User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Mar 2004, 19:47   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
PC to Laptop Transfer

Ok,

I have a laptop, I Have a PC, I have 5GB of (obviously legal) MP3 files.

I want them to go from the PC to the laptop. I don't want to waste CDs.

How please? what sorta cables/software would I need?

Any and all suggestions welcome. (Though not converting the files to word docs and typing them over please.)

I have till Sunday.
Unread 25 Mar 2004, 19:55   #2
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PC to Laptop Transfer

do they have network/usb/serial ports?
Unread 25 Mar 2004, 21:21   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: PC to Laptop Transfer

There are different sorts of links:
  • WLAN (wireless, requires two wireless lan-cards obviously... check network settings)

• LAN / Ethernet. 10 / 100mbit, both fine. You'd need a twisted pair ethernet cable, crossover for direct connection. Or attach them both to the same network (via hub or switch or similar)

• USB-Direct-Connection cable

• CD-RW, just "wasting" one disc, using it multiple times?

• DVD-Writer? DVD-R etc?

• USB Sticks?

• Smart- / FlashCards? Probably not... But might work ^^

• Parallel connection cable (goes to the printer port, quite fast)

• "Null Modem" cable, serial cable (goes to serial port, very slow, about DSL / cable internet speed, or worse)

• Swap Hard-Drives? I.e install both in one machine, and copy all files over locally through IDE (prolly won't work as one is a laptop)

• MP3-Player as temporary file storage?

• AudioCable analogue realtime recording: Play on one machine, record / encode on the other. Takes as long as it gets, you are busy typing the filenames, AND you get worse quality.
    \o/

• Comedy floppy disk / ZipDisk option
Unread 26 Mar 2004, 09:33   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

with 5GB, I'd definitely consider the cross over cable solution. @ 100Mbit it is the fastest solution and very futureproof too, WLAN is painfully slow, cross over cable is piss cheap aswell.

or you could just use a fast burner, but using CDRW will take time to erase them, far longer than writing it, or just burn several CDRs and keep them for future use. DVDRW would pwn @ this too btw.

you could try plug in your laptop HDD into your main comp and transfer, fastest method I'd say, might need converter/adapter thingy though.

everything else is way too much hassle.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 08:53   #5
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
with 5GB, I'd definitely consider the cross over cable solution. @ 100Mbit it is the fastest solution...
USB 2.0 could be faster. As well as a parellel-direct-cable-connection, depends on both machines speed though.

Quote:
...WLAN is painfully slow...
54Mbit, about half the speed of 100Mbit ethernet... I wouldn't call that painfully slow.

Quote:
...cross over cable is piss cheap aswell.
That's right, but air is cheaper!

Quote:
or you could just use a fast burner, but using CDRW will take time to erase them, far longer than writing it...
No. Deleting a CD-RW using Nero takes less than 1 minute (using a 12x-speed-RW-writer). Even reducing the speed to 4x doesn't really slow down the deleting very much. Writing 700MB with 12x takes about 8min btw...

Quote:
everything else is way too much hassle.
Well, see above (e.g. my list)...
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 15:03   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
54Mbit, about half the speed of 100Mbit ethernet... I wouldn't call that painfully slow.
54mbps is a maximum theoretical speed (real-world is more like 30mbps tops) and assumes you're using 802.11.g equipment. Air may well be free, but have you seen the price of 11.g cards recently? Especially PCMCIA ones for laptops - you'd be nuts to buy that sort of gear just to transfer MP3s. As you haven't mentioned a wireless switch or router I guess you're talking about ad-hoc wireless, which from my own experience is notoriously flakey and can work fine on one occasion, then when you return an hour later, refuse to connect point blank.
In comparison, a 1 meter cat5e network cable is about £5 from the most expensive of places, the laptop almost certainly has built in ethernet, and I'd be surprised if the PC didn't. If it doesnt, a wired ethernet card is about a tenner.

Wired-LAN wins.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 29 Mar 2004 at 15:09.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 15:55   #7
JetLinus

Yeah, ok, I can follow you. And that's all true.
Hm.

I was more replying to the points seperately. I.e. wireless speed is not too bad, even if it's only 1/4th of the bandwith of 100mbps-ethernet.

And IF you have wireless cards (most new computers do have them built in in my experience), you don't need cable...

Also you could check (given the case that there aren't network ports on both machines) the price of an USB cable versus network cable + network card.

Ah well
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 17:06   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

You know, I think it's interesting to invest in a wireless card.
A friend of mine went wardriving with his laptop a few blocks from his house, and in that small area found a few dozen unprotected wireless networks. Imagine being able to leech MP3's and other files from open directories.... Free internet... distributing virusses...
The last one is going to be a MAJOR problem in the future. If those networks are wide open like that. It makes a virus writer untrackable.
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 21:05   #9
JetLinus

Well, it makes him sort of "physically / geographical" trackable. You know that the person has to be at a certain location -- which you DON'T really know from IPs (can be spoofed etc).

Or imagine traps, with angry people waiting behind the next corner, as soon as someone breaks into their fake-open-wlan...
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 22:09   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
54mbps is a maximum theoretical speed (real-world is more like 30mbps tops) and assumes you're using 802.11.g equipment. Air may well be free, but have you seen the price of 11.g cards recently? Especially PCMCIA ones for laptops - you'd be nuts to buy that sort of gear just to transfer MP3s. As you haven't mentioned a wireless switch or router I guess you're talking about ad-hoc wireless, which from my own experience is notoriously flakey and can work fine on one occasion, then when you return an hour later, refuse to connect point blank.
In comparison, a 1 meter cat5e network cable is about £5 from the most expensive of places, the laptop almost certainly has built in ethernet, and I'd be surprised if the PC didn't. If it doesnt, a wired ethernet card is about a tenner.

Wired-LAN wins.

I reckon its just down to bad drivers/packaged software tbh.

I just use WinXP wireless zero config service/inbuilt wireless options, and my ad-hoc network always works flawlessly, using the packaged software is totally hit and miss.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 16:17   #11
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Ive been testing some wireless kit for an office where we dont want to be plagued with Cabling issues. So far the kit seems good, and has only cost us £70 odd for the bridge (Which is also a 4 port switch, fw and dsl router) and £35 ea. for four cards. Thats a small biz office desktop lan in wireless mod for about £200.

This sounds expensive, but it does mean expansion and moving the office furniture around is dead easy in the future as I dont have to rewire anything, lay more cabling, or be tied to specific system locations.

For transferring MP3's, yes a tad expensive just for that task.
Unread 1 Apr 2004, 21:55   #12
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

I'm using a wireless accespoint for connecting my laptop to the rest of the network, simply because i'll be adding more wireless computers later. I know that using a 54mbit connection with Overboost feature (and with LOS on short range) you can get up to an amazing 108mbit, beat that without going into full duplex on a 100mbit lan (which then runs @ 200mbit).

And i really have had some bad experiences with wires and connecting/disconnecting a lot, they tend to break down after a while.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote