User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk

Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:55   #51
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
Werent you just arguing that they were for quality??
Its no coincidence that the posters who have been around the longest tend to post the best quality of posts on the forums

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 4 Feb 2006 at 05:26.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:56   #52
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Those who have been around longest have higher numbers of rep points, and deservedly so for sticking about and helping maintain the forums community
Actually no, it's those who post more, and it's only rep-altering power that they have lots of, not actual rep points.

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 4 Feb 2006 at 05:26.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:58   #53
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Actually no, it's those who post more, and it's only rep-altering power that they have lots of, not actual rep points.
i sit corrected though the point remains.
those who actively work in the community get a greater reward for doing so
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:29   #54
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think it's terrible, and would make the rep system just one big circle-jerk.

As annoying as it is, some posters post a lot of shit, and they get neg repped for it. Some posters are average, and their rep balances around 0. Some posters are good, and have up to 1500 pos rep points. Some posters are awesome, and have a load more (e.g. JBG).

Natural selection, survival of the fittest, blah blah blah I've run out of things to say really.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:34   #55
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Well, the arguments about free speech in reps wich was the argument I got from JBG wich in my opinion is just alot of crap because it really isnt about free speech, its about allowing people to insult others that may decide that instead of using the forums as it should be intended they stay away from it, and some even might stay away from the game.

What impression do you think a player get when he gets neg repped with:

OMG, YOU *****, GO AN DIE
or

You should be playing solitaire you wanker

etc etc

(no, none of them are my negreps)

Cant the mods see that this questions the useage of negreps at a whole?

When people can keep their negreps to such a low level like that I tend to feel that the rep system isnt really a good option.

Maybe it could be user optional to choose to get reps from their posts.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:37   #56
Phil^
Insomniac

with neg reps like that you have two choices. ignore them ( which is really what you should do ) or report them if you think they warrant it.
removal or change of the rep system is not required.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:45   #57
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Maybe it could be user optional to choose to get reps from their posts.
Now that sounds good. Those that dont care, get positive or who just ignore the whole system can have it, those of us who don't like recieving unwarrented insults can choose to not have it. Seems to please both sides.

Phil - we get that you dont understand our side of the arguement. No need to keep showing that by been arogant or Bullying reason 1, " To treat in an overbearing manner".
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:56   #58
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Well, the arguments about free speech in reps wich was the argument I got from JBG wich in my opinion is just alot of crap because it really isnt about free speech, its about allowing people to insult others that may decide that instead of using the forums as it should be intended they stay away from it, and some even might stay away from the game.
Freedom of speech has always been about insulting people dude, that's why it's important. If everyone agreed that what other people said was great then there'd be no real concern over anyone rights of expression. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was trying to get JJ to implement a system whereby users don't have/give rep until they've made 50 posts. Unfortunately like all of us he has time constraints and frankly I have no clue how much changing of the database is required for this to work.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 16:59   #59
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

If it was about freedom of speech, then the reps should be public.

People do get fines for insults and namecalling. What freedom of speech is there to defend when the negreps are something that is left into a little box where only the reciver could defend.

You dont allow advertisement for other games on the forum, and advertising is also freedom of speech.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 17:07   #60
JonnyBGood
Banned

We allow freedom of speech in reputations unless it conflicts with the censor. And people getting fined for insulting others is not indicative of a real respect for freedom of speech. The forums are Jolt's property and are here for the benefit of the game. You have a valid point where something is going against the interests of the game, and we're trying to correct it. The other problems I think minor ones, and the solutions so far proposed to them would do more harm, to the forums and the game, than good.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 17:24   #61
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
We allow freedom of speech in reputations unless it conflicts with the censor. And people getting fined for insulting others is not indicative of a real respect for freedom of speech. The forums are Jolt's property and are here for the benefit of the game. You have a valid point where something is going against the interests of the game, and we're trying to correct it. The other problems I think minor ones, and the solutions so far proposed to them would do more harm, to the forums and the game, than good.

Thanks for a promte reply, and I hope that all the admins/mods see that something needs to be done about this.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 18:06   #62
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If people are getting neg reps that are abusive, then report them damnit. The super-mods don't have time to look through everyone's rep to check it for you. Treat rep as you would a private message, and report it if it is abusive. I really can't emphasise this enough.

It's a few people ruining the rep system for the many, but it's only when you guys report them that we can do anything about it. We'll ban them or remove their ability to rep if we think it's warranted. Just give us the evidence instead of this debacle.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 18:14   #63
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Phil^ Its not a personal issue. you might have notice that i have more green dots then red dots, in fact few people with as little posts as i do have as many green dots as i do, thats even with trandom people neg repping me for being exilition. Your personal attack on me is therefor uncalled for and might i say a bit flamebaity

The reason why i'm against the reputation system is that it does not add anything usefull to the community. it does hurt the community tho, it increases paranoia, as we have seen with CM accusing furball when furball didnt give away any rep. it encourages fear to post negatively about alliances who have a lot of green dot people (which are acquired on GD not AD) because they might get red dots for it. The system is flawed by default. thats regardless of my personal situation

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 18:45   #64
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Really, whether the neg rep comments are directly abusive or not, alot of them indicate that the forum is swarmed with 12 year old twats with anger issues. Is this the sort of image the community wants to portray to newcomers? I cannot see that this is anything but hurtful to both the forums and the game. one nice example of this I got the other day is "you = poo for brains...".

Though I think I can survive the psychological anguish this has caused, it makes me rather sad that people actually have no better comments than a 5 year old would make (He did sign though, which was impressive in itself).
Some people are saying that the neg rep is for you to learn to make better posts..look down your neg rep list and see how many came with proper comments, and how many came with statements similar to the one above.. How on earth can those in any way be interpreted as helping people make better posts?
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 18:49   #65
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

I have to agree with Kaisto there.

Its not really helping anyone getting better at posting while writing stuff like that.

Its more to an annoyance and I am willing to bet that alot of people have both quit the forums and the game because of childish behaviour like that.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 19:27   #66
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
It seems you need to be in a special club to get good reputation on these forums. "Freedom Of Speech"?, i think not. How can it be when an individual is put down for typing down their point of veiw then being slated for it, in fear of ever posting something again.
Since when did these forums have "Freedom of Speech"? That's such a stupid phrase - most of the people who throw it around don't even understand what it means or the context it should be used in.

Also, a special club?

Well yes, I suppose so.

It's a very special club.

It's called the "don't make crappy posts" club*. It's great.

*Yes, posts whining about rep ARE crappy posts.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 19:41   #67
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
it encourages fear to post negatively about alliances who have a lot of green dot people (which are acquired on GD not AD) because they might get red dots for it. The system is flawed by default. thats regardless of my personal situation
Im assuming you are talking about 1up here, so I might as well talk about it. In 1up iirc we have 4 people on max rep. They are myself, phil, Sniborp and Zhil. Now if we take each user, I would say Zhil didnt get any rep from GD (purely because he doesnt post ther) I would say phils majority of rep didnt come from GD either, while active there he isnt exactly one of the major posters there. Sniborp I would say gained the majority of his rep from GD however im sure he had a chunk from AD.

Myself I have received a large amount of rep from GD (infact I would say 1000-2000 from GD, you must remember GD in general dont actually rep people. Infact they in the whole ignore the whole thing and see it merely as something which is a good way of commentating on a post) However I would argue that the majority of my rep comes from AD not GD. Its rare if i get rep on GD and when I do I like it, because it means im doing something correct.

Something I posted a few weeks ago

http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rep23mz.jpg

that was my rep then and as you can see most of my rep is from AD.

This is where your argument falls down, take away my GD rep and im positive I would still have more rep than most purely because of the amount I used to post on AD.

I seriously think that if you look at AD people arent scared about 1up bashing. In fact 1up is the most talked alliance on AD. The fact that 1up happens to have four "big hitters" has nothing to do about it. People arent scared about posting anti 1up sentiments just because of the rep.

I would also like to add that because I post more, and am infact more involved on the forums is that why I should be penalised? In fact I would like to think the opposite, those who post alot in the forums get there rep because no matter how much you disagree, they make good posts. I get my fair share of negrep, last week I had a page of it from AD. I didnt cry, just made me smile and reasses the way I post.

When you post you know if you will get pos/neg repped. What you do because of that is your choice. If you let rep wholy decide if you post or not is your choice. Your stupid if you do. Rather you should allow rep to help you post better. IF you are getting alot of negreps for posts about rep then stop posting about rep? Is it that hard to realise?
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 19:50   #68
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I have to agree with Kaisto there.

Its not really helping anyone getting better at posting while writing stuff like that.

Its more to an annoyance and I am willing to bet that alot of people have both quit the forums and the game because of childish behaviour like that.
funny thing is its not the big hitters of rep and people who have worked to get there rep who make the shit rep comments, rather its the minority of shit posters with alot of anger.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:26   #69
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
I guess you fail to see my point. But good luck continuing being arrogant and disregard something that you seem to be unable to comprehend Phil^
Nope, its you who fail to see my point of what you should do in such a case instead of whining "the system!!! the system must be changed because the almighty me demands it"

Quote:
Now that sounds good. Those that dont care, get positive or who just ignore the whole system can have it, those of us who don't like recieving unwarrented insults can choose to not have it. Seems to please both sides.

Phil - we get that you dont understand our side of the arguement. No need to keep showing that by been arogant or Bullying reason 1, " To treat in an overbearing manner".
Oh i understand your side of the argument perfectly, I just happen to think its rediculous.
Distinguish between ridicule of an idea, and ridicule of a person. clearly you are getting the two mixed up in the effort to 'win' for your viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
If people are getting neg reps that are abusive, then report them damnit. The super-mods don't have time to look through everyone's rep to check it for you. Treat rep as you would a private message, and report it if it is abusive. I really can't emphasise this enough.

It's a few people ruining the rep system for the many, but it's only when you guys report them that we can do anything about it. We'll ban them or remove their ability to rep if we think it's warranted. Just give us the evidence instead of this debacle.
this is absolutely what people should do, agreed 100%.
Its a pity that they cant see that its really this simple instead of wanting to change things for the worse.

Quote:
Phil^ Its not a personal issue. you might have notice that i have more green dots then red dots, in fact few people with as little posts as i do have as many green dots as i do, thats even with trandom people neg repping me for being exilition. Your personal attack on me is therefor uncalled for and might i say a bit flamebaity
Its not exactly a personal attack - if it was i would have been much MUCH more insulting about it
Its simply me, ridiculing the stance that you+others have taken and the mindset which has brought it about
Quote:
The reason why i'm against the reputation system is that it does not add anything usefull to the community. it does hurt the community tho, it increases paranoia, as we have seen with CM accusing furball when furball didnt give away any rep. it encourages fear to post negatively about alliances who have a lot of green dot people (which are acquired on GD not AD) because they might get red dots for it. The system is flawed by default. thats regardless of my personal situation
on the contrary it allows for newcomers to see at a glance who the better posters are, and for existing people to see how well recieved their posts and and strive to improve if they are doing poorly.
as for paranoia - Nah i dont think it makes people paranoid unless they consider reputation to be "serious business" - in which case they have bigger problems
fear of posting incase they get neg repped for being in the wrong alliance : Not if they make good posts instead of mindlessly trolling which others in your alliance have done and rightly gotten neg repped for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I would say phils majority of rep didnt come from GD either, while active there he isnt exactly one of the major posters there. Sniborp I would say gained the majority of his rep from GD however im sure he had a chunk from AD.
the bulk of mine probably comes from the technical problems thread, or pd/ad.
Again, his point falls down using me as an example there so it would be interesting to know who in particular hes on about
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:36   #70
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
funny thing is its not the big hitters of rep and people who have worked to get there rep who make the shit rep comments, rather its the minority of shit posters with alot of anger.

That could very well be true, however, these few are unfortunately rather active and eager to hit that neg rep button; thus managing to annoy a great number of people.

Now if the community actually wants new faces to show up on the forums and become active, contributing members, then it is clear that the conditions on the forum should not be so that they turn around in the door and leave because they feel they are being attacked for no real reason.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:47   #71
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Ok, time for the first rep related (personally rep related post) post of mine, I haven't read this thread since about post 40ish, mainly because I am drunk and cba, does this mean people can report blank rep? Rep without anything (constructive) behind it? As personally i fail to see how a blank rep point will help anyone become a better poster on these forums, whether it be a red, grey or green rep.. Without constructive criticism good or bad, rep means nothing. That is what seems to be the main sticking point to me, i can get 2 people rep me for the same post, the green rep may say something like 'This made me smirk' the red rep may have nothing, what does this tell me about this post? That some found it funny, and the neg rep? who knows? They may have found it offensive, not funny, a badly written post, poorly spelt.. I do not know, so how is that blank rep going to improve my posting upon these boards?
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:49   #72
Phil^
Insomniac

i dont see why not. if the persons made a habit of it then the mods can have a word with them
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 20:52   #73
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's no problem with blank neg reps, I get* them all the time.

* give
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 21:00   #74
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

I think what really contradicts itself when you argue about the rep system should stay, yet you claim that people shouldnt care about the reps they get.. Why even bother at all having one then.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 21:12   #75
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think what really contradicts itself when you argue about the rep system should stay, yet you claim that people shouldnt care about the reps they get.. Why even bother at all having one then.
It's a bit of fun. You shouldn't take it personally, but it's nice for people to give anonymous feedback on my posts. It's nice that people can pos rep with a "This was funny" comment without having to fag up the thread with lots of "lol" or "me too" posts.

There's no contradiction. Similarly, avatars aren't worth getting stressed about but I think people should be able to have them.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 21:45   #76
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's a bit of fun. You shouldn't take it personally, but it's nice for people to give anonymous feedback on my posts. It's nice that people can pos rep with a "This was funny" comment without having to fag up the thread with lots of "lol" or "me too" posts.

There's no contradiction. Similarly, avatars aren't worth getting stressed about but I think people should be able to have them.
I dont take it personally, as I have stated several times in this thread. However, I know alot of people that have told me that they dont feel like using the forums. I feel that PA should stop being so exclusive and try to understand that in order to survive we need to get people to get interested and to stay interested in the game.
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 23:19   #77
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

BTW how do you report reps anyway? :|

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 23:22   #78
Phil^
Insomniac

you go to #forums and prod one of the mods, or you send a forums pm to them
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 00:17   #79
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Im assuming you are talking about 1up here, so I might as well talk about it. In 1up iirc we have 4 people on max rep. They are myself, phil, Sniborp and Zhil. Now if we take each user, I would say Zhil didnt get any rep from GD (purely because he doesnt post ther) I would say phils majority of rep didnt come from GD either, while active there he isnt exactly one of the major posters there. Sniborp I would say gained the majority of his rep from GD however im sure he had a chunk from AD.

Myself I have received a large amount of rep from GD (infact I would say 1000-2000 from GD, you must remember GD in general dont actually rep people. Infact they in the whole ignore the whole thing and see it merely as something which is a good way of commentating on a post) However I would argue that the majority of my rep comes from AD not GD. Its rare if i get rep on GD and when I do I like it, because it means im doing something correct.

Something I posted a few weeks ago

http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rep23mz.jpg

that was my rep then and as you can see most of my rep is from AD.

This is where your argument falls down, take away my GD rep and im positive I would still have more rep than most purely because of the amount I used to post on AD.

I seriously think that if you look at AD people arent scared about 1up bashing. In fact 1up is the most talked alliance on AD. The fact that 1up happens to have four "big hitters" has nothing to do about it. People arent scared about posting anti 1up sentiments just because of the rep.

I would also like to add that because I post more, and am infact more involved on the forums is that why I should be penalised? In fact I would like to think the opposite, those who post alot in the forums get there rep because no matter how much you disagree, they make good posts. I get my fair share of negrep, last week I had a page of it from AD. I didnt cry, just made me smile and reasses the way I post.

When you post you know if you will get pos/neg repped. What you do because of that is your choice. If you let rep wholy decide if you post or not is your choice. Your stupid if you do. Rather you should allow rep to help you post better. IF you are getting alot of negreps for posts about rep then stop posting about rep? Is it that hard to realise?

Heh. Fun to see u post this cos i can use it as counter-argument. The thing pig is u are an old user and liked by the closed circles on this community. You fall on the same category of those admins above who keep saying "Hey dude, if you dont like you just do go to rep page" forgetting this feature was supposted to please the community not making them stop useing features in forums, ppl who feel that is better to make users stop using features on forums than making them stop gaining green blobs for just sayin "ok" on threads cos they are admin.
My point is: Check your screenshot and check mine. I posted on this same thread just supoorting the 1up meeting. You can read what i said in there. Check the difference on the rep:

http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zkhe.jpg

See the point?? Reps are given based on criteries different they were originally meant to. They wont teach ppl to post better. They only will benefit ego of some popular users and piss all the rest.

Funny thing on this thread is i read most users complaining about the rep system and admin/PA-Team/ex-PA-Team defending it.

That shows alot to who this forums belong to[/admins]. Not who it should belong [/community]

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 00:39   #80
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
Funny thing on this thread is i read most users complaining about the rep system and admin/PA-Team/ex-PA-Team defending it.

That shows alot to who this forums belong to[/admins]. Not who it should belong [/community]
Not really. It shows that when people start complaining only those in authority care enough to justify why the current system is in place.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 01:35   #81
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

If we did not care about this game or trying to get some fresh people in this community, we would not have raised the issue. We would have left
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 01:37   #82
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisto
If we did not care about this game or trying to get some fresh people in this community, we would not have raised the issue. We would have left
I'm not saying you don't care. I'm saying you're incorrect on this issue.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 01:44   #83
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
http://i1.tinypic.com/n2zkhe.jpg

See the point?? Reps are given based on criteries different they were originally meant to. They wont teach ppl to post better. They only will benefit ego of some popular users and piss all the rest.
Those reps really told you how to post better as the supporters have claimed they do.
Quote:

I noticed that to. A little odd in the slightest.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 01:48   #84
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Quote:
I have left because of this system before and if it is not removed I can't see me posting outside of F-crew recruitment threads in the near future, but I have a number of new and returning members saying it is alienating and causes them not to post, proving the point a little.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 02:11   #85
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Since when did these forums have "Freedom of Speech"? That's such a stupid phrase - most of the people who throw it around don't even understand what it means or the context it should be used in.

Also, a special club?

Well yes, I suppose so.

It's a very special club.

It's called the "don't make crappy posts" club*. It's great.

*Yes, posts whining about rep ARE crappy posts.
Keep going pal, your just solidifingmy point even more... oh i'm sorry fot any spelling or grammer mistakes... is anyone going to bad rep me for it? Well i'm so sorry but i'm drunk.... dose being drunk mean i need some bad rep too? as well as having a ponit of view that some big green blob dude disagrees with?

The power that a person has with 20 green blobs to a person with one red is ridiculous. Thats just one problem i'm having with the system, everyone else has pretty much said what i have felt. I'm seriously considering leaving coz of it (/me awaits all the; "boo-hoo so f**** off neg rep comments").

Tomkat... if you don't like it... why don't you piss off and/or ignore it? I'm sure it won't be that hard for you Mr I've Got So Many Rep Points Whatever I Say Must Be True I Must Give Bad Rep To Someone who Dosn't Agree With Me.

I'm still waiting for my; "Be A Good Poster Without Having An Individual Point Of View Lesson".

Some people need to step out of their little happy place and appreciate that others are not happy and try see the other side of the coin. Phil, i've already said i agree with you on some aspects... but not all, something needs to be done...

While we're here... why is it that people (some) are saying; " i don't give a s*** about rep" but oppose to have the system removed?

Hey look, i'm sooooo sorry for being different, for not coming out of a mould when i was born. I'm sooooo sorry for standing up for the things i believe in, but guess what? I've decided not to ignore this problem anymore because it bores me (ref; my lasy post). I'm going to stand up and fight with those who think the system is flawed.... Guess you'll be getting more headaches now eh Tomkat?
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 02:33   #86
pig
1up on you

Quote:
I have left because of this system before and if it is not removed I can't see me posting outside of F-crew recruitment threads in the near future, but I have a number of new and returning members saying it is alienating and causes them not to post, proving the point a little.
get them to post here then, atm all i see is fcrew hc complaining no one else
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 02:38   #87
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Quote:
I'm not saying you don't care. I'm saying you're incorrect on this issue.

The anonymous neg repping that has no point other than to make the angry, insecure people behind them feel good about themselves is imo a problem that needs to be adressed.
Alot of these posts, such as the examples listed in posts above, do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that the creation of rep was meant to do; nothing constructive anyway. Having random insulting comments thrown at you is not something most people appreciate.

There are several high ranking officers in various alliances that have posted in this thread that they have members and friends that will not contribute on the forums due to this happening. I do not see how the admins can NOT appreciate that this means something has gone wrong.

I do not say that rep should be removed, pos repping is a good way of complimenting people for well formulated posts and well thought through arguments; neg rep however, needs to be thought through again.

One possibility I can think of is to have neg rep become public, and that the neg repper has to sign it. If the neg reps are open to public scrutiny, then those (possibly only a handful) who make the pointless comments that are only intended to insult, would no longer be able to hide. Perhaps then, neg rep comments would actually drift towards doing what Phil claims it does; help people become better posters. (Yes, I do know this system would have its problems as well. i.e. neg repping wars. Moderators, TO ARMS!)
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 02:48   #88
pig
1up on you

Quote:
There are several high ranking officers in various alliances that have posted in this thread that they have members and friends that will not contribute on the forums due to this happening.)
which alliances are these? I see xVx, TGV and F-Crew and an alliance that no longer exists (exilition)...alliances that support it in this thread, on the other hand you have 1up, angels and forum regulars supporting it. If you wanted an epenis compettion and see who can get the most support im sure those in favour would get more.

Your argument is dumb.

Plain as. Plain as. Just because you get negrepped, you cry. You complain here and expect it to change. Thats why the game is going shit, because people whine and complain, whine some more, and when shit doesnt get changed they whine some more. The forums are seperate from the game, the game is the game, the forums are more than AD and PD, realise that please.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:05   #89
pig
1up on you

Quote:
So, in comparrison with this post you've just made... mine is "shitter"? Cooooo, obviously it's you that need to give me a "Be A Good Poster" lesson. I'm ready anytime you are, just don't be so arrogant. C'mon, tell me how to conform.
If you want to learn how to post, please pm JBG/Lokken/DM/Jakiri/Yahwe. Im sure they will give you some posters, failing that pm me. Im not being arrogant.

Yes your post worse, you took the discussion from a level or rep/decent posts to personal insults. As I said I reported your post, it has no place in this discussion. If you are so crap you need to result to insults, go to GD and insult me and GD there, then lets see how you get teared up.

TO the rest reading this, razgriz is the exact reason why the rep should be kept, he is shit, he has posted shit, and so he will b negrepped to shit. Incidentally I accidentally pos repped him. But the fact remains his posts add nothing to the discussion but mere flaming. This is why the rep works so well, it allows posters the chance to express there views and tell him hes being shit. He may be the big f-crew HC, I couldnt give a toss, hes being shit on these forums, he knows it, i know it. Sorry if I seem angry, but as soon as someone takes it to the personal level what is one supposed to do?
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:17   #90
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
which alliances are these? I see xVx, TGV and F-Crew and an alliance that no longer exists (exilition)...alliances that support it in this thread, on the other hand you have 1up, angels and forum regulars supporting it. If you wanted an epenis compettion and see who can get the most support im sure those in favour would get more.

Your argument is dumb.

Plain as. Plain as. Just because you get negrepped, you cry. You complain here and expect it to change. Thats why the game is going shit, because people whine and complain, whine some more, and when shit doesnt get changed they whine some more. The forums are seperate from the game, the game is the game, the forums are more than AD and PD, realise that please.

Sigh... of course someone had to get it all wrong. By refering to those people/alliances I was making the argument, NOT that more people have problems with it than not, but that a significant KNOWN minority does. This in itself is worrying, as it signifies that there might be more people who have been repulsed by the negative welcome, but who have not left any feedback on it. DO NOT drag alliances into this, I merely used those officers as examples of central people in the community who come into contact with alot of people. I could not care less which alliance has the most people with green dots, or how many alliances have one opinion or another.

Oh yes, btw, this is for god's sake not whining. This is what it is like having a debate on a raised issue! Just because someone finds a potential issue and wants to bring it into the light, does NOT mean that they are whining. This is another annoying and rather childish attitude that comes up rather frequently on these forums.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:22   #91
pig
1up on you

Quote:
snip
You made a good point

Quote:
NOT that more people have problems with it than not, but that a significant KNOWN minority does
This interest me and once again you have validated my argument. The minority have a problem with rep. Not the majority of forum users but the minority. Not the majority.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:27   #92
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

The key word is not minority pig, but SIGNIFICANT, followed by the word minority. it does not take the majority of a population to have a problem before something should be done. even if 49.9% of all the users had a problem, they would be a minority. Would it still be too little for you to realise that something in the system needs changing?
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:33   #93
pig
1up on you

Quote:
The key word is not minority pig, but SIGNIFICANT, followed by the word minority. it does not take the majority of a population to have a problem before something should be done. even if 49.9% of all the users had a problem, they would be a minority. Would it still be too little for you to realise that something in the system needs changing?
only a small group of forum regulars are posting here, what about GD, RP, AD...etc etc. Just because a few here are complaining here doesnt mean the rest of the forums complain. GD is part of the pa forums and is infact what makes these forums diverse and great go read GD when you have time im sure you will like it. There are regular posters elsewhere than just here.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:53   #94
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

What about making neg rep subject to the same rules of moderating as posts in a normal thread? Make it so that to be able to neg rep a certain post, you have to make a reply in that thread at the same time. If the content of the post was in the area of the examples further up in this thread, the moderator would intervene as he/she would in any thread where the discussion gets out of hand.

This would make it more likely that neg rep + following post would actually point out what the repper thinks was wrong with the post. And the poster could then learn from it if it was pointed out that he had made a genuine mistake/terrible post. neg repping wars could also quickly be prevented by the moderators closing down the thread when things got out of hand.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:53   #95
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If a thread about whining about rep was posted on AD, I'd delete it on sight. If people did it persistently, they'd be banned, because quite frankly it ruins the very fabric of my forum - whether it's justified on this forum is a matter for the mod of this forum, I have no wish to tread on his/her toes. I do it with good reason, because no one really wants to hear it.

If you care so much about what people think of you via the rep function on an internet forum, you need to take a reality check. It's a private function - sort it out personally, either by responding to that user in pm, or by improving your posting.

If it's anything against the forum rules, then pm a supermod to take action at his discretion. If he thinks it's not against the rules, then it probably wasn't. When something is blown out of all proportion and not taken in the context it was intended, it hardly is a good sign in getting a mod to do as you please.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 03:57   #96
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

To pig: i have my own reasons for bringing it up pig, most can been seen in previous replies in this thread, i'm not going to repeat myself. Am i bored? - No. Give PA team a headache? - i've been speaking to a member of the PA team for the last 2 hours or so... i'm sure he's got a headache lol. But what is the point in having a "Help Desk" and a "Support Team" if you can't use them? I hope not to cause a headache but i refuse to stand down from something i believe, for something that people here have said they have a problem with, for something that has the community divided where the thing myself and others are trying to stop is actually getting worse because we finally found a voice.

No one is forcing you to read this thread, so why come back if you don't like it?
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:02   #97
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
But what is the point in having a "Help Desk" and a "Support Team" if you can't use them?
hate to break it to you but this isnt the forums support or "come here to whine about things you dont like" section.
its primarily for those who are having issues with the game, such as cant log in and so on.

Personally, if i still had supermod i'd have moved this thread to GD - where it belongs.
Its a matter for Soverign ( the mod of this section ) to take whatever action he sees fit, but since lokken - another highly respected mod has already said what he would do to this thread you should really consider this thread as being on thin ice at best.
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:15   #98
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Likewise no one is forcing you to take notice of rep, its hardly noticeable. i still get people say to me now whats rep, where can i view it, and your telling me that new users of the forums know and are conscious about rep. Get a reality check please. As lok said, rep has been discussed. Theres nothing wrong with it. As you said the minority of the users on these forums dont like it, however that isnt the overwhelming majority. Please stop playing a broken record.

EOD
1) I was the first to mention alliances.

2) I raised this at CH and was told this was the thread for none mods to discuss it. That was only 30 hours ago so still open i believe.

3) pig, phil^ and Razgriz (OMG i included those on both sides and a fellow HC!) are all been adusive to each other. Can we lower this down to a calm discussion of the reasons for keeping, removing or altering this system.

4) The term majority and minority of forum users keeps been used. I would like to point out that this is not easy to tell as you seem to believe it is as users (we dont know how many) have (we do know some have) stopped using these forums because of this system. It is not possible to gage by the majority or minority of posters to this thread that like or dislike the system or to get a figure by running a vote on these forums as the users we are talking about are not using these forums, therefore they wont be posting on them.

5) Does this count as a good post as this is structured, on topic and well written?
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:15   #99
pig
1up on you

Because to every argument theres two sides. You and your friends are putting over one argument, myself and others are putting over the side of the other argument,
Unread 3 Feb 2006, 04:20   #100
pig
1up on you

Quote:
1) I was the first to mention alliances.
idd you were, a cookie for you.

Quote:
2) I raised this at CH and was told this was the thread for none mods to discuss it. That was only 30 hours ago so still open i believe.
So you were

Quote:
3) pig, phil^ and Razgriz (OMG i included those on both sides and a fellow HC!) are all been adusive to each other. Can we lower this down to a calm discussion of the reasons for keeping, removing or altering this system.
Agreed we have all been agressive to each other, however razgriz lowered the tone considerably in this thread.

Quote:
4) The term majority and minority of forum users keeps been used. I would like to point out that this is not easy to tell as you seem to believe it is as users (we dont know how many) have (we do know some have) stopped using these forums because of this system. It is not possible to gage by the majority or minority of posters to this thread that like or dislike the system or to get a figure by running a vote on these forums as the users we are talking about are not using these forums, therefore they wont be posting on them.
True its not easy to tell, but this has been discussed to death, we should accept that rep is here to stay and use it to the best of our ability.

Quote:
5) Does this count as a good post as this is structured, on topic and well written?
yes