User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 19 Oct 2006, 10:46   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Wireless Networking

I have 2 PC's, one upstairs running XPPro(sp2) and one downstairs in the room directly below running 98 .
I want to network these two so the downstairs one has access to the ADSL connection on the upstairs machine and am wondering the best way to go about doing this wirelessly as i don't want a great length of cable going round my house.

So, can i put a USB wireless adapter in both machines and set it up like that, or would i need to plug my modem in to a wireless router (or something) with an adapter in the downstairs machine?

Thanks for any help.
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 12:45   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Wireless Networking

you *can* but the best and most future-proof solution would be to put a wireless card in each machine, and plug the adsl into an adsl router which shares it between the computers.
with a wireless card ( or usb adaptor ) in both only, you would need the upstairs machine to be on when the downstairs one wants to access the internet
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 20:47   #3
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

I would go for a wireless router to be plugged into the adsl modem and put 2 Wireless card in each the computers, that will be a little bit more expensive, but think about the electricity you using just to keep one of the main computer so you can spare the router.
That way you will have 2 independant connections.
Unread 19 Oct 2006, 23:33   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Nice one, thanks.

So I could get a couple of wireless cards for the short term and get a router when my finances aren't under as much pressure (8 birthdays this month to buy for!).

Another query i have, is there a range on such devices? I'm a little concerned as the rooms are quite a distance apart - one is partially above the other, but i don't know if the strength of the transmitter will penetrate the ceiling.
Unread 20 Oct 2006, 11:17   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

yes, a rough guide is about 30-40m, with each wall or ceiling decreasing its range by at least 10m depending on its construction.
low quality wireless signal = bad though, you'll get horrendous packet loss
Unread 20 Oct 2006, 18:22   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Wireless Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
Another query i have, is there a range on such devices? I'm a little concerned as the rooms are quite a distance apart - one is partially above the other, but i don't know if the strength of the transmitter will penetrate the ceiling.
An ordinary (wood and plaster) ceiling shouldn't be a problem. My wireless router, located on the ground floor, works throughout my 3-story house and out into the (detached) garage.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2006, 00:06   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Great stuff, thank you all. :)
Unread 23 Oct 2006, 09:01   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Okay, i've set up my wireless network. It works great at sharing files bewteen the two PCs, but i'm having difficulty getting the 98se machine access to the internet. I had it working for a while yesterday, but while i was getting the file and printer sharing to work properly it decided to bugger up.
I've tried the XP network wizard but that doesn't seem to help so i'm currently at a loss as to why it doesn't work.

edit: ah, never mind - i appear to have got it working.

Last edited by Apothos; 23 Oct 2006 at 12:56.
Apothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Oct 2006, 17:47   #9
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

im glad you got it working.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 04:32   #10
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Thanks. :)

It's not totally unproblematic - i'm having trouble configuring Zone Alarm to allow the client machine to access the internet and file share (it works super with Zone Alarm off), so i've had to resort to Windows Firewall for the time being. I've read i won't have this issue when i start using a router, so it'll do for now.