wanna lose ppl forom the game make it random race sign up

im sure as hell dont anna play as Ter ... 1 in 4 chance i dunny wanna take that chance

(soz my typing is in txt form ... im a hapless speeler ne-one would vouch that)
------------------------------------------------
The answers you seek are not here
Saphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2006, 01:26   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphi
u wanna lose ppl forom the game make it random race sign up
Umm, that's not quite the point - what we are discussing is the "default" race choice - that is, the race automatically selected from the pulldown menu such that if you just hit "register" you become that race. atm, its Terran which the majority of new players are.

Everyone can still choose the race they want to play - the pulldown menu is still there - just that if you dont actually make a choice you become a Terran with the current setup.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 13:46   #14
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I like K-W's idea about not having a default race the most

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2006, 18:17   #15
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

me too
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 01:40   #16
Graham
Colax

Graham is an unknown quantity at this point

Me three

R15 - Member - Heroes R16 - BC - Heroic R17 - HC - Heroic R18 - HC Advisor - Heroic R19 - HC - Heroic - Left and became a Viking! R19 - Member - TGV R20 - DC - TGV R21 - Member - TGV/ToF/SubH R22 - Member TGV R23 - Founded ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs with the HC team R24 - HC ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2006, 09:05   #17
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

You could always make the game really interesting and not let anyone choose there race, just let it do random placement into the races so there's almost an even number of each.
Unread 8 Jul 2006, 14:47   #18
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

I think having a first option of 'Please choose a race' is the best idea.

Make it happen appocowoco !
Unread 15 Jul 2006, 15:30   #19
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a please choose a race bit wont make any difference even though it is a good idea
Everyone always coz for Terran/human because they are a safe bet in any game you ever play.
Newbs see:
Terran = heavy guns Hard as hell armour kills everything ... eventually.
Cat = girls who just pretend to shoot.
Xan = die easy even with hordes of them.
zik = robbings b*s*a*r*s. (prone to death coz there guns are slower than a mule with no legs)

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2006, 15:31   #20
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
You could always make the game really interesting and not let anyone choose there race, just let it do random placement into the races so there's almost an even number of each.
I refuse to play anything but Terran

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jul 2006, 19:54   #21
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

They could still keep the option on the Preferences page to let you choose what race you want to be as long as you haven't started any constructions or research. Then if you have only one race you play, you could switch to that if you don't get it.
Unread 16 Jul 2006, 00:49   #22
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
They could still keep the option on the Preferences page to let you choose what race you want to be as long as you haven't started any constructions or research. Then if you have only one race you play, you could switch to that if you don't get it.
That would make your first point kind of useless.
The best way to handle racechoosing at sign up would be just having no standard race and forcing ppl to chose the one they like. Maybe add a link next to the races which opens a pop-up box or so that tells you a little something about the race so the new ppl can check it out fast before all choosing ter

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jul 2006, 01:26   #23
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Even if it is not a default race, having terran at the top of the list you make the new signups choose from will make it the default.

random set races is bad unless someone can make 100% fair and even stats for each round, which to my knowledge there has only been 1 round where everyone has been happy. People will not want to play if they love terran but are forced into zik. Personnally I love xan and would not want to play ter or cat, and I certainly would not want to pay to play something I am not happy with.
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote