User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jan 2005, 22:12   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
lots of blue screens

i ordered a new computer, but it takes some time to deliver, so:
i keep getting blue screens. mostly i happens during games, but sometimes it even happens when i do nothing at all. i just ran memtest86 and my memory seems to be fine. my cpu is at 47°C (Athlon 1800+) which also seems to be fine, i used to run it at 60° without any problems until i put in another fan. and im running Windows XP which never made any trouble before.
so what else can be the problem? should i try reinstalling windows?
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:20   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: lots of blue screens

You COULD try to reinstall Windows, but if you're unlucky and the memory is fecked (often giving BSOD's) then there is a chance you won't be able to install Windows anymore. However, it could also very well be that Windows is buggered.

Perhaps you could try removing one of the memory thingies if you have more than one and see if that solves your problem.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 15:37   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

i checked the memory with memtest86, it found no problems. i also removed those memory thingies (whats the english word for them?) and tryed both of them alone, no difference
i didn'T try reinstalling windows yet, because ive been using it for years and so far i never managed to screw it up so much that it produces blue screens
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 16:03   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
i checked the memory with memtest86, it found no problems. i also removed those memory thingies (whats the english word for them?) and tryed both of them alone, no difference
Sorry, read over that. Long day etc etc.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 16:07   #5
wu_trax

you were right. it seems to be a memory error. during the install i got a 'page error in non-paged area' or something like that. fortunatly that happened even before i formated.
i guess i just have to hang around in the forums until i get my new computer

btw, how is your computer order going? the shop i ordered at got my mainboard (i picked one with sli-support) today, but it seems i still have to wait for that damn grafic card, even though they should have gotten it today
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 17:07   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Still no sign of the motherboard. The rest has been reserved already, except for the motherboard, but I MUST HAVE a PCI-express board for socket 939, and it doesn't matter whether it's SLI or not but all boards are unavailable (so their site states). I'll just wait another while. I'm in no hurry.
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 17:50   #7
wu_trax

apparently they've got my graphic card now (no confirmation email yet, but on their website they say they have it). maybe ill get everything together within this week \o/

btw, i picked it purley at random, so can anyone tell me if the Asus 128MB EN6600 GT TD PCI-E is any good?
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 09:58   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

My order is being collected (picked?) at this moment. With a bit of luck I have it at home tomorrow.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 10:13   #9
wu_trax

mine hasn't
what a crappy shop. it's cheap but it takes ages:
at some day last week i send them an email to cancel the order of the main board, so that i can order it at another shop that is faster. i didn't get one of those they got last week. yesterday, when new boards arrived, they send me a confirmation of my changed order. so i should get the RAM, processor and grafic card today or tomorrow, but no MB, because i now have to order it at another shop
crap

PS: is it safe to put RAM that is supposed to run with 400Mhz in a borad that only uses 266Mhz?
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:36   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yes. use the bios to clock it down (if its recommended for speed concerns)

on my asus board the memory is clocked at 333 but the cpu has only a 266fsb.
whilst its perfectly possible to run hte memory at 333mhz apparently most places say that theres a marginal speed increase if you sync the speed of the memory to that of the cpu.

however it could only be on my asus board. youd have to google around.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 13:36   #11
wu_trax

i thought about putting my new memory on my old board (if that even works, i have no idea if DDR = DDR) so that i at least have a stable(but slow) system while i wait for my new board.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 15:21   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

fast ddr(1) will work on a slow ddr(1)slot, IF the voltages are the same.

trying ddr2 in a ddr1 slot probably wouldn't be genius
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 13:05   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
fast ddr(1) will work on a slow ddr(1)slot, IF the voltages are the same.

trying ddr2 in a ddr1 slot probably wouldn't be genius
Does that even fit?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 17:42   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Does that even fit?
i doubt it, but i don't wanna be blamed for someone blowing up their nice shiny stuff, so i was playing safe
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 19:32   #15
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Does that even fit?
With a hammer and enough force, anything fits!

Ofcourse it's common sense that if something in your computer would take a hammer to get it to fit, you should prolly get a different component

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 20:26   #16
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i doubt it, but i don't wanna be blamed for someone blowing up their nice shiny stuff, so i was playing safe
and thats a good thing, given that apparently i am extraordinarily stupid. for example, if you run an online shop and 'someone' (i.e. me) orders something you would guess that that person checks the adress he entered, wouldn't you? especially if that person sends you a lot of emails and is pretty much annoying. if, then, you use the postal code as the default password for the log in area of your shop you would think that at least the postal code of the delivery adress is right, wouldn't you?
but no, you can never be safe from idiots. i guess ill never get my stuff, because im just to dumb to order
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 08:32   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I received my computer yesterday... assembled it... booted it... nothing...
I think the motherboard is fried because I don't get any POST beeps.
CPU fan runs, video card fan runs, CD-rom drive seems to start (flashing light and stuff), but there it stops.
Holding the on/off button for >5 seconds doesn't shut it down, no POST beeps that booting succeeded or failed, no text on screen.

I removed everything from the motherboard except for the memory, booted again, still nothing.

Going to try without memory tonight, else the MOBO is going RMA.
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 10:07   #18
Kan3
The Kan3 is back!

Kan3 is infamous around these parts

Your hard drive could be nackered. Go to the Hitachi/IBM site and download a program called "Drive Fitness Test version 4. It boots into a DOS shell and runs a complete check of your hard drive (roughly 20 minutes).
Kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote