User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:21   #101
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reporting abusive reps

thats fine, there's nothing like a good discusion. However, the discusion started off fairly well but i guess people have got more and more annoyed by it for whtever them reason. Problem i've found is that since giving my oppinion here i've recived more neg rep then i've ever seen.... for merely stateing my point of view, cementing my cause for concern (and others)

"I" lowered the tone? i think not.but im fed up of this, really am.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:23   #102
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Now thats a proper post in a proper tone. Have to say your "He started it" was a bit poor and you haven't justified your remark to my remark for point 2 but it is a start to a better thread again. Have a cookie
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:26   #103
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
its not even a headache for pateam, its a complete non-issue, the fate of which was decided some time ago.
whining about it now is just a pointless waste of time
I havent whined about it, I have raised various different issues about this situation. And also talked to biffy who is looking into the situation.

Again, people, this is a game where we want to include people. Not EXCLUDE people. Hell, I even get negreps for my typing, well, sadly, i am not born english, so I sometimes write things incorrectly.

Nadar told me a story about how he got negrepped for mentioning that he liked the wrong cheese.

How are stuff like that gonna improve the quality of Nadar's posts?

I dont really see any real reason for having neg or pos reps.

If someone makes bad posts, the comments they get in the forums usually make good comments themselves.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:27   #104
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
thats fine, there's nothing like a good discusion. However, the discusion started off fairly well but i guess people have got more and more annoyed by it for whtever them reason. Problem i've found is that since giving my oppinion here i've recived more neg rep then i've ever seen.... for merely stateing my point of view, cementing my cause for concern (and others)

"I" lowered the tone? i think not.but im fed up of this, really am.
I havent neg repped you, and you did lower the tone with this comment

Quote:
shite in your eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Mayhem
Now thats a proper post in a proper tone. Have to say your "He started it" was a bit poor and you haven't justified your remark to my remark for point 2 but it is a start to a better thread again. Have a cookie
Maybe it was a poor exscuse but it was true, there was no need for it, it was completly unjustified as a comment. To point 2 there isnt much I can say, I could lie and say appco didnt say that but he did, i read it and you read it. Thanks for the cookie.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:31   #105
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

I was refering to your "its been decided and decussion is over" post. sorry if I didnt make this clear
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:32   #106
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

[quote=pig]I havent neg repped you, and you did lower the tone with this comment[quote]

and with that comment was i not telling the truth? That the post was shite in your eyes?

Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:33   #107
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
I was refering to your "its been decided and decussion is over" post. sorry if I didnt make this clear
The discussion is over imo, and as who ever made this thread said earlier, "I hope this thread gets deleted" there are always going to be complaints about rep. However like the galaxy exile complaints, those who feel gripes in the system are going to speak up. Thoese who are satisfied arent going to say anything at all.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:35   #108
pig
1up on you

[quote=Razgriz][quote=pig]I havent neg repped you, and you did lower the tone with this comment
Quote:

and with that comment was i not telling the truth? That the post was shite in your eyes?
? Seriously please just stop. Lets get this back from the bickering to the discussion. Leave it.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 15:13   #109
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
Keep going pal, your just solidifingmy point even more... oh i'm sorry fot any spelling or grammer mistakes... is anyone going to bad rep me for it? Well i'm so sorry but i'm drunk.... dose being drunk mean i need some bad rep too? as well as having a ponit of view that some big green blob dude disagrees with?

The power that a person has with 20 green blobs to a person with one red is ridiculous. Thats just one problem i'm having with the system, everyone else has pretty much said what i have felt. I'm seriously considering leaving coz of it (/me awaits all the; "boo-hoo so f**** off neg rep comments").

Tomkat... if you don't like it... why don't you piss off and/or ignore it? I'm sure it won't be that hard for you Mr I've Got So Many Rep Points Whatever I Say Must Be True I Must Give Bad Rep To Someone who Dosn't Agree With Me.

I'm still waiting for my; "Be A Good Poster Without Having An Individual Point Of View Lesson".

Some people need to step out of their little happy place and appreciate that others are not happy and try see the other side of the coin. Phil, i've already said i agree with you on some aspects... but not all, something needs to be done...

While we're here... why is it that people (some) are saying; " i don't give a s*** about rep" but oppose to have the system removed?

Hey look, i'm sooooo sorry for being different, for not coming out of a mould when i was born. I'm sooooo sorry for standing up for the things i believe in, but guess what? I've decided not to ignore this problem anymore because it bores me (ref; my lasy post). I'm going to stand up and fight with those who think the system is flawed.... Guess you'll be getting more headaches now eh Tomkat?
Please don't post drunk on the forums. Especially in a serious discussion.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 15:20   #110
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Razgriz, here is my advice to you. I've put it in step form. Just have a read:

1. Don't make any more posts about rep. It'll only lead into another futile discussion (there have been about a gazillion threads about rep, you aren't bringing up anything new).

2. Make some interesting posts on various boards (see point 3).

3. Take a little venture into GD. If you want to rise up and get some green blobs, that's the easiest place to do it (as long as you aren't shit, which I'm sure you wouldn't be if we just got off this godawful topic of rep)

4. Stop this "I'm unique" angle you're trying. It's a little silly. It's implying that we're all the same, just because we think rep is a good idea.

See, the thing is, you only have 98 posts. Of course your rep will be low. It's unusual for people who stay in PD and AD to have more than about 3 green blobs when under 100 posts.

Stay around a while, post some decent stuff (which you seem more than capable of), and the rep will slowly increase. That's how it works.

Don't write it off just because you've had a few nasty incidents. There ARE some morons out there, granted. Just ignore their negreps. It's what we do. They're normally so moronic that their rep is low anyway, so doesn't affect your total.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 16:04   #111
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

The problem is Tomkat and all the others, that it's alot of PA players who doesnt want to register on the forums, or have had forum accounts but dont want to use the forums because all they get now is insults if they happen to end up in a discussion where there is no appearnt right - wrong situation. And people dont respect that the tolerance levels to some people is alot lower than others. The question is, should the rep system be about measurement of E-Penis, or should it be a way to communicate disagreements and help people making better posts if they are as shite as they are.

I prefer the latter. I have a pretty high tolerance level for insults, but I know that alot of people doesnt, and if they feel alienated from an important part of the game as the forums have turned out to be, maybe it is time to change that now.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 18:08   #112
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

See http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...61#post2989861
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 18:44   #113
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I have a pretty high tolerance level for insults
Coming from the thread creator :eek: :eek: To be honest, I can see this thread going on and on with no clear resolution in sight.

There will always be people wanting to get rid of the Reputation System. There will always people who want people to keep the Reputation System. There will always be people who want the Reputation System to changesomehow. People will whine, people will complain and people will bitchabout it but why not just accept that its in place at the moment and ifthe Powers That Be decide to shake things up then await that day (if itoccurs).

Now please, download common-sense.exe, stop whining at people having a go at you in private and join the real world. If you really don't like it goto #forums and PM a mod.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 18:53   #114
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Coming from the thread creator :eek: :eek: To be honest, I can see this thread going on and on with no clear resolution in sight.

There will always be people wanting to get rid of the Reputation System. There will always people who want people to keep the Reputation System. There will always be people who want the Reputation System to changesomehow. People will whine, people will complain and people will bitchabout it but why not just accept that its in place at the moment and ifthe Powers That Be decide to shake things up then await that day (if itoccurs).

Now please, download common-sense.exe, stop whining at people having a go at you in private and join the real world. If you really don't like it goto #forums and PM a mod.
Again, as i have clearly stated this isnt something that concerns me. It conserns people who dont want to use this forum because of the level of abuse here. And I know you still are cranky about TGV roiding you after you shipjumped. So please just shut up.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 18:59   #115
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Well obviously it does concern you because your replying the previous post I made personally (by implying that Im still "cranky" about TGV attempting to roid me.

What I am concerned about is arguements like this being held by non-admins. If a new player comes and looks on one of the "senior" forums such as the Help Desk and see's this arguement, they'll think sod this and go away.

True fact as it happened today in a work room on campus.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 19:02   #116
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
It conserns people who dont want to use this forum because of the level of abuse here.
Quote:
So please just shut up.

pot, kettle, black
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 19:11   #117
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Im assuming you are talking about 1up here, so I might as well talk about it. In 1up iirc we have 4 people on max rep. They are myself, phil, Sniborp and Zhil. Now if we take each user, I would say Zhil didnt get any rep from GD (purely because he doesnt post ther) I would say phils majority of rep didnt come from GD either, while active there he isnt exactly one of the major posters there. Sniborp I would say gained the majority of his rep from GD however im sure he had a chunk from AD.

Myself I have received a large amount of rep from GD (infact I would say 1000-2000 from GD, you must remember GD in general dont actually rep people. Infact they in the whole ignore the whole thing and see it merely as something which is a good way of commentating on a post) However I would argue that the majority of my rep comes from AD not GD. Its rare if i get rep on GD and when I do I like it, because it means im doing something correct.

Something I posted a few weeks ago

http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rep23mz.jpg

that was my rep then and as you can see most of my rep is from AD.

This is where your argument falls down, take away my GD rep and im positive I would still have more rep than most purely because of the amount I used to post on AD.

I seriously think that if you look at AD people arent scared about 1up bashing. In fact 1up is the most talked alliance on AD. The fact that 1up happens to have four "big hitters" has nothing to do about it. People arent scared about posting anti 1up sentiments just because of the rep.

I would also like to add that because I post more, and am infact more involved on the forums is that why I should be penalised? In fact I would like to think the opposite, those who post alot in the forums get there rep because no matter how much you disagree, they make good posts. I get my fair share of negrep, last week I had a page of it from AD. I didnt cry, just made me smile and reasses the way I post.

When you post you know if you will get pos/neg repped. What you do because of that is your choice. If you let rep wholy decide if you post or not is your choice. Your stupid if you do. Rather you should allow rep to help you post better. IF you are getting alot of negreps for posts about rep then stop posting about rep? Is it that hard to realise?
(This could have been a longer post, but the forums were down and I had to leave)

<3 for the mention pig
Originally I was on a few red blobs, deservedly so in many cases. But now I have 5k rep points, and although often neg repped, I ignore it, because lets face it, who are you going to call?

It is true that more recently I get the majority of my rep from GD, partially since AD got boring. However I have gotten significant rep from PD for some of the theads I've started, but enough e-boasting.

I'd discuss a few of those points you made, such as the link you gave, 1-X would probably equal the contribution of everyone else but quality/quantity etc.

Rc - Alliances have nothing to do with rep as pig has demonstrated.

Razgriz - Borderline trolling in some posts, I have to ask you, you seem intent that since people don't take it seriously, then whats the point. Well jokes (on the whole) aren't taken seriously, should we get rid of them from the forum?

Btw. Why exactly is it a bad thing to get pos rep on GD. It's not like you wont get neg repped for bad posting, possibly more so?
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 19:13   #118
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^

pot, kettle, black
The difference was, I had the guts to do it public.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 20:23   #119
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Razgriz - Borderline trolling in some posts, I have to ask you, you seem intent that since people don't take it seriously, then whats the point. Well jokes (on the whole) aren't taken seriously, should we get rid of them from the forum?
I'm done with discusing rep, i'm tired and bored of it. If something was going to be done about it, it would have been done already. I'm not 100% happy with it, but i've accepted it. All i'll say now is that i tried; i felt something was wrong and i stood up for myself (and others). I've said some thing i shouldn't have maybe even taking things a bit too personally. But that's just me...

It seems the only result this topic is having now is people becoming more fustrated on each side. I'm sure we've got bigger fish to fry, this discusion is nothing more than a vicious circle now and it will just get worse.

Can we not agree to dissagree and leave it be?

Unread 4 Feb 2006, 05:14   #120
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Rightio, i did clean up the thread alot. Deleting posts is fun! i should do it more often! . If anyone thinks that their point of view has been deleted unfairly, please raise this with me in pm - however, remember that the whole point of this thread was the reporting of abusive rep comments, and the implications of said idea. I've let the discussion wander a bit, however references to hitler are obviously totally inappropriate in such a discussion.

I've re-opened the thread now that i have cleaned up all (most) of the trash. If people insist on continuing off-topic discussion, i will be irked.

So, enough flaming and trolling. Thankyou.

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 4 Feb 2006 at 07:31.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2006, 07:37   #121
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
What about GD, AD, Roleplaying?
Why would forum reputation have an impact on what is being said in those forums? I must profess my ignorance of what goes on in Roleplaying, but in AD presumably its the actions of the alliances in-game and/or the rank of the the poster (HC/lemming etc) that have more impact than on how many green blobs a poster may or may not have i would imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
That makes no sense.
How come? If you refer to my earlier post (this one), why would restricting rep to the PD/Suggestions/Strategy forums make no sense?
Unread 4 Feb 2006, 10:32   #122
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
How come? If you refer to my earlier post (this one), why would restricting rep to the PD/Suggestions/Strategy forums make no sense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
This is the suggestion that i like the most - since pretty much the start, forum rep has been totally pointless for GD users (at least) as their high volume of posts and so on results in everyone having 11 green blobs next to their name after a week or two. there have been quite a few threads started on that issue (if anyone wants links let me know), and are usually accompanied by a 'remove rep' type suggestion/request/demand.
This isn't true. A lot of the GD regulars got loads of red. As did Chika when he tried to post on GD.
Quote:
Personally, i think the whole reputation system is much better suited to the PD/Suggestions/Strategy section of these forums than for anywhere else - it allows positive reinforcement, general comments, permits people to neg rep those who dont use the forum search tools when they know they should etc etc. Also, the PD et al section seems to have a much friendlier and more tolerant group of people posting there - reducing the need for more harsh measures.
You seem to assume that people won't go to PD/Suggestions/Strategy to take out their repping needs from other forums.

'I can't negrep you on that other thread, but you ****ing suck asshole.'

Quote:
THe problem is, afaik (JJ will be able to clarify), i dont think rep can be limited to just a couple of sections of the forum (PD et al), whilst not elsewhere. Also, if forum rep is displayed everywhere, posters who frequent both PD and GD like Furbeh will have lots of green (or red ) blobs next to their name, and other GD posters would want to have them too, thus trolling forums that they wouldnt otherwise see a need to, and thus creating more work for the mods. Now, as a Strategy moderator, its usually so quiet that deleting trollers in there is actually a highlight, but i imagine on PD and Suggestions it would prove to be a major headache. Thus: rep would have to be limited in receiving and viewing to only a couple of forums, both of which are uncertain (though afaik not able) to do.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents.
Your suggestion, like Smudge's, makes no sense. Why is it bad to have rep on forums like AD and GD? Because people get disproportionate amounts to what can be had on Strategy?

Or is it because you think AD users are more likely negrep because they disagree? (Here's a hint, they aren't.)
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2006, 07:31   #123
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
You seem to assume that people won't go to PD/Suggestions/Strategy to take out their repping needs from other forums.

'I can't negrep you on that other thread, but you ****ing suck asshole.'
I wouldnt be suprised if they did - but i did mention that in the second quotation block where i said that it should only be displayed (and sent/received) on certain forums and not others. It wont stop a GD poster from using the forum search to find if a person has made a post in Strategy, and then pos/neg rep that post - however without rep showing on GD and ofc the extra effort to go to those lengths, then going to those lengths in order to rep someone is fine imo as i dont imagine all that many people would go to such lengths.

Quote:
Your suggestion, like Smudge's, makes no sense. Why is it bad to have rep on forums like AD and GD? Because people get disproportionate amounts to what can be had on Strategy?

Or is it because you think AD users are more likely negrep because they disagree? (Here's a hint, they aren't.)
Its definately not the latter. I just think that GD (in particular) skews the system to the extent where it can become meaningless - ie, frequent posters of GD will tend to have a large number of green blobs, where it might take three months to get another blob from posting on Strategy. Thus, forum rep on GD is more or less useless, as (almost) everyone is in the deep green.

So, if a feature is useless, then it often makes sense to remove it - however removing rep would be bad for the 'in-game' forums where it still is used frequently and is useful. So instead of removing the reputation system from all boards, just leave it for PD/Strategy/AD/Suggestions where it is still handy.

Having said all that, i do still prefer having the rep system in place as it allows for amusing comments that wouldnt normally be worthy of a PM. Abusive rep messages need only be brought to the attention of a moderator who will know how to sort it out.

So, in summary; if people are sick of rep threads, rep wars and the like, then remove the reputation system except in the 'in-game' forums, else leave it be.

Unread 5 Feb 2006, 11:29   #124
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Again, I'd like to ask what is so wrong about posting on GD. It may take 3 months to get a blob in Strategy, but you post much more often in GD, and it does depend on what blop it is.

Like in any other forum you get neg repped if you are shit and pos repped if you do something excellent.

Plus, most people in GD don't rep anymore unless its special, since what needs to be said probably has a dozen times.
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 17:20   #125
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think there should be an option that you should be able to report reputation comments if they are abusive.

This could work the same way as it is if we report abusive posts. Cept for one difference. You will not know who is the person abusing you, but you could still report it. If the moderators find the rep message abusive it should be removed along with the reppoints lost (or given) and the person who did it should lose the privilige of using the reputation system for a while.

This way we weed out the abusive messages that shouldnt really be in there.

Im sure if that were the case you would be reported a lot if i looked at my rep atm.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote