User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Sep 2006, 19:04   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
yet another headphone thread

i have started jogging recently and this seems to be as good an excuse as any to finally switch from earphones to headphones. with this in mind, i'd still like a pair that is reasonably compact so i can carry them around for other times too, i travel fairly lengthy journeys daily so this is pretty important. i'm also reasonably picky with regards to sound quality though not to the length of nod or idi though. price range is £20~.

(in addition to this, are there any reliable + cheap mp3 players+usb drives thingies that are "plug and play" for under £20 as well, 512mb would be best i suspect)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 20:56   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: yet another headphone thread

If you're only playing mp3s then buying an expensive pair of headphones isn't going to increase the sound quality.

It'd be like using a Formula 1 car with a Ford Fiesta engine and wondering why it won't go at 200mph.

The only thing you should worry about is the aesthetic quality of them (this "big chunky black/chrome headphones" thing seems to be trendy in london but i don't understand it myself) and how comfy they are.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:01   #3
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

There is a biiig difference between £2 tinny rubbish and a reasonable £15ish pair.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:05   #4
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

£20, reduced to £7.99

Hurry while stocks last etc.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:20   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P...&s=electronics
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P...&s=electronics

are my first two options at the moment, i'm tempted to cut things cheap and get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-147711-...&s=electronics which has free uk delivery but bah, too many options!
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:33   #6
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
£20, reduced to £7.99

Hurry while stocks last etc.

They nice, might grab em myself.

Full write up review following ofc!

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:39   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I have these: http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PORTAPRO

They're sitting quite firm on the head + they deliver a damn good sound. Also, they can be folded together so they doesn't take up much space (as you can se e in the upper right picture). You also have a life-time warranty on them. If you break them or even piss on them, you'll get a free repair or a new set.

I highly recommend them.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 21:42   #8
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

I highly recommend pissing on them and seeing if that guaruntee comes up good

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:16   #9
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I own the same pair Nadar. It's nice, but I prefer my sporta pro for jogging (I'm a bit of a nerd to have two...). And I tested that lifetime guarantee after a drunken night. It worked well enough but it took a long time for them to provide a new pair. They are also a bit more expensive than the £20 tag I think, but both porta pro and sporta pro are highly recommended.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:18   #10
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

This is the best ones I've ever got (it was a gift): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V50...&s=electronics

A bit pricey but it's ace.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:33   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just bought a pair of Koss KSC-75s, they're ace.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koss-5424-SC...860610?ie=UTF8

They clip around your ear, I've had no problems with them staying on despite having fairly small ears. The sound quality is amazing for the price, so unless you want to spend £50+, get these.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:55   #12
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P.../dp/B000300TOY

bought em in april - using em for pc and mp3 - great sound quality and now good price - i paid alot more at the time.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:57   #13
jerome

nevermind, i went with the sennheiser px-200's, seems decent enough. furball: a friend of mine has those, didn't really suit me, i was tempted though.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 02:19   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
If you're only playing mp3s then buying an expensive pair of headphones isn't going to increase the sound quality.
I doubt you could tell the difference between a well-encoded mp3 and a CD, the idea that mp3s sound bad is a myth brought about by a combination of people listening to low quality encodings (< 192kps), and significantly overestimating their hearing. Everyone claims that they can tell mp3s and CDs apart, yet most fail to do so in proper abx tests.

Last edited by Nodrog; 22 Sep 2006 at 04:34.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 03:15   #15
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
This is the best ones I've ever got (it was a gift): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-V50...&s=electronics

A bit pricey but it's ace.
My pair snapped after about 18 months, apparently a common issue with the mk1s or something. At £35 (bought mine for £50 back in the day) and a revised model to fix the issue I'm damn tempted to re-purchase.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 11:29   #16
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i just bought this thing for 20 euros. it was worth the money.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 11:53   #17
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i just bought this thing for 20 euros. it was worth the money.
I really can't see jer jogging around with headphones with a microphone on.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 12:22   #18
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't think jer's an uber-geek.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 12:22   #19
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesigedB
My pair snapped after about 18 months, apparently a common issue with the mk1s or something. At £35 (bought mine for £50 back in the day) and a revised model to fix the issue I'm damn tempted to re-purchase.
Mine hasn't snapped.

Had it since 2002.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 14:26   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if you'd spent £30, you could've got a pair of Shure e2c's and would've been much, MUCH happier.

Trust me.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 15:28   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
if you'd spent £30, you could've got a pair of Shure e2c's and would've been much, MUCH happier.

Trust me.
E2Cs are really overpriced in the UK and cost about £50 or so (the same as etymotic er6is), but yeah, something like that would probably have been his best bet anyway. However it depends on where he's jogging; if he was doing it in the city then blocking out all outside noise might not be a great idea.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 16:24   #22
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

I think I've missed something - why is jogging a good excuse for using headphones instead of earphones? I've always prefered earphones, easy to get away with using them during lessons too
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 16:51   #23
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
(in addition to this, are there any reliable + cheap mp3 players+usb drives thingies that are "plug and play" for under £20 as well, 512mb would be best i suspect)

With regards to your mp3 plug & play player query jerome, I seriously suggest you go for 1GB instead of 512mb.

More songs, less hassle to change them every day or two. I've upped my memory stick size to 2GB.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 16:56   #24
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
E2Cs are really overpriced in the UK and cost about £50 or so (the same as etymotic er6is), but yeah, something like that would probably have been his best bet anyway. However it depends on where he's jogging; if he was doing it in the city then blocking out all outside noise might not be a great idea.
I found E2c's on Ebay (UK) for about 30 quid.

Agree with the blocking out sound though, I thank my wife every time I use my E2c's on planes for being able to hear music/films without turning the volume up to max just to get over engine/plane noise, which then makes it distorted and, well, shit.

They're way better than the on-ear noise-cancelling headphones I used to have, for a similar price, are more comfortable (once you find the right earbuds) and the sound is superb

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 15:25   #25
jerome

ok guys, apparently they didn't have any stock of the px-200's and if i still want it i've got to call them up and ask them to get a new batch in etc etc so now i'm having second thoughts and wondering whether i should get shure's from ebay or maybe just get cheaper stuff from koss or maybe this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/c...nDate&n=560798

dilemna!
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 16:06   #26
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

not very practical if you want to carry them around with an mp3 player
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 22:37   #27
gazza_dj
Resident Nutter.

gazza_dj can only hope to improve

h**p://ec1img.pchome.com.tw/sonyhp/img/SOD00003_3L.jpg i have these headphones.
got them a couple of days ago, and i think they are pretty damn good. they cost £20. the cables retract back into the headphones, so the cables never get tangled. the sound quality is really good, with powerful bass, and very clear and crisp treble and midrange.
i skateboard wearing these headphones, and so far they have been really good. when im skating i have to have the volume up pretty much full, and there is no distortion at all, even when im using a bassy EQ. the MP3 player i use when skating is similar to h**p://safecom.cn/code/sub/category.asp?subcatid=6&prdid=15 its pretty battered after 2 years of abuse. it still plays music fine, but it is a mission to load any new songs onto it, as the abuse has completely ruined the usb connector.

bah, not allowed to post URL's :/