View Single Post
Unread 19 Mar 2014, 20:44   #16
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: England Team for 2014

Quote:
I'd personally go for:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).
Agree. First choice Joe Hart.

Quote:
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones (Man Utd), Phil Jagielka (Everton) (injured currently but taking).
Phil Jones is not needed, also three left backs is overdoing it. Reduce Cashley Cole (not getting time at Chelsea) also. Add Dawson. I'm leaving one slot here since well they're all just not quality.

Quote:
Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal) (or Barry if Wilshere is still injured).
The lack of a Walcott is highly disturbing but he's probably injured right.

Andros Townsend is my one grief here. He's very much dribble and cut in and very little end product. My preference is Johnson (similar perhaps yes, but I feel more end product less hassle). Also scratch Jordan Henderson and have a Michael Carrick.

Quote:
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).
No disagreements here. I would happily use the spare slot I left from the defense and mash it up with a tall target man. Since Crouch and Carroll are the choices, I'm picking up neither and calling up Robbie Savage as the team mascot.

4-2-3-1 is fine for the long ball football England should be playing with this material.

Hart is by a mile the first choice keeper, although to me Forster is adequate cover.

Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Walker would be my preferred defense. In the lack of a Jagielka, I might go to Dawson. Mostly because I feel Jones and Smalling are just too error prone. And that's a comparison to Michael Dawson.

Gerrard and Carrick make for the slow double deep. They're both well, slow, but have excellent passing range and positioning nevertheless. In front of them will sit the Shrek with Hair. He's good, he really is - yes he's not been very profilic, but Man Utd are shambles right now. He has the work rate and the fighting spirit to cover a lot of ground. It's necessary.

Pace on the flanks will miss Walcott, but it will be up to Raheem Sterling and Sturridge to work the flanks. Yes, I know I'm putting Sturridge there. Kind of an advanced winger I suppose.

The lone striker role is tough. I would start with Rickie Lambert here. Should that fail, drop, move Sturridge up front, and put Milner on the flank and accept he's not that fast.

I'm not sure if I can actually put Milner on the left flank and have him cover for Baines' going upwards. Maybe that's a plan.

The major game plan is to park a bus and spray quick, long balls when the ball is won. There are good passers. There are good wingers, and there are back up wingers (Johnson, Oxlade-Chamberlain) to put in if 90 is too much for one.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote