User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Nov 2005, 12:11   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Question mobile phones

So 5-7 years after they stoped to be 'cool' I decided I need a mobile phone. Apparently they actually can be usefull. I have to admit that I know absolutly nothing on this topic, so I ask GD for advise. What should I get?
I dont need anything fancy (like a camera and all that stuff) and I dont want to spend too much money. If it is possible (and not common standard anyway, again i dont know anything about this stuff) I would like it to be able to somehow synchonize the adressbook with the contacts in my MS Outlook the way I could do with my old Palm, that would be usefull.
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 12:21   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: mobile phones

Think you can synchronize with a Sony Ericsson k700i. It's 1,5 years old now, so i think it should be rather cheap. It got a camera though, but like I said, the phone is cheap nowadays.
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 12:40   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nokia 6230i

Not a silly clam thing and works well. Battery life is good and it does have a fair few features on it. Although you might not use them its always nice to be able too should the occasion call for it. (e..g youwant to take a picture of a man lying dead in the street but forgot your camera)

etc
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 13:00   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

cameras are pretty much ubiquitous now. shame you didn't make this post last week, I found a phone on the strassenbahn and I could have stolen it and sent it to you. as it happened I handed it in.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 13:13   #5
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
cameras are pretty much ubiquitous now. shame you didn't make this post last week, I found a phone on the strassenbahn and I could have stolen it and sent it to you. as it happened I handed it in.
do you have any idea about contracts and stuff here in germany? I want one of these prepaid-contracts (and you dont get subsidised phones with them, do you?), but I dont know much more than that.
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 15:37   #6
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Maybe you could legally own the phone in a few months time. I don`t know if you have similar laws in your country; but here in the UK, if you hand something in to the police that you`ve found on the street, and it has not been claimed for six months, you can go back and claim it for your self. (someone correct me if I`m wrong here)

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 16:18   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
do you have any idea about contracts and stuff here in germany? I want one of these prepaid-contracts (and you dont get subsidised phones with them, do you?), but I dont know much more than that.
I don't think any prepaid contracts get a subsidised phone, no. you can get just the sim cards, and maybe buy a phone off ebay if you don't want to fork out much. Sadly I don't know because I am such a total luddite and don't have a "handy"

Unread 30 Nov 2005, 16:19   #8
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
Maybe you could legally own the phone in a few months time. I don`t know if you have similar laws in your country; but here in the UK, if you hand something in to the police that you`ve found on the street, and it has not been claimed for six months, you can go back and claim it for your self. (someone correct me if I`m wrong here)
yes but the odds of that are millions to one. all the owner has to do is get someone to phone it, and when the police answer say "this is my phone" and s/he gets it back. maybe I should have ransomed it.

Unread 30 Nov 2005, 16:28   #9
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Or get the number from the address book, a few other key details then get a friend to phone it or the police and say it is their phone.
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 00:10   #10
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Nokia 6230i is your best choice tbh
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 02:05   #11
wu_trax

yes, it looks nice (and if you dont know anything about something, that's the key-point ).
I went to a shop today and had a look at it, but that idiot sales-person wanted to talk me into some crappy contract and sell me some old Siemens phone (they just sold their cellphone division, because they didnt make any money with it, so how good can those phones be?), so i left
I think I'll try to get the Nokia tomorrow at some other place. Thanks everyone.
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 19:58   #12
wu_trax

no luck. they dont offer it with those prepaid-offers. i have the chocie between:
Samsung SGH-X460, -X660, -X200, -E330; Siemens C75; Motorola L6, RAZR V3, V220; Nokia 6020; Sony Ericsson K700i; X7 slider (O2) or LG C3320.
should i go with Nadar recommendation? in this case 'rather cheap' means 150€ though
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 01:42   #13
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Depends on how you want to use your handy, but check out this: https://www.easymobile.de/ and consider getting a handy from ebay or from a friend who has a spare one if you want it really cheap
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 12:37   #14
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

K700i is good but battery life is poor.

Same with the V3.

You're better off with the 6020 (although I'm not sure if you want bluetooth or not)

I haven't seen the L6 yet to comment.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 20:08   #15
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
should i go with Nadar recommendation? in this case 'rather cheap' means 150€ though
€150? Damn, that's a lot. I think we can get it for like €20 (maybe less) in Norway as long as we sign up or extend membership (not one of those where you buy call-time) with a phone company.

If you buy that phone in Norway without any membership included, the cost might be well over €150 though. Got no idea how it works in other countries.
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 20:16   #16
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Samsung d600 is free on a £30 per month contract, it comes with synchronising crap, cable, bluetooth headset, 2.0 megapixel camera, mp3 player, video, java games etc. pretty sweet
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 00:24   #17
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
€150? Damn, that's a lot. I think we can get it for like €20 (maybe less) in Norway as long as we sign up or extend membership (not one of those where you buy call-time) with a phone company.

If you buy that phone in Norway without any membership included, the cost might be well over €150 though. Got no idea how it works in other countries.
Well, apparently this seems to be kind of a prepaid-contract: I get 5€ per month for free over the next 2 years (= 120€) + 10 free sms per month or something like that. As I see it that makes the phone cost only 30€. That's not as bad as I thought at first.
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 00:44   #18
Nadar
I see you!

Try compare all the phone companies against eachother. The prices and what they offer usually varies a lot. There's memberships suiting every kind of usergroup/segment: Those who sends a lot of sms, those who talks mostly and so on.

Some might offer no monthly fee, but higher sms/call prices and vise versa. Just take a good look around before deciding so you get to pick the one fitting you best.

btw, you'd be surprised how cheap some of the smallest phone companies are (at least in Norway) compared to the already well-established companies that has been around for years/deaces.
Unread 3 Dec 2005, 02:10   #19
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

for type of phone decisions: http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml

personally i got a Siemens SL65. works fine

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote