User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Mar 2004, 15:04   #1
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Warning messages when turning the PC on

On starting the PC, I get 2 messages saying "<file name> could not be detected". They appear to have been spyware or something which Norton removed, and it doesn't appear to have affected the running of my PC so I want to know how to stop the messages popping up every time I start the PC. The OS is win2k pro

cheers
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2004, 22:25   #2
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Warning messages when turning the PC on

I'm not sure, but maybe it's something in autoexec.bat (if it's still being used on win2k)
I could be talking out of my arse though
Unread 21 Mar 2004, 22:41   #3
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

check your registry, those files have links into the registry and because of that windows tries to boot them up every time your computer starts.

It is possible to manually remove those links, tough it's difficult and if you do something wrong you'll be forced to format/reinstall your computer.

There should also be programs on the internet that can look into your registry, find the dead links and remove them without damaging your computer.

I'm btw not very experienced in any of these things as i use a proper virus scanner and spyware killer that also remove registry links to files

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2004, 11:40   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Warning messages when turning the PC on

Start, -> Run, type "regedit", Enter
Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Run
or HKEY_CURRENT_USER, etc
Look for your filenames in those registry keys and remove the according entries.
Unread 22 Mar 2004, 15:07   #5
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Start>Run Type MSConfig

Under startup tab it will tell you what is launching at startup and where the key is stored in the registry so you can remove it.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote