Thread: Taking bets
View Single Post
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:59   #39
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
for example u ar eonly warned that u need an excpetion if u sign up with the same ip as someone - if you then moved to live with someone then u would need an excpetion but it might not occur to u if u r using the same internt conenction but different PCs.

That is simply not true Kal, the EULA clearly states that if you have more than one person playing PA from the same IP, not signing up but playing, that you need to mail for an exception. It is a players responsibility to read and understand the rules before playing a game. Failure to do so is not a valid excuse, and "Oh sorry I didn't know." simply doesn't play out either.

I have often times had to mail Phil^ asking for an exception, hell I played an entire round of PA with my brother from the same house/same computer. We were in separate alliances, and yes it hurt never being able to defend my brother, but I dont want anything I do to be in any way construed as cheating, so I am very careful about that. Even after being given the OK for my exception, I still dont take that as a green light to go do all the cheating I ever wanted.

All that being said, what I have posted, and everyone else is probably an overreaction, at least I hope so. I trust that PATeam has the good judgement to make sure that people are not profiting from their actions and that the appropriate punishment is handed out. I would like to point out however, that just a penalty in roids is not sufficient...you need to take away XP as well otherwise they still benefit from their 'illegal' actions.

Also, the best way to prevent cheating is not to close a lot of planets early and then to open them up with a slight slap on the wrist. The best way to prevent cheating is to have a zero tolerance policy. If people are caught cheating close them, delete them, tell them if they want to keep playing they can make a new account. Hell at the very least you could restart their account from scratch. There is a reason why judiciary systems have the death penalty, and why companies like Valve will ban you no questions asked and no appeals if you are caught doing something you are not supposed. That reason is the more severe the punishment the better a deterent it is to future offenses.