User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 02:44   #1
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future
[Approved] Unpaid planets cant be ministers

This is plain silly. If anything being a minister might make an unpaid planet more active and there fore make him/her want to pay.

This is especially silly in weak gals where most of the planets have been exiled there and are unpaid.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 08:40   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Unpaid planets cant be ministers

Agreed. It's a nice thing to do in theory, but bad for the game in practice.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 12:36   #3
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Definately. If minister/GC posts had an incentive to be it then maybe ok, but as it is its just a lot of work to get your name in a pretty colour.

This is the first round in about 8 that I haven't been a minister or GC and its lovely :-)

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 13:13   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the reason is that it helps to ensure ministers must be active - this is important as it allows the galaxy to more easily exile people.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 13:16   #5
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I appreciate that, but isnt that what the GC vote is for?

Currently we have gals that want to try and dig themsevles out of the pit they have been forced to deal with and yet cannot get anywhere as there is no ability to set up a command structure. These players won't pay for a game that often they haven't had a true opportunity to give a real go.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 17:44   #6
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
the reason is that it helps to ensure ministers must be active - this is important as it allows the galaxy to more easily exile people.

There is only 2 other active paid players in my gal, so its actually impossible for me to exile people.

I really dont see any downside what so ever about allowing unpaid planets to be a minister.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 17:55   #7
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
There is only 2 other active paid players in my gal, so its actually impossible for me to exile people.

I really dont see any downside what so ever about allowing unpaid planets to be a minister.

i think Kal means that PaTeam / Jolt looks at free planets as being a waste of space which should either upgrade or leave. From what i understood in pm's with Kal, Jolt is doing everything they can to prevent options that might prove to keep 1 or 2 freebies from upgrading even if it might be good for the future of the game (note this is not what Kal literally said, but was a conclusion i drew after we had spoken about some suggestions).. And apparently they fear they might lose some paying customers when they allow freebies to become ministers / GC's.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 20:56   #8
Fyodor
Behe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
And apparently they fear they might lose some paying customers when they allow freebies to become ministers / GC's.
Im not questioning you, but I dont understand the logic of this.

Why would being a minister be such a positive that somone would not pay to play?

Imo, I think that being a minister would get a new player more involved in the game and make them want to pay.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 21:44   #9
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

that is also what i believe, the most important thing is to get new players / freebies involved and keep them interested in the game. But like i said, Jolt seems to think any thing that could be used as a reason to pay (becoming minister / GC is apparently such a thing aswell) is a thing to keep as paid option only. Because the reasoning that you need a paid planet to get a active GC / minister is utter BS, as i am sure any player is capable of deciding whether their GC or minister is active or not.

On a sidenote, something that also was mentioned in another thread:

I've been in enough freebie gals in my history of playing, and the interesting thing of them not being able to choose a GC or minister, is that they can't use the gal fund either. However, all those gals do have some form of donation flow to the fund, which basicly means they throw away their resources as they can never use it because there is no MoD to allow trading.
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 22:25   #10
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
there is absolutely no connection. if the GC feels his misters aren't active he can change them AT ANY TIME. so this is only restricting his choice, not helping him in the slightest way.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 00:28   #11
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
there is absolutely no connection. if the GC feels his misters aren't active he can change them AT ANY TIME. so this is only restricting his choice, not helping him in the slightest way.
Yes, very true.
There's not even any point in making GC's have to be paid, if the galaxy finds him inactive they appoint a new one.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 07:41   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Yes, very true.
There's not even any point in making GC's have to be paid, if the galaxy finds him inactive they appoint a new one.
Eventually...
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 10:42   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
i think Kal means that PaTeam / Jolt looks at free planets as being a waste of space which should either upgrade or leave. From what i understood in pm's with Kal, Jolt is doing everything they can to prevent options that might prove to keep 1 or 2 freebies from upgrading even if it might be good for the future of the game (note this is not what Kal literally said, but was a conclusion i drew after we had spoken about some suggestions).. And apparently they fear they might lose some paying customers when they allow freebies to become ministers / GC's.
in previous rounds only a small number of free planets were ministers, but ministers is one of thoose features that largly does nothing (other than exile) but for some reaosn people want to have hence, it creates a reason to upgrade without altering the game that much. Also if you read the various galaxy threads i believe people actually wanted this restriction with the requirement that all ministers must vote. The only time this causes a problem is in a minoirty of galaxies that were created due to selfish players self exiling constantly.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 13 Aug 2005, 16:25   #14
Fyodor
Behe

So this will not be changed?
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 19:19   #15
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
in previous rounds only a small number of free planets were ministers, but ministers is one of thoose features that largly does nothing (other than exile) but for some reaosn people want to have hence, it creates a reason to upgrade without altering the game that much. Also if you read the various galaxy threads i believe people actually wanted this restriction with the requirement that all ministers must vote. The only time this causes a problem is in a minoirty of galaxies that were created due to selfish players self exiling constantly.
In previous rounds, the community voted this way because it wasn't especially a problem. The exile system has changed from before (good thing) and now the limitations on free accounts need changing as well - a basic knock-on effect. At the moment you're changing portions of the game (like exiling) with no consideration for the other areas of the game that are inextricably linked. This is why Fyodor has had to come and make this thread to explain the problem.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 20:00   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

both things were changes for this round...

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 13 Aug 2005, 20:47   #17
Fyodor
Behe

Kal, what it comes down to is this:

Im in a very crappy gal, but im staying and trying to help the noobs and make a go of it. At this moment I have 2 ministers as most everyone else has been exiled in and is an unpaid account. We have 8 semi actives but most are unpaid.

Under the current system Our gal cannot exile the inactives. Thus leading to an even crappyier gal and almost guarenteeing that the unpaid accounts Planetarion expierience wont be a good one. Which then leads them to not paying and never coming back.

This thread is an attempt to pay attention to the little things in this game that can be tweaked at no expense to the game dynamically or fiscally, but can benefit both.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 21:17   #18
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

In my eyes to be a minister is to show you have some form of dedication to things - how can you be dedicated if your not willing to pay?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 21:21   #19
Fyodor
Behe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
In my eyes to be a minister is to show you have some form of dedication to things - how can you be dedicated if your not willing to pay?

I think the opposite, if you are willing to be a minister, then there is a chance you will be more active and hopefully get hooked by this addiction called PA.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 22:57   #20
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

but to be a minister, from a neutral stand point, you have to put time and effort in. Once you hit the upgrade barrier then you'll want to put things into the game (ie money) and pay for an account
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 00:32   #21
Fyodor
Behe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
but to be a minister, from a neutral stand point, you have to put time and effort in. Once you hit the upgrade barrier then you'll want to put things into the game (ie money) and pay for an account

You really dont have to put effort in. Ministers are primarily in existance to vote on exiles.

MOW: usless as gals hardly attack together anymore.

MOD: The most inportant minister imo and the only one other than the gc that is truly needed in a gal

MOC: What do they do exactly?

So lets go back to exiles. There are quite a few gals in the universe who cant pick 3 ministers. So how does anyone active exile inactives.

Allowing free planets to be ministers gives noobs a chance to see a little political side of PA and doesnt harm a thing else wise.
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 10:21   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

how many plantes in your galaxy?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 14 Aug 2005, 11:08   #23
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

On a lighter note I would not pay for an account if i was in a galaxy full off other ppl who arent paid just for me to be the main target of the gal.
If I was a n00b and then paid I would probs self exile straight out of this unpaid galaxy.
So yeah freebies should be allowed to be ministers to at least change the pic and gal name and open the fund otherwise any paid will just up and out.

edit: Like an active gal is gonna have a free planet as a minister anyways.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.

Last edited by noah02; 14 Aug 2005 at 11:13.
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 11:34   #24
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyodor
MOW: usless as gals hardly attack together anymore.

MOD: The most inportant minister imo and the only one other than the gc that is truly needed in a gal

MOC: What do they do exactly?
MoW - MoW's can be used (in my experience) to help newbies in on alliance attacks. I personally have done this

MoD - As you said, most important person other than GC

MoC - Communicates with Gal and other Gals in the cluster
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 16:09   #25
Fyodor
Behe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
how many plantes in your galaxy?

16 atm
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 14:13   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?p=2923823 <-- if things were to change to my suggestion in that thread then it would be pointless for free planets to be allowed to be minsters would it not?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 22 Aug 2005, 14:42   #27
Wandows
[Vision]

Re: [Discuss] Unpaid planets cant be ministers

i think both of those items are completely seperate. Improving the galaxy coorperation (as is being discussed in that other thread) is ofcourse a step in the good direction, but you can't guarantee any galaxy will have paid planets to help it grow and organize. And just assuming it won't help any of those gals once they get in a situation where they can't elect GC / ministers.

I think regardless the solution that might come out of the discussion in the other thread, free planets should be able to become GC or minister. Like some ppl said before, how can a change like this be in any way bad for the game, worst case it helps galaxies that have no paid planets (which is obviously a bad thing ).
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 14:48   #28
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
i think both of those items are completely seperate. Improving the galaxy coorperation (as is being discussed in that other thread) is ofcourse a step in the good direction, but you can't guarantee any galaxy will have paid planets to help it grow and organize. And just assuming it won't help any of those gals once they get in a situation where they can't elect GC / ministers.

I think regardless the solution that might come out of the discussion in the other thread, free planets should be able to become GC or minister. Like some ppl said before, how can a change like this be in any way bad for the game, worst case it helps galaxies that have no paid planets (which is obviously a bad thing ).
Kal wants to make every galaxy have a minimum number of paid planets next round. If you have too few paid planets in your galaxy then you are unable to exile. I personally don't like the idea but what he's saying makes more sense when you take this into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?p=2923823 <-- if things were to change to my suggestion in that thread then it would be pointless for free planets to be allowed to be minsters would it not?
I fail to see why. I like your idea about not letting free planets self exile but I don't see why this should mean that they are not allowed to be ministers.

The only reason I can think of for not letting free planets be ministers is to act as an incentive to upgrade. I don't think this is a good reason though since if anything being a minister will encourage you to upgrade.
Unread 22 Aug 2005, 17:22   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

ok i give in, i'll try to make free planets allowed to be ministers again for next round

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread