User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 27 Oct 2002, 23:23   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Oh looky I've got IE problems too...

Every time I open a new IE window it takes around 10 seconds to appear - this is especially annoying when opening things that "pop up" new windows since the parent window jams during this time.

While the hang is happening, everything else runs fine, there is no abnormal CPU usage (in fact the IE process is listed at 0% CPU usage) and no harddrive activity is caused by it.

I think it's probably some crappy adware that's got installed and fked up - IE is probably trying to communicate with it then giving up after the 10 seconds. Adaware doesn't help before anyone asks.

I'm oh so close to putting netscape on, considering thats what I use in linux anyway so I may as well have the same thing on both platforms.

Any ideas?

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:02   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
My rule for this is if you can't find the cause, re-install the software, in this case, IE.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:22   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
How do you suggest I do that?
I've tried an XP repair install but it did nothing - I just wasted 30 minutes of my time.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:34   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I have no idea about XP, I use Win98 and just re-install IE5 with a computer magazine cover disk, then I d/l IE5.5 from the M$ site.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 10:14   #5
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Mozilla is your God.

The only thing I've had that this resembles (bar Win98 going senile) is OE waiting to start MSN Messenger before it starts. MSN Messenger wasn't going anywhere because I'd disabled it. Have you done something like that?

And did you change anything immediately prior to this happening?
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 11:57   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
Mozilla is your God.

The only thing I've had that this resembles (bar Win98 going senile) is OE waiting to start MSN Messenger before it starts. MSN Messenger wasn't going anywhere because I'd disabled it. Have you done something like that?

And did you change anything immediately prior to this happening?
Mis you are my god - this could be why outlook takes over 30 seconds to start \o/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 12:18   #7
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MT

Mis you are my god - this could be why outlook takes over 30 seconds to start \o/
iirc there are two ways of disabling messenger, one causes Outlook Express and presumably Outlook (but not IE in my experience) to wait forever before they start, and the other is more thorough and eradicates the problem. I don't know what the fix is though, Google might |o/
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 12:19   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Mis - no and no.

I've got netscape on now, I gave up.