User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Feb 2003, 22:20   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Partitioning Assistance

Ok, I want to install Linux onto my desktop PC, I'm currently running Windows ME (shudder, I know), and want to set-up a dualboot with this and suse.

Question is, what partition do I need to create? At the moment, all I have is a single FAT32 partition, I know I'll need at least one more, but what should they be? (Ext2 file system?) And would using Partition Magic be suitable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Supernova9; 12 Feb 2003 at 22:29.
Supernova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 22:31   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Partitioning Assistance

Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
Last time I looked Partition magic was highly suitable. If it's a recent distro you might want to go for ext3 instead though.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2003, 22:41   #3
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on the distribution you want to try there is most probably a partitioner during the installation.

With WinME you still have FAT so most of them can safely resize it for you and it will set all other necessary partitions up for you.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 13:49   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Most linux install routines do indeed provide access to a partitioner, but none of them i've ever heard of allow partition resizing.
Partiton Magic is your best bet - you should shrink the current partition and leave however much space you want for linux unpartitioned. The linux installer will probably walk you through partitioning the unpartitioned space. XFS is a good filesystem to choose if you have the option.

Note that partition resizing is a potentially dodgy soulution which leaves some parts of the FAT filesystem out of sync. This may result in slow access to some files, or incorrect free space reports.
Ideally, you would unpartition the drive entirely, and recreate the windows partition but smaller - however, you'd lose everything on the drive in the process so only do it if you have some way to back it up.

Unread 13 Feb 2003, 17:57   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Most linux install routines do indeed provide access to a partitioner, but none of them i've ever heard of allow partition resizing.
I believe later versions of Mandrake allow partition resizing although I cannot verify this as I never dual boot

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2003, 20:08   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Well I'm dualbooting mandrake 9.0 and i never saw options for resizing when I installed it.
This may have been because I had free space to partition though.

Unread 18 Feb 2003, 00:37   #7
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
i dual booted mandrake 8.2 and i could resize the thingys
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 13:16   #8
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
I think the fips utility would let you resize partition. It's usually located in the dosutils folder (Atleast on RedHat, Mandrake and Suse).
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 13:35   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

FIPS doesn't resize exactly, it splits.
It's also quite dangerous if you're not 100% sure what you're doing with it.

Unread 28 Feb 2003, 14:13   #10
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I believe later versions of Mandrake allow partition resizing although I cannot verify this as I never dual boot

Vaio
correct