User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 24 Dec 2008, 05:26   #1
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
r30 ship stats

Who's doing them?

Can you give Ter a fi/co targeting BS so they're uber?

Now that that's out of the way, let's see some pre-season action jonny.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 09:12   #2
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Re: r30 ship stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Who's doing them?

Can you give Ter a fi/co targeting BS so they're uber?

Now that that's out of the way, let's see some pre-season action jonny.
After R28 where the grpy was a FR, then changed to DE for r29, I hope that at least thats stays the same.

A FI/CO targetting BS would be helpful, even if its on T3. It was either build DE+"Attack Cat" or BS+"Attack Xan". Perhaps make the dragon into a FI/CO killer.

Get rid of the ST killers, and give us ships that are more useful.

Wyvern Battleship Fr Co Fi
Dragon Battleship De Cr Bs

That changes the dynamic of it, and would i think make people build equal numbers.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 09:34   #3
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

allowing a 100% bs fleet would be way too powerful, it was only possible with cat imo because they are underpowered almost no matter what is done to them, and having a fi or co that targeted cr/bs would put cr/bs at an disadvantage as they would have an extra tick for alliances to defend against them. If this was to be the case I think it would have to be with an emp ship like the viper in round 25.

while both options are interesting I would imagine they would both make balancing the stats rather harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster
A FI/CO targetting BS would be helpful, even if its on T3. It was either build DE+"Attack Cat" or BS+"Attack Xan". Perhaps make the dragon into a FI/CO killer.
if there are changes that are as big as this then I imagine there would be enough changes to other races that the 'attack cat' or 'attack xan' might change as well.

Quote:
I dont think there is anything to stop there being more ships while keeping structure killers, the structure killers are a useful dynamic to the game that are probably still under used as they have the capability to really set back a planets development. The reason why there are not more ships is the fewer ships the simpler the stats are therefore the easier for everyone to understand and the more likely there is to be balanced stats.

Quote:
That changes the dynamic of it, and would i think make people build equal numbers.
is it not restrictive to be basing stats based on how many of that ship you think people will want to build, why does equal numbers matter?

Otterly an Otter.

Last edited by booji; 24 Dec 2008 at 09:56.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 09:59   #4
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
what do propose we then do to immune distwhores?
the SK has a purpose, clearly U didnt play r25 when it made a big difference with the whole of asc distwhoring!

As to Bs targeting fi/co I felt terr BS was excellent (offensively at least) anyway, if hypothetically they were to be made to target all It whould have to be something like Wyvern fr/co/fi Dragon cr/bs and Syren (as Cr?) hitting De giving the need both to have 3 ships and having a tertiary target hole for fi

ps I dont think this is at all a good scheme!

Last edited by [B5]Londo; 24 Dec 2008 at 10:34.
[B5]Londo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 14:20   #5
Donar

Donar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really nice

BS CR have a hard time of landing as it is sometimes, with 2 ticks of def, adding a 3rd would be overkill.

i hope someone will change mantis in de or frig ship, it's the only ship that can kill unpunished. it has written lame all over it.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 14:30   #6
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

i liked the mantis - it helped me alot; the rampant xan fi/co this round needed it, the fact so many landed against it shows it was not particularly terrifying.

It only works because its cat ofc and they dont kill well in other areas, its good that cats can close off one area to attack because they were so vulnerable in others, they were not even the best at emp last round.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 15:23   #7
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt view the Mantis as such a huge problem this round, was a good way to balance out xan a bit imo.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 15:39   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

The fi/co targetting bs comment was a joke, but obviously nobody got it :/

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 15:47   #9
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

MrLobster sounded serious, hence I replied to him not you.

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 18:54   #10
Cochese
Retired

Right, just wanted to clear that up though

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 19:35   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought I'd post up what I'm doing. This is basically the results of about two hours work today. I quite like the direction I'm going in (obviously the most significant differences at this point are that I gave cath decent semi-conventional killships as opposed to gay things like the mantis or ships which suck and that every race bar zik has 3 pods). Obviously this is the first draft so I'd like people to comment on the direction they think these stats are going in as well as pointing out any flaws (obviously there'll be tons of those at this stage).

Edit: In terms of making emp work I decided to go along with gate's method from a couple of rounds ago where all t1s are the same.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 19:56   #12
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

3 pods! well Im sure it will be fun to play, but i think i will avoid volunteering to DC with such an added complexity!
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 19:58   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

...?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 19:58   #14
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

Can we get a zik fi/co anti-bs/cr? I miss the days of a million zik fi anti-cr to use against cats
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 20:01   #15
booji
a bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo View Post
3 pods! well Im sure it will be fun to play, but i think i will avoid volunteering to DC with such an added complexity!
im not sure it would change things really, as presumably everyone has a pod in each meta class(?) so you still work things out based on etas, or else on numbers as before.

means much more opportunity to fake tho

Otterly an Otter.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 20:05   #16
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
means much more opportunity to fake tho
That is exactly what I meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
Can we get a zik fi/co anti-bs/cr? I miss the days of a million zik fi anti-cr to use against cats
I expect anything that fires from Cr/Bs to Fi/Co or vice versa counts as "gay things like the mantis"
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 20:25   #17
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Whats being done to Xan's to stop them being OP?

They already have the ability to fake defence, fake attacks, and with 3 pod classes.. they'll have an even easier time faking.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 20:58   #18
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I vote for adding in more pod classes for all races.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 21:06   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...JhZY38mC7PJ8Dw I forgot to post the actual link heh. (I've noticed for some bizzare the cath stealer doesn't have the t1 copied across, that should be de.

Quote:
Whats being done to Xan's to stop them being OP?
10% of all xan ships will randomly implode per tick. Srsly.

Obviously I'm aware of problems like xan being gud, I'm the one who's been pointing out how ****ing virtually impossible it is for xan to be underpowered for god knows how long now.

Quote:
Yeah I too miss the days when zik were horrifically overpowered but for obvious reasons I'm going to try and avoid going down that path!

I'll try and say a bit more about my reasoning here. Essentially I wanted each race to be playable and interesting in more than one way, as in there's more than one way of playing it. To do this there are more ships in these stats than previous ones but they're also a bit more condensed into particular classes. Originally I was hoping to add more classes/different types of ships but unfortunately this isn't doable.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 24 Dec 2008 at 22:09.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 21:41   #20
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way things are going man, keep up the good work.
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 22:10   #21
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

I really like it except for one thing

The xan bs wtf pwns, brings back memories of being owned by xan cr r28 and just by the init its even better than they were as unlike then the rogue fires after the spec. Ofc it could be made of paper, i mean worse than normal for xan

however I ought to reserve judgement until armor and damage comes along
Unread 24 Dec 2008, 22:16   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I really like it except for one thing

The xan bs wtf pwns, brings back memories of being owned by xan cr r28 and just by the init its even better than they were as unlike then the rogue fires after the spec. Ofc it could be made of paper, i mean worse than normal for xan

however I ought to reserve judgement until armor and damage comes along
There are a couple of things to consider. First xan research was faster (than normal) that round, I'd consider actually dropping its research speed from the current level for this. And obviously yeah a/c d/cs will be used to balance a lot of things.

I think if I could ask people two questions those would be, if you have a preferred race would you still go for it? If not why? And if you don't do you see any races you don't like? If so why?
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 00:09   #23
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

Dunno if Im blind or something; but I always miss something fundamental on first glance at a new stats set - I didnt see the Spec dosent hit CR!
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 00:19   #24
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

I would change from Zik to play Xan (FR+Pulsars) or Etd (Co or FR). I like the fact Cath freeze before Etd emp, I felt that was something wrong about last round's stats.

My first impression is that every race is playable. Terran perhaps is a little weak.
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 00:24   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Dunno if Im blind or something; but I always miss something fundamental on first glance at a new stats set - I didnt see the Spec dosent hit CR!
That was something I changed.
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 00:32   #26
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

that explains it!!
good to see my input having an effect then
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 00:36   #27
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
that explains it!!
good to see my input having an effect then
Some people are so self involved
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 02:30   #28
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Am i right in persuming that now that every race has 2-4 choices on which class they want to roid with? its going to cause more havoc for lower-level alliances having to deal with any class of incs from any race?
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 02:45   #29
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I think the idea of 3 pods is brilliant. I'm not a big fan of having a 3rd race with steal ship, especially when it concern Caths and that they would be able to steal all kinds of kill ships.
The "logical' evolution of EMP is Subversion. I remember how weird it was to have a subvert race, but i wouldn't mind 1 subvert ship for the caths.
I was Ter last round, I could keep them with those stats with a FR/CR fleet.
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 13:57   #30
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

with just a quick glance at the set for now, I think it looks interesting.
But.. zik with 2 pods, and no fi/co. God dont force me to pick something else than zik

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 14:23   #31
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

A few points when looking at the stats:

the cutlass. Why is it co? Make it fi, and make sairs/cutl a serious option for ziks? as it is both are weak on their own, and with the thief in attackfleets, and better init not many will go for cutl... That being said - should be fairly doable for ziks to steal fi/co with this set..which again could make it useful, and zik quite interesting to play with! mmmmmmmm
but maybe remove the interceptor, and make the cutl fi.

make voyager and beetle innit 2. while the viper has init 3?
I hate mass emping same innit, forcing a full empcover for it to be usefull.
I like the spider having init 1 btw, but as it is, the voyager is useless vs cath co, and its useless with beets vs cath co. Give the viper init 3, and this is suddenly changed!

You kinda force ziks on a cr path with the init advantage on steal. cr contra fr. FR ziks = easy pickings for CR ziks.

The cath FR stealer: none of the fr/de attack fleets have FR as t1. Already a good sign for a stealship.
Then add the fact that it can have free pickings from 2-3 of em. pwn sign for a stealship
Then add the fact that it can already freeze most of it on its own, and it just looks way too good. This ship better be fking shit, or you are forcing me to go cath.

right, enough pa for now! just some quick thoughts, most of em not well thought through and incorrect I spose!

( I like more podsclasses btw )

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 17:44   #32
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Am i right in persuming that now that every race has 2-4 choices on which class they want to roid with? its going to cause more havoc for lower-level alliances having to deal with any class of incs from any race?
I don't think it'll make for a significant difference to be honest. You still just au scan, see what the fleet is and send anti-whatever it is coming. Sure faking might come back more into it but I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

Quote:
The "logical' evolution of EMP is Subversion. I remember how weird it was to have a subvert race, but i wouldn't mind 1 subvert ship for the caths.
I was told a while ago subversion wouldn't be possible to put back in.

Quote:
make voyager and beetle innit 2. while the viper has init 3?
I hate mass emping same innit, forcing a full empcover for it to be usefull.
Disagree entirely. I think emp sucks enough that crippling its natural advantages (always firing) is pretty shitty (we all saw how bad cath cr fleets ended up last round). The only exception I've made for this is the widow which fires at t2 and obviously doesn't make ally eta.

Quote:
the cutlass. Why is it co? Make it fi, and make sairs/cutl a serious option for ziks?
I actually think it's better as a co class ship as it's a) targetted t2 by the emp ships (although there won't be a massive drop off and b) it requires a specific ship, the vsh to be built versus it. Remember the only other co class anti-co ships are both emp (ie it doesn't really matter that much if they're zero loss versus you). As well as this it gives you an immediate option for flakking any co you steal which I've always considered to be a necessary part of things for zik. And yeah what I'm trying to do is make it so zik can steal relatively well to fill in their fleet.

Quote:
You kinda force ziks on a cr path with the init advantage on steal. cr contra fr. FR ziks = easy pickings for CR ziks.
I'll be messing around with zik cr/bs, particularly relative to xan bs (I'll try something after I finish this post if you want to have a look).

Quote:
This ship better be fking shit, or you are forcing me to go cath.
I'd imagine if it sticks like it is now, it's something I have questions over myself, it'd be weaker than a conventional zik stealship, something akin to the thief from last round maybe.

Edit: Added the peacekeeper for xan, changed the init bit for the bucc.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 25 Dec 2008 at 18:03.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 18:39   #33
Wishmaster
LDK

the thief wasnt that shit in comparison to the cutl though,was it? And this combo can give kickass additions to a cath fleet.. So make it shit plz.

regarding the cutl, well I dont know. at a first glance I d prefer it as fi if I went zik myself. Mainly to strengthen the sair while prodding cutl. Make the interceptor CO! would be more useful ship then. As it is, I dont see it being built way too much.

I ll be around tonight on irc if u want any help / inputs

Quote:
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 19:35   #34
isildurx

Man etd looks pretty cool with 4 pods I must say, although I assume their efficiencies arent going to be a rediculously good on the emp ships as last round?

Every race look playable and picking a 'best' fleetsetup for each race seem somwhat hard without knowing how the uni pans out.
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 21:42   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
the thief wasnt that shit in comparison to the cutl though,was it? And this combo can give kickass additions to a cath fleet.. So make it shit plz.
If we could find a round in recent memory when cath have been overpowered I'd be more concerned but yeah I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
regarding the cutl, well I dont know. at a first glance I d prefer it as fi if I went zik myself. Mainly to strengthen the sair while prodding cutl. Make the interceptor CO! would be more useful ship then. As it is, I dont see it being built way too much.
Yeah woo, overpower my race!
Unread 25 Dec 2008, 23:55   #36
Wishmaster
LDK

u get the point!

Quote:
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 02:17   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

http://beta.planetarion.com/manual.php?page=stats

First draft for you all to peruse.
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 14:00   #38
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

I love cath.

I feel sorry for zik with only 2 pods, give them a third pod and make it fair?

Seriously though cath is ace I wanna play cath again, this is bad
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 14:11   #39
isildurx

It should be fairly easy to cap some pods as zik with so much pods around tho.
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 14:43   #40
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
And yeah what I'm trying to do is make it so zik can steal relatively well to fill in their fleet.
Ouch! A shiver just ran down the full length of my spine.

Maybe I'm prejudiced against Zik (actually there's not much "maybe" about it) - but I'm against any suggestion that stealing should be easier. Experience tells me that (easier) stealing just results in (more) "lowbie bashing".

Still, plenty of time for things to develop. I'm not meaning to criticise the stats - just that specific concept. Keep up the good work, JBG.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 14:52   #41
isildurx

He isnt saying that stealing is going to be easier, but that it will be a higher likelyhood of stealing something useful that complements your fleet rather than useless ships which only can be used as flack.
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 15:08   #42
Cochese
Retired

I usually go Terran or Xan, and I'd pick either one again with these stats. Leaning towards Terran though.

Nice job JBG, this is the first interesting set of stats in ****ing ages.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 26 Dec 2008, 19:30   #43
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Terran looks rather weak. The Fr fleet seems useless. For attack I'd go with a Cr fleet. Bs seems useless as they are owned by Spectres and Rogues, plus all emp ships have them as T1. Not going for fr will leave a gaping fi/co hole. Closing it with WarFrs or Pegs will be practicly impossible AND will leave you with a lot of resources in ships that will just sit there. They will be of little help when your alliance sends def and cannot be used to help defend your alliance. I'd rather see the Pegasus as a Co or Fi, like last round's Harpy. It's not much help the way it is now. There is nothing to defend your alliance with.

Cathaar looks nice. I was considering going cath before the round and I might go through with that with current stats. I'm not sure the mantis is a good idea. I liked the old mantis more: a fantastic ship that could help defend yourself, but not be used for your alliance. Better make it target De or Fr. Cath need ships that can help defend their weaknesses without making it an über race.

Xan look strong as usual.
The Zik Fr fleet looks just as useless as the Terran one. The Cr fleet is just as bad. You need to get lucky with your steals early on or you'll be sorry for picking this race. Better give them a Fi pod.
Etd look solid again.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 01:02   #44
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
The Zik Fr fleet looks just as useless as the Terran one. The Cr fleet is just as bad. You need to get lucky with your steals early on or you'll be sorry for picking this race. Better give them a Fi pod.
Funny U should say that of the zik Cr which apart from the rogue targeting only Bs is fairly similar to this round.

As to your terran comment I think terr have the choice of going Fr/De and being hard to hit by Fi/Co but easy to hit with Cr/Bs or going for Bs/Cr + pegs and being easy to hit with Fi/Co

It seems like most races have to make a similar trade off in these stats; this is partly because all the Fr/De are very vulnerable to Cr/Bs - only the widow has anything like a decent initiative shooting up; it worked this round because there was hordes of Widows and Specs not in attack fleets available to defend but if a cat goes De or a xan Fr then their Widows/Bombers will be out, the bomber is also poor in comparison to the spec.

That also leads me to a general point of interest, which is only partially stats related, will there be less defence available overall because there are theoretically fewer ships which are not in attack fleets - because of the additional pods?
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 02:15   #45
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Cath DE look very strong. Then it depends how you use the locust.
I wonder how a all FR xan would do, building only 2 ships + pods.

I expect a lot more dist whores with these stats, which isn't bad as it gives a real alternative to Finance Centers.
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 09:49   #46
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

You will see people build a few more dists but noone will properly dist whore again until fcs get capped again.

Its just not possible to keep up.
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 10:46   #47
isildurx

I agree with Benneh.

"will there be less defence available overall because there are theoretically fewer ships which are not in attack fleets - because of the additional pods?"

I am not quite sure to be honest, I think there will be few people who attack with less than two fleets a night but there might also be the possibility that seeing as planets have 2\3 attackfleets they are able to defend with the one most needed by their alliance and then attack with the 1\2 others.
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 12:23   #48
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think it's viable for people to have 3 distinct attack fleets, so whichever ships are not in the 2 attack fleets can be used as defence. I don't foresee a change from last round. The only difference will be that some people have attack fleets A and B, while using C and remainder as defence, and some people will have attack fleets B and C while using A and remainder as defence.

Ideally, I'd like to see 6 global pods, available to each race, on which they can build their own attack fleets.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 13:41   #49
Rio
Denial

Rio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie2 View Post
Terran looks rather weak. The Fr fleet seems useless. For attack I'd go with a Cr fleet. Bs seems useless as they are owned by Spectres and Rogues, plus all emp ships have them as T1. Not going for fr will leave a gaping fi/co hole. Closing it with WarFrs or Pegs will be practicly impossible AND will leave you with a lot of resources in ships that will just sit there. They will be of little help when your alliance sends def and cannot be used to help defend your alliance. I'd rather see the Pegasus as a Co or Fi, like last round's Harpy. It's not much help the way it is now. There is nothing to defend your alliance with.
Really not getting what you've said here.. looking at stats the only ship that will cause cr problems is the mantis. But i do agree with making the Pegasus a fi/co so that there is some sort of natural def ship for going ter cr.

Apart from that stats look pretty good!
Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2008, 14:11   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Er, you'd probably want to ignore anything about t1 and t2 emps, I used gate's thing where they're all targetted in the same fashion so there's no issue over cr being that much harder to emp than bs. I think most of them are pretty close at the minute although fi/fr/bs is slightly easier to emp at the minute but not due to them being t1 (as due to the intention of the stats I mean).

Quote:
I love cath.

I feel sorry for zik with only 2 pods, give them a third pod and make it fair?

Seriously though cath is ace I wanna play cath again, this is bad
I too would almost consider playing cath. Zik being left a pod short is deliberate as a) they can steal easily b) this encourages you to go out and steal and c) stealing is something all ziks should be looking towards doing with these stats.

Quote:
I'd rather see the Pegasus as a Co or Fi, like last round's Harpy. It's not much help the way it is now. There is nothing to defend your alliance with.
Game mentioned this to me as well. To be honest I'll probably create a harpy, fi class t1 co t2 fi. I do recognise that terran are a bit weak under this set and I'm attempting to compensate with greater efficiencies for the fr and bs fleets. Terran are a very easy race to underpower in my opinion but when you're able to concentrate your already heavy armour it can be a fantastic race (as we saw last round with terran de).

Quote:
Quote:
Zik. As usual I don't like them. But I never like them so I don't think I'm the right person to comment.
You said this back in r26 gerbie (I remember everything). I disagree with your interpretation of zik. High efficiencies have been proven to work fantastically well for zik.

Quote:
Maybe I'm prejudiced against Zik (actually there's not much "maybe" about it) - but I'm against any suggestion that stealing should be easier. Experience tells me that (easier) stealing just results in (more) "lowbie bashing".
Stealing is what zik is about. We're really talking about an entirely different race if we're talking about minimising the impact of stealing.

Quote:
I expect a lot more dist whores with these stats, which isn't bad as it gives a real alternative to Finance Centers.
Hopefully, diversity is cool. I have asked pateam to reintroduce the fc cap so we'll have to see there.

Quote:
That also leads me to a general point of interest, which is only partially stats related, will there be less defence available overall because there are theoretically fewer ships which are not in attack fleets - because of the additional pods?
This is something I did deliberately because I feel the game can benefit immensely from more choice, and definitely from more people recognising that there is a choice. Last round I posted on the ascendancy.tv forums when we went to war that 3 fleet defending isn't a bad tactic sometimes. Sometimes it makes more sense to defend than to attack, namely when what you stand to lose outweighs what you can gain (this is relative to your gal/alliance as well). If there is one thing I'd like to be able to say about my stats set it's that it might make more people think about PA.