User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Oct 2004, 13:03   #1
penta

Xandathrii fleet

Any tips on fleet composition for the Xandathrii race?
Unread 17 Oct 2004, 13:20   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Xandathrii fleet

Build lots of fi's and co.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2004, 23:59   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

hey, that's what i'm doing
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 01:47   #4
Sizzla

Sizzla is an unknown quantity at this point

and why build fighters and corvettes? are they the cheapest for every 100 ships they kill ?
Sizzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 08:03   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yes and no.

1) they are fast - so when you attack its far more difficult for a defender to get help from his/her alliance. Less defence = greater chance of successful attack.
2) They are fast - so defending allies is easier as you have a longer window of opportunity to launch some help
3) they arent too bad at killing and their armour isnt too bad for Xandatrhii.
4) having all your attacking ships in 1 class makes it alot harder to kill and/or subvert you - as each unit provides flak for the other.

but the main advantages are in the ETA.

Unread 24 Oct 2004, 08:09   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Yes and no.

1) they are fast - so when you attack its far more difficult for a defender to get help from his/her alliance. Less defence = greater chance of successful attack.
2) They are fast - so defending allies is easier as you have a longer window of opportunity to launch some help
3) they arent too bad at killing and their armour isnt too bad for Xandatrhii.
4) having all your attacking ships in 1 class makes it alot harder to kill and/or subvert you - as each unit provides flak for the other.

but the main advantages are in the ETA.

1] - true
2] - so you aren`t going to be building bolts and bombers which`ll be very important in this round?
3] - true but the armour in general for xand is a bloody joke :/
5] - even though that`s true, it still takes the same x amount of def to make the roids your going to cap overly expensive, killing everything is just a bonus, although apparently, these days pa is filled with people who land no matter what anyway :/. Furthermore, you`re limiting your range of targets by using 1 roidfleet.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 12:00   #7
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Xan biggest advantage is the equal costs and not have to worry about trading with the fund and losing cash.
Also they can target every ship by only building up to Medium class vessels, I don't think any other race can do that. So you basically build lots of Fighters/Corvettes/Frigates and a token group of other ships for more effective defence.

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2004, 18:36   #8
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to say that it seems broadswords are going to be vital defensive ships... their initiative 3 means they shoot before cutters (And also get their shots off against cathaar ships), which in turn gives your lancers time to shoot any zik CO heading your way. Atm my fleet is:

Vsharrak Fighter 1000 Daeraith Pulsar 2700
Lyvidian Sentinel 1000 Culdassa Arrowhead 400
Andvordian Bomber 100 Tzen Bolt Thrower 125
Hysperian Lancer 75 Dagger 1500

I'm probably going to halt construction of arrowheads, and am definitely stopping building vsh now. Also, I doubt I'll eventually get round to building a particularly great number of fireblades either. Atm my main attack tactic is simply the pulsar/sentinel/dagger raid on terrans, though later in the round I should have some sabres to try slightly more interesting tactics out

Though, to be fair, it seems that xans only really stand a chance of hitting terrans successfully at all :/
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 11:51   #9
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

ya can never have enuf vsharrack's...

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:17   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
1] - true
2] - so you aren`t going to be building bolts and bombers which`ll be very important in this round?
3] - true but the armour in general for xand is a bloody joke :/
5] - even though that`s true, it still takes the same x amount of def to make the roids your going to cap overly expensive, killing everything is just a bonus, although apparently, these days pa is filled with people who land no matter what anyway :/. Furthermore, you`re limiting your range of targets by using 1 roidfleet.
2] Yes, i am building TBT to prevent BA ziks, though atm i'm seriously considering not building bombers - this way i'm open to CR attacks and thus i should only get Cath incoming . also, CR is fairly easy to defend against with other races. Or at least they seem to be.
3] I agree with you there.
5!?] Whilst that's true, most people have some stuff that will target FI, CO, FR, DE etc. So if you send a little bit of everything, more people are able to send those units - ie a greater %age of their fleet - to defend against you. If most players only have 20% of their resources against FI, they can only send 20% of their fleet against you. Better than sending 40%, which they would do if you also sent CO .

Mind you, i'm thinking about how to use a FR attack fleet now. FI losses are starting to become annoying :\
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:19   #11
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i meant 4] rather than 5] etc typo probably.

Cr attacks are hard to defend if there`s plenty of Widows, Scorpions, Tarants and Roaches present:)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2004, 23:34   #12
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithess
Though, to be fair, it seems that xans only really stand a chance of hitting terrans successfully at all :/
Without fake-fleet magic this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
ya can never have enuf vsharrack's...
Vsh are useless against terran.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 10:24   #13
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

He meant as defence against ziks probably. Though i prefer lancers for that (with broadswords to stop the cutters).
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 18:58   #14
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Build lots of fi's and co.

/me pets his cutlass's

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 21:30   #15
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
He meant as defence against ziks probably. Though i prefer lancers for that (with broadswords to stop the cutters).
Indeed, the vsh sucks. Its terrible armour means that cutlass sub it extermely easily.

I can't wait to wheel out my broadswords to join my lancers, which would give me a decent chance against those damn ziks that keep attacking me
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 17:18   #16
Suggestionperso

Suggestionperso is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an unique suggestion: why can't a Xan player build Vsharrak Fighters, Pulsars, Andvordian Bombers, Tzen Bolt Throwes, Cryveli Broadswoard, and Dreadnoughts ONLY...thus, the vsharraks and pulsars won't have anything to target if they have been subverted...I realize a Zik with a corvette roiding fleet can easily steal roids, but they can't do any dmg to any of your ships or buildings this way! The other problem with my suggestion is if you have enough Broadswords to take out all your FRs, then the Zik player can send enough Pirates to destroy your entire FR (assuming you DON'T send away your fleet). Besides these two disadvangates, I believe it is a pretty strong offensive fleet (and with stealth/cloak ship capabilites)....for example, you can send Dreadnoughts, Andvordian Bombers, and Sabres to attack a Zik fleet. If the Zik do not have enough Pirates to subvert all ur Dreadnoughts, then the non-subverted dreadnoughts will destroy all his corsairs and he can't destroy any of your frigates; if the frigates are subverted, so what, they have nothing to target . Or someone can send two waves of attacks, the first wave consisting of nothing but a lot of broadswords and dreadnoughts (to take out all the corsairs) and the second wave, consisiting nothing but Andvordian Bombers, Tzen Bolt Throwers, and Sabres! (Keep in mind Ziks and Caths cannot destroy BS and CR ships, this can be used to the Xan's advantage.) Futhermore, this fleet has an init of 3 with the exception of the Andvordian Bombers and Tzen Bolt Throwers and the pods (which cannot be helped). Against Cath, you can send in two waves of ships: first wave: Dreadnoughts (to take out all their anti-fighters) and Cryveli Broadswoards (might as well do more dmg since Caths can't destroy BS and CR ships), second wave: Vsharrk fighters, Pulsars, and Daggers to maxmize dmg (and there is no anti-fighter left to do anything!). Against other Xans, just make sure you have enough Cryveli Broadswoards to take out all their frigates (and enough Dreadnoughts if you want to destroy all their fighters). Against Terrs, make sure you have lots and lots of Pulsars, FI roid ships, and vsharraks as well as Dreadnoughts (they probably don't have a lot of Gryphons, but massed destroyers instead). Another positive thing about this fleet is that it is an excellent alliance defending fleet due to its low init. However, I also do realize that the ETA time for the Cryveli Broadswoards and Dreadnoughts are high, but the cloaked advantage, should compensate for that! *This is all based on the assumptions that Terrs don't build too many harpies and gryphons, Caths don't build too many spiders, Ziks don't build too many corsairs, nobody defends this person, the person don't send his ships away, or the person doesn’t build a massive number of ships prior to your ships arriving there* I realize that are probably lots of flaws in my theory, so feel free to comment (and I wanted to provide an alternative prespective of the Xan fleet-basically it calls for an elimination of all Xan corvettes and destroyers and their inits are 4&5 respectivately, this greatly reduces what other races can target)!

Last edited by Suggestionperso; 31 Oct 2004 at 17:44.
Suggestionperso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 18:02   #17
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

I haven't actually looked at the stats for this round but jugding by experience, I seriously doubt cloak advantage makes up for eta +1.

Even without knowing what you're sending it should be fairly easily to figure out that max eta contains bs/cr by looking at your own fleet.

Also it's a very huge waste using 2 fleets on one target for only one tick of roiding.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 19:07   #18
Suggestionperso

1) You don't have to send all your BS/CR fleet and can add some pod ships to confuse the enemy. For example, if you have 200 dreadnoughts, 200 broadsword, and 200 sabres and you send 200 ships to attack a Xan, they naturally assume you sent some sabres to steal their roids(but what if you sent 50 dreadnoughts and 150 broadswords for the sole purpose of destroying their ships instead of taking roids!). By assuming what your Xan attacker sends, the defender may pay a very heavy price for this. BTW, a Xan player should have a very diverse offensive fleet (to confuse the enemy) and have LOTS of wave distorters (21+ wave distorters MININUM!).
2) Using 2 fleets can really pay off if you manage to destroy ALOT of ships and gain lots of roids as well. (First fleet destroys the enemy and second fleet takes their roids, if done properly, your score will greatly increase!)

Last edited by Suggestionperso; 31 Oct 2004 at 19:22.
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 19:13   #19
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

What difference does it make if it's a few BS/CR or many BS/CR, you still end up with +1 eta.
And everyone expects pods, I doubt pods would at all be any good to cause 'confusion' (except for fake-podding, but that's besides this discussion)

Destroying fleets might be good in wars, but I'm quite confident most people involved in major wars are more than capable enough to sort out what ships to keep at home and what to send away, even if xan is cloaked or not. Jugding from your own fleet it's relatively simple to figure out what's coming your way as with these stats, there aren't that many different strategies to use.

Unread 31 Oct 2004, 19:15   #20
Suggestionperso

Reread my thread, I made some changes. Also, please take a look at the rd. 12 ship stats before you make any further comments.
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 19:54   #21
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suggestionperso
your score will greatly increase!)
heh, actually, if it works, your score will increase significantly less than with a normal raid.... killing all his ships before you land lowers his value when you cap roids, hence less experience.

experience is good.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2004, 20:05   #22
Linkie
fanboy

Even after only a quick glance at the stats I can see that the changes aren't significant enough to change the basics of the game, so all my points still stands.
The only change after the super-overpowering of zik after they were already decent enough last round is that teaming with zik now opens new options if one person escorts you with defence ships.

Unread 31 Oct 2004, 23:20   #23
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tis
heh, actually, if it works, your score will increase significantly less than with a normal raid.... killing all his ships before you land lowers his value when you cap roids, hence less experience.

experience is good.
Am I the only one seeing a problem here?
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 09:14   #24
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Am I the only one seeing a problem here?
You mean something silly as running fleet for killwave? (leaving behind only a few suicidal clippers to sub the pods ofc)

-----
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 13:02   #25
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
You mean something silly as running fleet for killwave? (leaving behind only a few suicidal clippers to sub the pods ofc)
Zik and especially Cathaar gain more XP than Terran and Xandathrii by design.
Unread 1 Nov 2004, 13:08   #26
General Martok
used to register

Oh that... I was thinking in another direction apparently.

-----