View Single Post
Unread 4 Oct 2006, 19:28   #7
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Age of Empires vs Civilisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I will. Civ II is the best of the series, Alpha Centauri is the best of "that" style of game.
I won't disagree that Civ 2 is the best in the series but these days it's very dated. SMAC is certainly be up there with the best of that style but in my opinion Civ 4 is an incredible game which has brought the concept up to a modern standard, I think it's up there at the same level as SMAC and Civ 2 both of which I played extensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellian
So you play in direct competition with CPU players? Otherwise where does the turn-based element come in?

Are they both still war / conquest based or to a certain extent just about building and managing ie Sim City-esque?

Like I say I have never played either but I have previously always enjoyed games like Sim-City, and Red Alert and I somehow got the impression that these two might be in some way a hybrid of those two?
Civilization is literally just turned based, you use your turn to build cities and structures, research technology and move your troops, you end your turn and then the CPU players (Up to 16 ?) do the same in their turns. Then you take your turn again and advance all the way from the primitive tribes to nuclear weapons. There's no real time aspect of it, when your units come in conflict with another players units the result is worked out mathematically. The great thing about Civilization is that while war and conquest is the most obvious option to win there are also other ways to play the game such as religion/culture, technology/industry and diplomacy.

Age of Empires on the other hand is building a base and moving troops around on the map just like Red Alert, nothing on a larger scale like in Civilization. A better combination of Red Alert and Sim City may be the Total War (Rome Total War is the most recent but Medieval II Total War is out next month) series. In the Total War games you build cities and move armies around on the tactical map but when armies come into conflict you can take charge of the battle yourself and move units around like in an RTS such as Red Alert.

Last edited by Hicks; 4 Oct 2006 at 19:39.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote