View Single Post
Unread 30 Apr 2006, 03:54   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Preventing XP for Defence removing the need for scans

Its the whole argument over whether to promote activity or not, and/or encouraging the use of scanners or not, i reckon.

Ie, if you take the first view (held by appoco) that showing the XP gain on an individual tick basis you:
1) encourage tick-by-tick activity
2) de-emphasise the use of scanners to JGP defence

If you follow the second view (espoused by Furbeh), that bundeling the XP for defence up and then distributing it at the end of the mission (recall/return), you;
1) Place reduced emphasis on activity
2) Reinforce / make more extensive use of scanners.

Personally, i think encouraging tick by tick activity in such a small fashion isnt bad - indeed, it could be healthy for Alliances and their DCs in order to make more fleets available for defence and thus reducing the strong attack orientated focus of PA atm. This could be interpreted as bad, but i'd like to think of it as a slightly more balanced approach.

Secondly, i've never been a massive fan of scan planets (sorry my lovely scanners!! ) insofar as scan planets are very much a "have or have not" type thing - most good alliances (and all top alliances) will almost always have at least one scanner available all the time. Many smaller alliances will have part-time scanners on some of the time. Solo/informal group players dont have access to scanners except if they take the time and effort in developing their own skills at scans themselves. Granted, solo players have less incentive to defend other people, but those smaller players in loose alliances (like Blade of Scythe) are still a very important group of the playing population. If they can be made aware of a pseudo JGP scan to help them, then it could be benificial ot the game on the whole.

Thus, i am finding myself in agreement with appoco (!!!!!!) on this one.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote