User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Jan 2005, 04:16   #51
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Women drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
crime figures never include the guilty people that i get off.
i assume there are enough lawyers of dubious morality for this to even out, hence not affecting statistics.

besides, if in the process of getting a client off you manage to make the car return to it's origonal owner you're gooood
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 04:20   #52
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i assume there are enough lawyers of dubious morality for this to even out, hence not affecting statistics.

besides, if in the process of getting a client off you manage to make the car return to it's origonal owner you're gooood
yeah.
cars go back no matter what.

whether we have dubious morality or not, the other lawyers are shit.

Last edited by Yahwe; 25 Jan 2005 at 04:22. Reason: typo
Yahwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 04:37   #53
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
whether we have dubious morality or not, the other lawyers are shit.
have you read pa's eula? you'd probably giggle
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 09:48   #54
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

demiGOD - You've put me off American women.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 10:52   #55
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
Women are not better nor worse then men in anything. Some women are worse then men drivers, while other women are better driver then some men drivers. People who look for gender, sexual preferences, skin colour or anything else to prove a argument should be given "the cum".

Actually conclusive studies have been undertaken time and time again (i can google if you REALLY want me too) that prove that women are far far better at creative / nurturing / home making blah blah blah (a fair few things) than men and men are much better at various other things.

Due to the way in which we evolved (men being the hunters) we also had parts of our brain develop to understand space and time. Primitive man with his spear would (without thinking conciously) calculate how fast the animal was running. how fast he was running. the speed at which he could throw and the direction hed have to throw the spear or whatnot to achieve a hit.
All of these things are vastly complicated maths when you think about it yet 'hunting' is precisely this. Man developed the centres of the brain which are pretty much dedicated to just this sort of 3dimensional spatial awareness.

In modern day very few people hunt but men still have all of this inbuilt. Its been proved that a man spatial ability is considerably better than a womans because he understands 3 dimensions / speed / distance / time etc better than a woman can. This comes in very handy when your parking a car or driving about. Its also why men love speed more than women do (on average). Chemicals are released in our brain because we genuinely enjoy doing the calculations and getting them right. Anyone who has ever driven fast will know what im talking about. The feeling of timing a gear change, braking, cornering and acclerating perfectly is great....
This is also why men 'push harder' and travel faster and also take more risks.

This is why there are very few women fighter pilots. Not because its a 'biased system' so much as men are simply better at it than women are. Its also why theres very few / no women in motorsport events. (although the fighter pilot arguement is a better one).

The reason incidently why men are more of an insurance risk is as follows (i heard this on the radio from an insurer type guy)

Whilst women make more claims then men, these claims are small. They usually involve scratched paintwork. minor bodywork damage from hitting parked cars/walls etc etc. Its never usually a 'huge thing' or a write off..(basically things that involve moving the car about in day to day life and not being able to work out how big the car is or how close it has come to something else)

However whilst men make very few (comparitvely speaking) claims such as these there is a far larger proportion who make large claims (massive collisions). When men tend to crash its usually done with a rather large bang usually because of a complete miscalculation in timing / a too big a risk or plain arrogance fuelled by testosterone.

Hence the insurance gap between men and women..
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:14   #56
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I (daftly) allowed my mate who's learning to drive to try and park my car at the weekend, at the side of the road. I pointed out a space that was about twice the length of the car and left it up to her as to whether we'd go in forwards or try and parallel park.

Obviously she chose forwards, as I would in a space that big. No point arseing about with reversing it in when you can just drive straight in. After five minutes of shunting backwards and forwards without changing end orientation of the car once, we settled for "Want me to 'finish it off'?". "Yep!".

Now ok, I know she's learning, but:
a) She's 21 and has got as far as her first test when she was 19, before dropping it for various reasons. No she didn't crash the test car or fail spectacularly (accumulated minors for mirrorwork became a major if I remember rightly), so less of that you lot
b) She's been having lessons again for a month now

It would seem that spatial awareness is something she just doesn't "get".
However, I'm crap at maths and she's ace to the extent she did further maths at A-level (we're on the same course) so clearly she doesn't conform to all female stereotypes.
Judging from the mirror work she's going to turn into one of those little old ladies that nearly crashed into me as I described earlier though. I shall return here in 50 year's time and let you know if the theory holds true

Interesting topic, diverging slightly:
She is also absolutely TERRIBLE at any FPS game you get her to try. I don't mean in terms of being crap at shooting people (although she is!), I just mean crap at actually moving around and knowing where she is. Related?
However, she's insanely brilliant at any high-speed/time pressured puzzle game such as tetris, bubble bobble or similar, and wipes the floor with me every time.

Hmm...
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:33   #57
Danae
loved

Danae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura aboutDanae has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
it is ALWAYS a woman who does any or all of the following
Always?! Yeah right....
Danae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:39   #58
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have covered (in 3 years and 4 months of driving)

5000miles in the United States.
60,000 miles in the United Kingdom
A few hundred around europe.

my theory holds true.
Dad covers approximately 40-50,000 miles a year and he is very much in the same frame of mind. if not always then 99% of the time.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 11:45   #59
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
i'm far from convinced.

crime figures give an accurate representation of a small area, as they're done on a postcode basis. lumping someone in with 50% of the population seems hugely unreliable, and as such i'm surprised it's not been challenged.
"Adverse Selection"
They can't tell exact things about you - whether you are a good driver or not. They are not going to pay for a full on survey of you, hence they use screening devices so they are right on average what your claims for the year will be.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 12:07   #60
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a lot harder to pin down car risk to a relatively small sample like a postcode though.
The best that can be done is figuring out how likely your car is to be nicked based on the registered postcode, which is why one of my mates pays rather more for his insurance on a similar car than I do, as he lives in a proper dodgy area.

It's hardly like you do the same for crashes, as the circumstances are a lot more complex and the possibilities huge. Why should 3 people on your street getting thier cars written off in motorway pileups mea you pay more for your little runabout that you only ever intend to take 2 miles down the road to the shops?
Face it, crash risk by age and gender is a lot more reliable and practicable than any other demographic. It's not perfect, hell I'm getting screwed by it now as I'm still a 'young' male, but I admit that it's a reasonable assesment.

So as JJ was saying, women make many small claims, men make few large claims (probably having crashed into someone while trying to get round the woman making an arse of parking her car). Factor in age and it's about as accurate as you can realisticly get.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 12:27   #61
Aviendha
RaH !!!

Aviendha is an unknown quantity at this point

I do about 100.000 kms a year.

I get told a lot i 'drive like a guy'.

People seem to consider this a compliment...

Falls in the same category of compliments as 'You're a bitch' *slap* 'I meant bitch as in Babe In Total Control of Herself' *rolleyes*

Some people can drive, others can't. Brainsize, anthropology and hormones have very little to do with this i think.

As to the anthropology approach JJ gave, hunter-mind and all that. The latest theory is actually that ADHD is caused by the 'Hunter-mind'. Men have developed more towards the farmer/gatherer, the ones stuck behind in this cultural swing away from hunting are more prone to ADHD.

The above theory is about as clearcut as saying women can't drive
Aviendha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 12:37   #62
JammyJim
Godfather

for the most.

they cant.

theres obviously exceptions to the rule and any woman who reads this will go 'BUT IM TEH BEST DRIVER EVAR'
and of course most men think the same too.

however whenever i see appauling driving its almost certainly a woman or an old person.
by appauling i dont mean reckless driving or fast driving. i mean 'drive you up the wall with my crapness' driving.

reckless and fast are usually young men whove just passed their test.
Unread 25 Jan 2005, 15:09   #63
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
volvo missed a trick there:/

seriously tho, cars should be taxed based on how many mpg they do.
with the whole new cilinderdeactivation and various driving styles i doubt this will ever be inforced

I am with JJ on the fact that people braking (just braking in general) for no particular reason is highly annoying.