User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 09:53   #1
soul-runner

those stupid questions as you log in

i understand why they are done and on the whole it is a good idea.............but i just got a question wrong,here is the question. is a lion a big cat or dog?
now i always thought that a lion was a big cat,so i typed in big cat....but oh no thats the wrong answer. YES THATS RIGHT a lion is not a big cat, its just a cat. my point is this. i thought you had to type in the exact answer to prove you are not a bot. so how many of these dodgy questions are there,and how many mistakes do we get away with before they shut us down .....oh and god help you if you are dyslexic and mix your numbers around. but apart from that gripe the layout looks good and i am sure the rest of the game will be excellent
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 10:38   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Your account will only be locked if you get 10 consecutive answers wrong.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 10:42   #3
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past
10 in one go or 10 total in your round?

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 10:46   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Waku
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Your account will only be locked if you get 10 consecutive answers wrong.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 11:11   #5
Waku
a simple pe0n

dont use such words then im not an english teacher

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 11:15   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
dont use such words then im not an english teacher
Go to www.dictionary.com, look it up and learn
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 11:16   #7
Waku
a simple pe0n

hey thx I can use that

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 13:47   #8
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Parra purporsely kept getting them wrong, to see if he would be closed (and unable to be attacked). The result was that he was closed for 1 tick only and on getting his next answer right was allowed back into his account.

Whilst being closed he could have still been attacked too.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 13:53   #9
Desse
Pr0nstar

Desse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud ofDesse has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Parra purporsely kept getting them wrong, to see if he would be closed (and unable to be attacked).
Nah

That was just his excuse for getting them wrong.

Ascendancy - While you were trying, we were sleeping

(@Karmulian) i deffo got roided looking at my planets
Desse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 14:16   #10
ÐarkÅngel
Innocent..

ÐarkÅngel is on a distinguished road
Those questions are annoying. Why cant it be a simple "y" or "n" response.. Stumbling out of bed in the middle of the night, half asleep.. smack your toe into some peice of furniture you could have sworn wasn't there the night before. Just to log in and get a question where you have to count the amount of letters in a word you can barely see. Perhaps get a question about some country you know nothing of.. Oversleeping an alarm, haveing seconds to do whatever you need to do with your fleet, and wham.. the questions are in the way..
ÐarkÅngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 14:27   #11
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by ÐarkÅngel
Those questions are annoying. Why cant it be a simple "y" or "n" response.. Stumbling out of bed in the middle of the night, half asleep.. smack your toe into some peice of furniture you could have sworn wasn't there the night before. Just to log in and get a question where you have to count the amount of letters in a word you can barely see. Perhaps get a question about some country you know nothing of.. Oversleeping an alarm, haveing seconds to do whatever you need to do with your fleet, and wham.. the questions are in the way..
Better the devil you know.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 4 Mar 2003, 14:35   #12
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ÐarkÅngel
Y or N gives you a 50% chance at getting the answer right. Given 10 tries, the odds that one time you get one right is pretty good. So this would pretty much defeat the point of the login question.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 15:21   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

In addition, these questions are horribly simple. Even in the middle of the night it's very unlikely anyone with an IQ high enough to dress himself would manage to get 10 in a row wrong.
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 15:41   #14
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
In addition, these questions are horribly simple. Even in the middle of the night it's very unlikely anyone with an IQ high enough to dress himself would manage to get 10 in a row wrong.
Aside from the famed 10 - 6 + 4 question, which everyone misreads and assumes to be 10.

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 15:50   #15
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Petru
Aside from the famed 10 - 6 + 4 question, which everyone misreads and assumes to be 10.
bitter?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 19:22   #16
Shadow1980

Quote:
Originally posted by Petru
I can see they would answer 0 instead of 8 but I really dont see where u get the 10 from....

PETRU STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD
Unread 4 Mar 2003, 19:37   #17
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
everyone Petru?

-Necro
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 08:19   #18
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
everyone Petru?

-Necro
Kloopy at least

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 16:04   #19
Ares

I had a question like that:
Who's president of USA?

Now... what the hell is the right answer?
Bush?
George Bush?
or may be
George W. Bush?
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 19:26   #20
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

IIRC it's G W Bush. No periods. I may be wrong.

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 20:30   #21
Ares

I really see the reason of these questions. But please make sure there's just one possible Answer.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 21:33   #22
Prince
Free!

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point
Now seems a good time,
there are awhole bunch of news questions that should be mixed in once we start ticks

alot easier I hope (i have'nt seen them)
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 22:24   #23
[Smurf]Pies
TeamPies

[Smurf]Pies can only hope to improve
is a lion a big cat or dog?

answer = Cat

u retard fs

is it a Big cat or Big dog the question means i guess so answer is cat!

ok thats cleared up now!

<Pies> i dont neeed explanations now i'm on a wave of self rigious rightness
<Pies> :P
<Pies> and i'm gibbering insanley nm

<Pies> your gonna make me get pm's
<Pies> saying ive got a ego
<Pies> larger then a house again
<[TeamPies]MrPink> you´re the biggest ego i have ever seen

Round2 - Round 10
[Ministry]
Heresy

R4
114,[WTF]Smurf Village[TGS][NFU] (30:14)
97,The PieCastle (30:14:7)

R5
37,[Ag][WPO] Gauls [Fury] (21:04)

R6
1,Ðragons[WP][OWAGE!][Tapper] (5:24)
81, ur friends (5:24:22)
[Smurf]Pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:37   #24
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Prince
Now seems a good time,
there are awhole bunch of news questions that should be mixed in once we start ticks

alot easier I hope (i have'nt seen them)
Is that news questions or new questions. I'm not having a go, just both seem possible.

Unread 7 Mar 2003, 08:43   #25
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Is that news questions or new questions. I'm not having a go, just both seem possible.
My thought would be new questions. Slightly ironic considering how many spelling errors there are in the existing questions.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 09:57   #26
Kenny Hawkes

I just got asked "what color is the sky" so i looked out the window and typed in "grey" but it said I was wrong, should I have spelt it "gray" instead?
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 12:54   #27
Backbone
The one and only

Backbone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Hawkes
I just got asked "what color is the sky" so i looked out the window and typed in "grey" but it said I was wrong, should I have spelt it "gray" instead?
and what about the night? is the correct answer then black with bright spots?

10 times mightier than 2001
Backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:08   #28
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
They should limit the times wrong to max 5 in stead of 10. Max 3 even if they get rid of the worst open questions like the us president one.

The spelling of the questions is indeed horrible and it would have been better if someone had at least take notice of this and corrected a few.

hAl
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:26   #29
Prince
Free!

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
They should limit the times wrong to max 5 in stead of 10. Max 3 even if they get rid of the worst open questions

hAl

how does limiting the wrong answers help?

now as no one has seen the new questions the odds of a bot being able to get them right would be extremly low, on the over hand i've got 4 wrong in a row due to the image caching

so lowering them would just end up with more people locked out for 1 tick?
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 12:42   #30
m_bergs

For those who get a question that they know that they wont get right, press "Enter" for a new question
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 13:59   #31
Biw_biw

Biw_biw is an unknown quantity at this point
is that true???
Unread 8 Mar 2003, 16:30   #32
KingGnome
PA addict

KingGnome is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: those stupid questions as you log in

Quote:
Originally posted by soul-runner
YES THATS RIGHT a lion is ... a cat.
Quote:
Originally posted by Biw_biw
is that true???
Yes

Unless u ment

Quote:
Originally posted by m_bergs
For those who get a question that they know that they wont get right, press "Enter" for a new question
in which case the answer is ... uhhh... still yes

It counts as getting a question wrong, but u do get a new one
KingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 00:52   #33
g@pe

the questions are all english. i like english very much, but i'm not nativ speaking english. so sometimes i had problems to understand the question...

and a bot can't be stopped through these questions. just collect the questions, spread them over an ally to get the answers and then the bot can do them all... :eek:
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 02:18   #34
chemical
Honorary Member

chemical is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to see a filter that not only keeps bots out, but also retards

Giving the equations should do the trick
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 04:48   #35
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Have sat before typing in user and pass to get to question screen then hitting back button and going again to see the diff questions. Theres a few very rare ones too...
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 11:12   #36
m_bergs

Re: Re: those stupid questions as you log in

Quote:
Originally posted by KingGnome

in which case the answer is ... uhhh... still yes

It counts as getting a question wrong, but u do get a new one
I ment, just press enter without writing anything, you will then get a brand new question, all for you
Unread 14 Mar 2003, 09:31   #37
Ares

Angry

I had the US President one again. Please delete this one or post the Answer :-(
Unread 14 Mar 2003, 10:16   #38
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Ares
I had the US President one again. Please delete this one or post the Answer :-(
george w bush
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 09:53   #39
^Myst3r13s^
We ShaLL NoT Be MoveD

^Myst3r13s^ is an unknown quantity at this point
amen brother amen
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 09:58   #40
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
i hate the shakesphere question...

CAUSE I KNOW HOW TO SPELL SHAKESPHERE
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 11:41   #41
Hiall

bloody annoying

What color are oranges?
Fill this in the box below: wings
Is chocolate usually brown or pink?
How many days in a week? 9, 7,8 or 6?
A tiger is a big cat or a dog?
Type the following word into the box: Beer
5 muliplied by 5 is ?
If the sun is in your eyes, do you wear sunglasses or a hippo?

come on they're ****
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 12:51   #42
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Hiall
come on they're ****
Come up with a few better ones then.
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 13:42   #43
Zitos
vole vo koshe avec moi?

Zitos is an unknown quantity at this point
If you loose a bet, and dont turn up in your wifes dress.. Who would you then be?

Answer: Spinner..
round 3 :: 037:20 -- [trg] "judge dean of zitoz"
round 4 :: 236:17 -- [trg] [reborn] "gambler zitoz of deaths casino"
round 5 :: 025:20 -- [trg] [t&p] "superthief of stolen roids"
round 7 :: 015:07 -- [trg] [t&p] "superthief of ldkbots"
round 8 :: 028:07 -- [trg] [nfu] "i am tired of this"
round 9 :: 049:09 -- [wolves] [attitude] "i couldnt think of a fancy planet and ruler name"
Zitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 22:54   #44
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually have sat 3 minutes at my screen trying to figure out the answer. Ofcourse, that was the third time I got up that night so I really wasnt 'thinking' anymore.

The questions suck ass, big ass and lots of it.
For the love of god just make people copy a 4-6 digit code.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Mar 2003, 23:07   #45
Zitos
vole vo koshe avec moi?

Zitos is an unknown quantity at this point
True / False: Planetarion is a stabel game, with no bugs..

False.. Fool..

:-) *looks at galaxy screen*
- the zitoz
round 3 :: 037:20 -- [trg] "judge dean of zitoz"
round 4 :: 236:17 -- [trg] [reborn] "gambler zitoz of deaths casino"
round 5 :: 025:20 -- [trg] [t&p] "superthief of stolen roids"
round 7 :: 015:07 -- [trg] [t&p] "superthief of ldkbots"
round 8 :: 028:07 -- [trg] [nfu] "i am tired of this"
round 9 :: 049:09 -- [wolves] [attitude] "i couldnt think of a fancy planet and ruler name"
Zitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 00:55   #46
fiddler123b
vacation-monkey

fiddler123b is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
i hate the shakesphere question...

CAUSE I KNOW HOW TO SPELL SHAKESPHERE

shakespeare you mean?
and dont correct me, i just checked it on the complete works of shakespeare
fiddler123b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 13:42   #47
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
"if the answer isnt Yes, it is ...?"

well, depends on the question.

"what is your name?"
"what colour is a leaf?"
"how many irishmen does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

the answer to none of the above is "yes" but nor is it "no"

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 13:47   #48
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo
So a question is bad, because while the correct answer is very easy to get and requires only a small bit of logic, you can think of several other answers that would technically be correct?
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 15:43   #49
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
my point is, why questions? why not the same as virtually any other website requiring this sort of protection, where it is simply "enter the numbers in the box above".

i admit, its a silly complaint, not even a complaint, just a point. and this thread is rather silly, just a standard "another thing wrong with pa" thread.

but hey, i havent posted in a while im allowed 1 useless post arent i?

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 15:51   #50
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo
my point is, why questions? why not the same as virtually any other website requiring this sort of protection, where it is simply "enter the numbers in the box above".
I believe the reasoning behind this was to foil OCR techniques, or at the very least make it harder to use them.

If you create a program which can "read" those automated images, it's not a problem at all to enter the number that you've just read into the box, whereas with the questions, you have to create a database of all the questions in order to have the program be able to log in, which you need to keep updated whenever new questions get added as well.