View Single Post
Unread 2 Feb 2006, 15:24   #50
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Reporting abusive reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
for the 5th time today as reply to the 5th person today who said it, just because its flawed doesnt mean you shud just ignore it. Ignoring whats wrong with the world wont help it make it any better
Except where its very few people who actually think the world is wrong.
Quote:
its not one issue that i'm bothered with, its the whole basic system of giving anonymous unseen comments on posts thats whats bothering me.When you feel a poster is shit and you feel he needs to change it, you should PM either here or on IRC, instead of giving away a commentless red dot. I have in the past always signed my negreps with a reason why i gave it and my name so people could debate about it when they feel the need to, instead of the debate i got back negreps saying "omg you suck giving me a reddot" etc. How is that more usefull then contacting someone on PM?
Youve illustrated perfectly why the rep system is anonymous
Person A gets neg repped by Person B
Person A goes to find a random post of Person B to neg rep in retaliation

Thats hardly a good system now is it? Reps are given in retaliation instead of for merit
Quote:
so this means automatically people who post more get more green dots. thats hardly a good indication of the quality someone posts with is it?
those who post more, better quality posts get more green dots, and deservedly so.
Those who have been around longest have higher numbers of rep points, and deservedly so for sticking about and helping maintain the forums community

Why should a poster who spams utter nonsense get anything other then red ones? Case in point : maxmillan.
Why should a new poster who comes along and makes one or two excellent posts have a higher reputation then a veteren who occasionally makes excellent posts but mostly makes good ones?

The real issue is about you, having gotten some reps you thought were unfair but not knowing who gave you them - you decide to whine about getting them in the first place and demand the system is changed just for you rather then work out why it is you got them and change your ways.
Yes theres always going to be some people who abuse the anonymity to neg rep because they dont like you - but they usually do not have much in the way of rep altering power because they are more often then not - crap posters who rarely get pos repped in the first place.
There is no reason to create a rep system where rep-wars are commonplace which is what would happen should the anonymity be removed

If you dont like reps you get - report them
If the mods see nothing wrong with them - get over it
If you still cant take it, ignore the reps altogether