User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:40   #1
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Car commercials

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's car commercials actually advertised the car. They would tell you about the engine and tranny, steering and braking systems, interior controls and more, so the buyer could make an informed decision. Now most car commercials here consist of the car driving down some road with people going ga-ga over it as it passes, and no information about the car at all. I find this highly insulting, they are saying I'm so stupid I'll buy their product without knowing anything about it beyond it's "cool" looks. Are European commercials as lame as ours? Does anyone but me even care about the car itself beyond the outer appearance? On a side note, ask people you meet what engine their car has, most have no idea. Pathetic.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:42   #2
Lazarus

The new micra advert springs to mind immediately for some reason. It tells you some made up words and then says that the car is as "radical" as these new words. You don't even get the "people going ga ga clever cornering etc shot".
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:44   #3
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Back home in Europe we suffer the same fate. Over here in Aussie though car commercials actually tell you how big the engine is. Most of the time.
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:52   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
1. clearly the advert is supposed to get your attention and not bore you too much with details.

2. accomplishing the above does nothing if you are not looking for a car and you then end up bashing the advert.

3. if you are looking for a car and the advert catches your eye then clearly a person would research or enquire for an info-pack for more details BEFORE they part with thousands of pounds/dollars/euros.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:53   #5
Nixjim
Commander

Commercials for trucks are a little better, they at least will normally tell you what engine and tranny it has, towing and hauling capacity, and such, although they love to show them plowing through the mud or up a mountain while adviseing you not to do these things. Cars are diffenitly marketed to the brain dead though.
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 01:57   #6
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
1. clearly the advert is supposed to get your attention and not bore you too much with details.

2. accomplishing the above does nothing if you are not looking for a car and you then end up bashing the advert.

3. if you are looking for a car and the advert catches your eye then clearly a person would research or enquire for an info-pack for more details BEFORE they part with thousands of pounds/dollars/euros.
Since most cars look alike now their is not much to catch your attention there. More information in the commercial would make me for one more likely to look for further information on the one I liked
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 02:07   #7
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Cigarettes used to be advertised with slogans written by 'doctors' recommending them for 'good health'

Times change.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 02:11   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Since most cars look alike now their is not much to catch your attention there. More information in the commercial would make me for one more likely to look for further information on the one I liked
Usually the look of the car gets them more interested...

much like picking a girl in a bar.

Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 09:19   #9
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Car commercials

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's car commercials actually advertised the car. They would tell you about the engine and tranny, steering and braking systems, interior controls and more, so the buyer could make an informed decision. Now most car commercials here consist of the car driving down some road with people going ga-ga over it as it passes, and no information about the car at all. I find this highly insulting, they are saying I'm so stupid I'll buy their product without knowing anything about it beyond it's "cool" looks. Are European commercials as lame as ours? Does anyone but me even care about the car itself beyond the outer appearance? On a side note, ask people you meet what engine their car has, most have no idea. Pathetic.
Perhaps this is because the internet has made it so much easier for people to look up needed info or rant about it not being available in commercials etc.

(sigh)
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 09:23   #10
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Adverts seem pretty pointless.

It's just a bloke driving a car, who goes down a small alley or something, in most of the adverts.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 09:30   #11
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
That 'It's a Skoda, honest' ad is absolutly hillarious!
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 09:31   #12
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by mbushell
That 'It's a Skoda, honest' ad is absolutly hillarious!
Skoda's have gained 2000% in coolness over late.
Unread 31 Jan 2003, 09:51   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
It's all a psycholigical thing. Draw attention, get your brandname known under the common public, profit.
You don't want your commercial to be boring, so that people get off the couch to make some sandwiches, you want then to stay there and watch with interrest to the flashy pictures that fly over the screen, and make them remember your name.
People don't buy things they've never heard of.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote