User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 29 Oct 2002, 02:12   #1
mayhem

Cable modem connection problems

My cable modem has been really wierd recently. Here is the setup, to start with:

Blueyonder broadband connection to a motorola surfboard SB4200 cable modem.
Netgear RP114 router w/ 4port switch
then 3 computers connected directly to that, and another 3 via a hub.

This setup worked fine to start with, for a couple of weeks, then we started experiencing temporary losses of connectivity, which have increased in frequency. Also, CS, which started fine, with nice low pings has now become totally unplayable, with pings averaging around 600ms.

The strange part is, that Kazaa, msn messanger and irc work all the time.

I have the latest firmware for the router.

====================================

i thought it might be a DNS problem, but i dont think so anymore as that would not affect the CS ping, and also when i put in a numeric address, instead of something like www.google.com, it still doesnt work.

There is definitel no problem on the LAN side of the router, the latency there is always 1ms.

Any help anyone can shed on this will be gladly received.

KV

KoN Ni!
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 09:26   #2
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know how to help but that sounds like a problem my m8 is having. he only has one pc on it though. he cant play games online as the ping is huge but he uses kazaa all the time at very good transfer rates etc. hes on blueyonder
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 10:45   #3
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
How hard is it to find the Tech Support forum?

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 12:43   #4
mogrika

*taps temple*
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 12:48   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The Ping issue seems to be something effecting Blueyonder alot (and to a lesser extent NTL). Alot of people on other forums are putting it down to the take up rate for CM's from both companies which are putting the UBR's under too much strain. I know for a fact NTL have been systematically updating all the UBR's since their debt restructure was agrees and opened up new captital for the company but with Telewest only just starting their discusions on doing the same perhaps they havent been able to do this hence why the problem seems to be worse on BY
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 14:14   #6
mayhem

What does UBR and CM stand for?

and SnaarffiE, where abouts in the UK does ur m8 live?

Cheers.
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 14:26   #7
Cocaine

Re: Cable modem connection problems

Quote:
Originally posted by mayhem
The strange part is, that Kazaa, msn messanger and irc work all the time.
Maybe your ping problem is because of Kazaa?
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 14:28   #8
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
The Ping issue seems to be something effecting Blueyonder alot (and to a lesser extent NTL). Alot of people on other forums are putting it down to the take up rate for CM's from both companies which are putting the UBR's under too much strain. I know for a fact NTL have been systematically updating all the UBR's since their debt restructure was agrees and opened up new captital for the company but with Telewest only just starting their discusions on doing the same perhaps they havent been able to do this hence why the problem seems to be worse on BY
NTL dont have a ping problem in my area. There were 5 of us playing CS this weekend with a ping of 50average on 512k. (Although unrealted my cabletv box seems to crash every couple of days :/ )
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 10:30   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
(Although unrealted my cabletv box seems to crash every couple of days :/ )
Those PACE decoder boxes are naff

Last edited by CjC; 31 Oct 2002 at 11:03.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 11:31   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by mayhem
What does UBR and CM stand for?

and SnaarffiE, where abouts in the UK does ur m8 live?

Cheers.
CM = Cable Modem
UBR = Universal Broadband Router
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 11:35   #11
wakey
Hamster

Quote:

NTL dont have a ping problem in my area. There were 5 of us playing CS this weekend with a ping of 50average on 512k. (Although unrealted my cabletv box seems to crash every couple of days :/ )
Thats because they have upgraded most of the areas now. Pings in almost every francise were slowly climbing due to the overloading of the UBR's and the Lack of cash to upgrade them but its been a while since there restructure was agreed which gave them access to some more cash to make the upgrades. TW have only just decided to take the same steps so it hasnt yet been done hence why their networks havent been sorted
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 14:57   #12
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
me mate lives in lancashire
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 21:35   #13
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
news-text.blueyonder.co.uk

blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed

it has been resolved for the most part.
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 02:27   #14
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Re: Re: Cable modem connection problems

Quote:

Maybe your ping problem is because of Kazaa?
Check to see if KaZaA is uploading anything. Also check to see if you've got any nasty worms/virii on any of the machines. If you've got one of those worms which constantly send email out to everyone in your address list.

The constant uploading will simply kill your ping unless it is throttled.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 13:23   #15
wakey
Hamster

You better get prepared for having no connection, no tv and no phone very soon. Telewests have just had a creditor that they owe 10.5million to file a petition to wind up Telewest. All you Blueyonders better hope the case gets settled or thrown out
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 17:24   #16
mayhem

Cheers all

Kazaa wasnt the problem, the issue still occured when kazaa was killed, however bizarrely enough, setting a couple of DNS servers has meant that i have not had any further problems with explorer pages, whether due to that or something at telewest's end i do not know. The ping in CS has also improved dramatically, although it is still occasionally a bit odd. Now just gotta get the girls i live with to go for the 1Mb service