Thread: Broadband
View Single Post
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 09:05   #10
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
BT Openworld provide a very good service, with only one major drawback.

When you speak to most ISP help desks, you get someone who is knowledgable about the potential problems and can help you get a resolution quickly (like Blueyonder, they rock)

BT Openworld are 'slightly' different

Imagine if you will there are people who are incapable of answering phones in taxi firms and pizza delivery firms. People so inept that they should be paid to stay at home and not leave the house. Those people work for BT Openworld technical support

Their 'technicians' read from a script 'Can you check your dns settings' and refuse to deviate from this so if you know exactly what the problem is, adsl wires destroyed by godzilla or asdl modem sitting in a mound of melted plastic etc it wont help you get any further until you have gone through their little list

Oh, and if they say ANYTHING about the details in your account being wrong get them sorted and the details confirmed by FAX or letter as that may stop the useless wankers deleting your account because they are too stupid to delete the one THEY setup in your name without asking or telling you

Vaio

They must work the dayshift at NTL then. My NTL connection is generally good, being twice as fast as what I actually pay for, but there was a three month or so period earlier this year where it would slow to a crawl in the evenings. Phoning NTL did no good - one time I was on hold for 85 minutes, and then the guy said he couldn't speak to me as I was the account holder. A ridiculous situation where the account holder was just relaying information between me and the guy on the telephone ensued, and eventually the "technician" caved in and spoke to me directly. It did no good though - he was just reading from a list of things to tick off ("have you tried resetting your PC?!?!?!") and eventually directed me to another support line where the staff where more knowledgable. I never bothered to phone them up, so I don't know.

And that is the tip of the iceberg of the problems I've had with NTL. For god sake don't give them anything complicated to do like change the identity of the account holder, you'll be at it for fooking months!

But apart from their complete absence of competent staff they're okay, heh.