User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:10   #1
Alunan

Alunan is infamous around these partsAlunan is infamous around these partsAlunan is infamous around these parts
Saving Planetarion: The American Market

As many of you are woefully aware, the Planetarion enrollment lists have been on the decline ever since p2p became an issue. While innovation and and cleaner setups have helped stem the tides, the reality of it is that without some solid advertising there wont be a PA in 2 or 3 more rounds. Which is why I am bringing up the US market.

Currently I am getting quotes for an advertisement on Penny Arcade's website http://www.penny-arcade.com, and seeing how much some custom art would cost. Penny Arcade reaches 500 out of every million people on Earth (see Alexa), and has a following 3 million strong, all gamers. An advertisement for a week on Penny Arcade would equate to hundreds of thousands of hits, thousands of which would at leas sign up and give it a chance. These are people who had to be forced to stop donating to Penny Arcade monthly after the site got back up on its feet 5 years ago (after it almost went down due to finacial problems). They have the interest, the money, and the numbers to infuse Planetarion with some solid players. Not to mention the word of mouth on the Penny Arcade forums is huge.

If the quotes are reasonable I plan to be paying a large portion of this ad out of my own pocket, but will also set up (maybe an official one if admins like the idea) a paypal account for those interested on donating. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by Alunan; 11 Jun 2004 at 05:12. Reason: Title
Alunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:31   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: The American Market

can't see a big problem with this. it'll mean lots of new players. hopefully the guides will be in place to support them. But as alch showed with his banner, advertising to people interested in gaming is the way forward to increase the community.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:34   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The American Market

What kind of timetable are you working on? I ask because the current round just started and I think it would be best if the advertising preceded the start of a round (after signups were open but before ticks started; or maybe during the public beta).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:38   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
What kind of timetable are you working on? I ask because the current round just started and I think it would be best if the advertising preceded the start of a round (after signups were open but before ticks started; or maybe during the public beta).
I guess if they're quick they can make it, they do have a week still... if they wait around for too long they'll get bored. You know how these gamers are with short attention spans . But yes, the all singing all dancing Planetarion Version 3 / Round 12 / whatever it's called might be better, especially with gfx + nice skins (the black / blue ones are nice. clearly we need more of them ). btw I'm rubbish at graphics, not saying it's necessary because I'm addicted anyway, but some people prefer things to look at.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:58   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I reccomend a huge advertising campaign - presumable as cheap as possible.
Then a free round of the new game - can be used to find bugs, beta etc - to act as a free trial.
Then have a pay round.

I appreciate there's not a lot of money for advertising and a free round incorporates a lot of foregone revenue, but if I was Jolt and thought PA was worth it, this would be the line I'd go down.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 05:11   #6
Alunan

Alunan is infamous around these partsAlunan is infamous around these partsAlunan is infamous around these parts

Penny Arcade ads aren't fabulously expensive, but they aren't cheap either. They could possibly run up to a thousand dollars (and if its more than that then you know how good a gauge I have on the situation), but it would be extremely viable.

My e-mail is still making its way through their business department for quotes. Tycho forwarded it over there, but god knows when I will get a reponse, much less the money and the ad. I think it would be wise to put it up at the beginning of Round 11.5 Beta. That way, they will get a free taste, and they wont be bored as the ticks will be much faster.

That will prime them to pump for the real round eh?
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 05:35   #7
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

you can check out about the banner i have made, not something fancy but basically its there to help out PA, and webmaster are free to display it on their sites, i am highly grateful to theses sites who allready agreed to make some free advertisment for PA.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=177949
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 12:15   #8
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. I earlier suggested the asian market too. I mean south korea and japan got loads of gamers. loads.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 12:55   #9
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past

oh no then we get wierd japanees on irc
/me hides

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 13:35   #10
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Alch i like your banner. it makes me want to click on it however what i feel is lacking is a proper landing page on the PA site for the people cliking on this ad. This page should :
- explain in a few words what kind of game it is
- give an incentive for registering : 'Get a free planet'... upgrade if you're satisfied.
- have a big 'Register here' button
- have a link to the manual
- have a link to the forums
- have links to a series of screenshots
- have a 'tell your friend' link

and maybe change the perception of people. PA is not a P2P game, it's a free game where you can pay to play better.
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 15:43   #11
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

you are right
ill redirect you to the PA team
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 15:50   #12
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alunan
Penny Arcade ads aren't fabulously expensive, but they aren't cheap either. They could possibly run up to a thousand dollars (and if its more than that then you know how good a gauge I have on the situation), but it would be extremely viable.

My e-mail is still making its way through their business department for quotes. Tycho forwarded it over there, but god knows when I will get a reponse, much less the money and the ad. I think it would be wise to put it up at the beginning of Round 11.5 Beta. That way, they will get a free taste, and they wont be bored as the ticks will be much faster.

That will prime them to pump for the real round eh?
1,000.00 USD United States Dollars=549.815 GBP United Kingdom Pounds (www.xe.com)
say £550 = 165 acounts (in blocks of 3 for £10) or 110 just 1 for £5. I know that Jolt probably won't pay to advertise, but do you think that this many people will do it? Also, we'll have to increase general IRC + game support if this many people join (assume say 33% of people upgrade - that's at least 350 new people, and some of them will come on IRC). Maybe a version of mIRC that's been modified and setup to make it easier for players to use?
Unread 11 Jun 2004, 16:36   #13
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

I paid for advertising on a couple of sites for the last round. You are right, Jolt wouldn't pay for advertising directly, but we would give some free accounts away to some sites who did advertise.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 14:29   #14
Mr. Juggalo
eia bro

Mr. Juggalo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Good idea. I earlier suggested the asian market too. I mean south korea and japan got loads of gamers. loads.

-Jonas-

This will never work simply because of the language barrier.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 17:56   #15
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

What about those banner ads you can take out, where you only pay if people linked from that site actually sign up ? They're quite popular these days aren't they ?
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 01:46   #16
thaeter
Got my villain necktie

thaeter is an unknown quantity at this point

its pretty ****ing retarded that the company doesnt try any means of promotion. (jolt).. But the site looks good and think i'd be willing to help fund some of te advertising...
thaeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 02:32   #17
alch
Retired

thaeter - we are putting together some advertising fund, please mail me to [email protected] - if you are inerested of giving some to the fund.
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 03:43   #18
Alunan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch
thaeter - we are putting together some advertising fund, please mail me to [email protected] - if you are inerested of giving some to the fund.
Hey get your own saving Planetarion thread!

I am still waiting on those Penny Arcade Quotes. I think a single one-time ad would be enough on that site...
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 07:54   #19
alch
Retired

hehe, well we 1 week on mpogd.com i guess another 1 week on penny arcade would be good aswell
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 01:53   #20
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Juggalo
This will never work simply because of the language barrier.
Spinenr go learn japaneese :P

Well that IS the main problem, however more and more of them know good englihs(lol I refuse to edit that word, as it is very ironic)

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote