User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Feb 2005, 00:20   #1
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Part 3] The Return of the Cookie

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...715867,00.html
Quote:
Durango - Herb Young turned the telephone off again Tuesday after it rang at 12:40 a.m.

One recent caller had told him that "you should be found dead in a ditch."

Nine out of 10 calls to his house are from "crackpots," he said, ever since a plate of cookies and a case in La Plata County Small Claims Court turned life upside down.

Since his wife, 49-year-old Wanita "Renea" Young, successfully sued two 18-year-old girls for scaring her with a late-night knock on the back door and a then-anonymous cookie drop on the porch, she and Herb have spent the last two weeks trying to defend themselves. A barrage of crank calls and hate mail and truckloads of strange packages have been aimed at their rural home just south of Durango.

Almost everyone but the magistrate has taken the girls' side in the court conflict over about $900, part of the medical bill for Renea Young's anxiety attack. The case made headlines around the world.

Advertisement

"Last week the calls were all day, every day, and all night," Herb Young said. "It's slowing down."

He estimated that one-third of the calls to his home have been from the area, but two-thirds are from all over the country.

Many strangers have made their own cookie deliveries to the Youngs, everything from elaborately wrapped and expensively stocked gift baskets to an envelope holding Oreo crumbs.

Nationally syndicated radio talk-show host Michael Gallagher sent 1,000 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to U.S. troops abroad in honor of the "Colorado Cookie Caper" and the two girls who were sued, Taylor Ostergaard and Lindsey Zilletti.

On Tuesday, the Youngs' rural mail carrier told Herb Young that she had two small truckfuls of packages for him, but they appeared to be empty boxes.

"Send them back," he said he told her. He wasn't sure how to interpret empty boxes.

"Some people have been almost pleasant and said they were just calling 'to voice my opinion,"' he said. "The flip side is that I've heard every profanity you can imagine. And people threatening to cut me up or beat me up or my wife."

One caller told the Youngs that "you are what's wrong with society."

"All this over cookies," Renea Young said.

She is so devastated, she said, that she hasn't been back to her part-time job as a Wal-Mart cashier.

"Our home is like a funeral parlor," Renea Young said. "They've robbed us of our laughter. My spirit, my soul, is damaged."

She questions whether she can continue as president of the board and director of the Durango Food Bank, a volunteer position she has held for 16 years. The charity, where co-workers say Young is a dedicated and capable leader, gives away 8,000 pounds of food a month to families in need.

"The food bank has been my passion. It would be a real loss to me," Young said. "But I wouldn't want to bring any harm to it."

She said the deluge of criticism has been hard on their 19-year-old daughter, a friend of Taylor Ostergaard's.

Herb Young says his once-bubbly daughter is now frequently in tears.

"I love Taylor," Renea Young says. "She's a super girl. She's been in my house many times. I don't know Lindsey, but I'm sure she's nice too. I never believed the girls meant any harm. It was just a prank."

In spite of this, she said, she sued for good reasons that she doesn't think have been spelled out in the media.

On July 31, between about 9:15 p.m. and 10:45 p.m., eight scattered rural families received surprise plates of homemade cookies with paper hearts that said, "Have a great night, the T and L Club." The Youngs' delivery was just after 10:30 p.m.

Renea Young was alone in her isolated country home with her daughter and ailing elderly mother. Her husband was out of town.

The girls pounded loudly on the back door and didn't answer when Renea Young called out, "Who's there?" Young said she could see only shadowy figures that ran away to a car parked outside the gate.

She was so frightened, she had an anxiety attack but thought it might be a heart attack, she said. When a sheriff's deputy came to the house, he found the cookies and concluded that no crime had been committed. But Young said she still felt ill the next day and went to the hospital.

Young soon figured out who had left the cookies and complained to Taylor's mother, Jill Ostergaard. She said Ostergaard and Lindsey's mother, Martha, offered, "even insisted" on paying almost $900 in medical bills not covered by insurance. But the months dragged on, and the families never sent the money.

"I really tried to settle this out of court four different times," Young says. "I'm not sure where it all went bad."

The Ostergaard and Zilletti families said they first waited to see a bill. Then they asked Young to sign an agreement that, with the roughly $900 paid, she would not make additional claims. Young said she was bothered by that request and the lack of trust she believed it signaled. By Dec. 30, she said, she felt that she had to go to court.

Whether the girls meant harm or not, Young told The Post, they had been responsible for frightening her family and sending her to the emergency room. She offered this analogy:

"I backed into a car in a parking lot. I didn't mean to. But I caused damage, and I had to pay for it."

Young said that if she had it to do over again, she still believes going to court was the right thing to do.

"I don't know how to change. I don't know how to compromise my principles," she said.

The Youngs' recent attempts to tell their side on radio talk shows or national television have been disasters, the couple said. The two girls they sued have been overwhelmed by messages of support. But the Youngs said they have been attacked in interviews.

The Ostergaard and Zilletti families have said they feel bad that the Youngs have been harassed.

"We hope people will stop," Jill Ostergaard said.

Taylor's father, Dick Ostergaard, was scheduled to appear in court today over a restraining order he filed Feb. 4 against Herb Young for allegedly making harassing calls to the Ostergaard home.

Then, the families hope, the cookie war will be over.
NO YOU STUPID ****, IT WASN'T A PRANK, IT WAS A NICE GESTURE
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 00:32   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Part 3] The Return of the Cookie

just quote the ****ing link in future.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 00:41   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
That would prevent me from executing my plan for world domination through wearing out your scrollwheel.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 00:46   #4
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Posting the article is better than posting the link
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 02:28   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
No, that's an inferior internet paradigm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Renea Young was alone in her isolated country home with her daughter and ailing elderly mother.
She's alone in a crowd.

Deep man, deep.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 06:23   #6
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The world has such big problems
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 07:22   #7
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

her 'explanation' just makes her sound even more retarded
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 09:01   #8
Another Slayer
Jungle King

Another Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant future

if having cookies delivered at night sent the woman to ER with a panic attack, i wonder how many times she has been there since; with random people phoning up threatening to cut her and her family up...
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 10:40   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thats quite amusing, in a sort of sick 'hah, the bastards deserve it' kind of way
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 14:26   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The Ostergaard and Zilletti families said they first waited to see a bill. Then they asked Young to sign an agreement that, with the roughly $900 paid, she would not make additional claims. Young said she was bothered by that request and the lack of trust she believed it signaled. By Dec. 30, she said, she felt that she had to go to court.
Genius at work, people.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 14:40   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Greed at work actually i`d say. Thats entirely what motivated her to sue and she deserves what she gets.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 14:43   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Greed at work actually i`d say. Thats entirely what motivated her to sue and she deserves what she gets.
I'm well aware of what was going on. It was the amazingly devious attempt of putting her story that way that I was referring to.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 14:43   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the Young's side with this one. I'll start by saying there's nothing wrong with delivering cookies and it was a perfectly harmless thing to do, but they could have thought it through better.

It would be reasonable to expect some people may not appreciate the nighttime invasion, if I were to go knock on some strangers door late at night I wouldn't be too surprised at all if they pulled a gun on me.

Yes we live in a paranoid world, that's not a good thing, but that's the way things are right now.

The actions they took resulted in a hefty medical bill, it's not unreasonable to expect at least some of that to be paid by the other family, the fact the Young's recieved nothing after a period is grounds enough to take legal action.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 15:04   #14
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
it's not unreasonable to expect at least some of that to be paid by the other family
The families of the two girls offered to pay it, and asked it would seem for protection against a lawsuit after they paid them, for extra damages.
If it was about the bills being paid, Young would have accepted. She didnt and proceeded to sue, hoping to get more money in the way of damages.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 15:13   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
The families of the two girls offered to pay it, and asked it would seem for protection against a lawsuit after they paid them, for extra damages.
If it was about the bills being paid, Young would have accepted. She didnt and proceeded to sue, hoping to get more money in the way of damages.
I'd be wary of signing any such contract no matter how innocent it looked.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 15:33   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

dont forget this is america - land of the lawsuit
a contract to prevent them suing after paying for them is imo a sensible thing.
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 16:17   #17
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
"All this over cookies," Renea Young said.
Yeah because it's the cookies and not the court case that people care about. It was you that made "cookies" into a big issue, you ****ing shit.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 16:22   #18
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

didnt she say that the girls would have had to climb fences and cross fields to get to her house, now it appears they arrived in a car....
Unread 19 Feb 2005, 16:26   #19
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i would like for the people here to just take a minute to realise how ****ed up the Young families life has become*

*and laugh like what i do
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 03:24   #20
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

i'm with the youngs.
only because it's been taken way too far and they don't deserve the prank calls and mail.
i mean come on, it's a stupid court case and to whoever said to the youngs that they're the reason the world is so bad i'd said 'take a look at yourself you ****ing hypocrite'
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 10:43   #21
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

heh, shits and giggles tbh
Unread 20 Feb 2005, 11:54   #22
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
i'm with the youngs.
only because it's been taken way too far and they don't deserve the prank calls and mail.
a hostile reaction doesn't actually justify their actions, you know.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote