User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Jun 2004, 23:14   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
What makes this round the suck...

I am not the only one having my round totally ruined because of random free accounts currently taking up half the spots in my gal. Whever we exile one, a new one exiled from somehwree else takes the spot. They are most likely farms. Hardly being used at all except for initiating roids. Only making the active players in my gal having to defend them all the time, until we eventually gives up as we get nothing back from it. Also, a few top gals managed to abused the "intelligent" admins to make private gals. I suggested in advance to the round that this would be a problem. But no. PA admins never seem able to get their heads down to player level and see what its like. They keep doing stuff without asking the players. It goes wrong every time.

Now, I decided to pay for this one guy in my gal, as he was atleast being active and trying.
Today he got closed. he liked the game and had his friends signup from his place. He was out of protection for a few hours max before the l33t multihunters with teh real powah got to him. How can he possibly have interacted with them?
Clearly if he was cheating he would not sign up several accounts from the same IP. Real cheaters use methods to hide such things. Is this the way to threat new players? And we wonder why nebies are rare? WTF. I bought 12 credits this round. Trying to make people get their friends to play. This is what happens...

There is so many stupid things about this that makes me wanna cry. What do we have to do to make admins make this a fair even game. Supposedly random with buddypacks. But its not the same for everyone. Said rules bout interaction. Doesnt count in all cases.

I just think its sad :/

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jun 2004, 23:20   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: What makes this round the suck...

he woudlnt have been closed unless there was reason to

ive checked up on this person. he was closed for having multiple accounts, and from the report which was done on him , rightfully so imo
the one you upgraded was created last
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 00:17   #3
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough

Since when have admins started to explain in public why someone has been closed?
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 00:24   #4
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Clearly if he was cheating he would not sign up several accounts from the same IP. Real cheaters use methods to hide such things.
a) Not everyone on the internet even knows about the concept of IPs and address tracking. It's possible he didn't realise it'd be so easy to find him.
b) For those that do understand, they can always claim their 'brothers' play. It's not like anyone has ever gotten away with that, eh Phil? :)
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 02:35   #5
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

Yeah I think the pa team own us an explanation to why they alowed some ppl create "private" gals. That has really screwed up this round. Ignoring that I find this round to be great fun tho!
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 02:51   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

we didnt, this is a myth some people just love to believe purely because they want to
the gals you are (once again ) referring to GOT LUCKY with the buddy codes. i , and spinner have explained this on the other thread

xtothez we do our best to discriminate between genuine family members, and ones just claiming it, the no-interaction advisory we give is one way we have to try and stem the tide. family members can interact if they want, but its at their own risk and shouldnt come crying to us if they`re closed

and guran, im not discussing the details of the case, merely the generalities
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 03:13   #7
Stealth
Potentate

Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
But no. PA admins never seem able to get their heads down to player level and see what its like.
I know what you mean. I've made about 3 or so suggestions that most people seem to agree with, only to have admins ignore it. I've also seen this happen to many other people. I wonder why they even HAVE a suggestion forum.

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 04:54   #8
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
we didnt, this is a myth some people just love to believe purely because they want to
the gals you are (once again ) referring to GOT LUCKY with the buddy codes. i , and spinner have explained this on the other thread
They sure *look* like private gals in more than one aspect.

Luck is like any other factor, it can be influenced after all :/

Nova
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 05:17   #9
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
I wonder why they even HAVE a suggestion forum.

Agreed, we are forever telling PA Team what we want, and being ignored.

I know Gal Status being brought back has been suggested since its implementation in rnd 10.

yet still nothing.

please listen to the community.

b4 u lose the few players u still have.
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 15:07   #10
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
he woudlnt have been closed unless there was reason to

ive checked up on this person. he was closed for having multiple accounts, and from the report which was done on him , rightfully so imo
the one you upgraded was created last
Yeh possibly I was too hasty to spend my last credit on somoene I hoped would make the gal have a chance of survival. But can you tell me 100% sure that it wasnt friends signing up from his house, instead of him having multiple accounts? I mean if he did try to get his friends to play, its an awful reward to delete him.

And if he did cheat, he probably created several accounts either to get a good gal eventually or until he found someone as intelligent as me who paid him

Anyway. The main problem here is the extremely unbalanced gals... Something must be done. And when will admins listen to suggestions?? Like WILL gal status come back? Will it? You cannot possibly have read the suggestion forums the last year without seeing any complaining bout it...

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 15:09   #11
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

oh on more thing...

What basis do you delete the account on?? I just dont understand how a planet in protection can interact :/ Yes same ip etc. Didnt think that was reason enough. I paid for it. I want to know. If you can proove to me he is a cheater, ill stfu. But atm ive only lost money on what seems to be "a bit too good multihunter tool".

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 15:43   #12
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

If I was a PA Team member, I'd give you your credit back.
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 18:37   #13
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
Yeah I think the pa team own us an explanation to why they alowed some ppl create "private" gals. That has really screwed up this round. Ignoring that I find this round to be great fun tho!

Spinner gets the blame fair and square for this one. He was warned many many times that this is what would happen with the current set up.

Aparantly he didnt believe it. :/
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jun 2004, 19:51   #14
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
If I was a PA Team member, I'd give you your credit back.
Well, The_Fish thanx but this really isnt about the credit. I bought 12 so obviously I havent got huge economical problems

This is about the current gal setup. And what happens when I try to survive in the most unbalanced gal system ever in PA. And also what might be a guy trying to make his friends play the game, and gets deleted for it(Which I am not saying I am right. But I want it prooved, as my guess is that its all due to one ip)

I did pay for the acc, It isnt mine but id still want to know why I wasted my money.

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 12:57   #15
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

can't say if they still do or not, however the pateam certainly used to pay attention to the suggestions forums.

however, there's a difference to paying attention to, and implimenting everything that someone says sounds cool.

99% of the threads made on these boards are made without any kind of game play justification. i'm sorry, but "impliment this because it'll be cool" just doesn't cut it. it'll probably get the suggestion thought about, so that it can be looked at in terms of in game effects, but if you cba to post that kind of thing with your suggestion then odds are it'll not be taken as seriously as something that comes ready packaged with reasons to impliment it.

when you get right down to it, there are a lot of suggestions that turn up which are simply unworkable. take the classic death star example for instance. loads of people suggested this, and it's be lame. take old thieves and pirates comming back. loads of people seem to want this, but they're not brought back because they were, to put it mildly, overpowered. all the posts neglect to address these problems, and therefore they're going to be put down as problems and the ideas ignored. if someone were to suggest a way of implimenting a death star that was fun and added to the game then we might see them.

also, there's only a limited amout of coder time. as far as i know spinner's the only one coding at the moment, and didn't he go find another job or something? therefore, i can't see there being that much coding time available. given that, things have to be done in a prioritiesed fashion, and shockingly the things that add to the game, rather than reworking the graphics a little, seem to have been more important

if you want to complain about that, justify your case, don't just whinge about how your pet idea didn't get implimented, so the pateam doesn't listen or care.

on the thread's subject, if you paid for the guy's account why not ask him for the closure evidence? afaik the multi hunters only give it to the account owner (fair enough imo), so wouldn't it be more fruitful to ask him for it than to ask those who're not going to give it to you.

i seem to remember a thread by spinner many moons ago, in which he mentioned that someone in his gal had been cheating, and he's not believed zeus at all untill he'd sene the evidence, and then it'd been blatant. just because it seems unlikely they cheated, doesn't make it impossible, so i'd go with looking at all the evidence before you start worrying.

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 15:57   #16
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

To start with i agree with The_Fish, someone like Jonas trying to help and get new players into the game shouldnt be punished like this, he deserves his credit back, as he will and has used it for the benefit of PA.

And about the exiling. I totally agree, it went from one joke to another. First it started off allowing people to make private type galaxies, but putting people in the biggest galaxy with a space. And now it has gone from one extreme to another, by putting exiles into one of the smallest galaxies. Which is death to any active planet.

Aside from the point that this now prevents my galaxy from ever getting any new planets, which seems to be a huge error to me. It is far more painful to see all my initially unlucky alliance friends getting put into a worse galaxy every time they exile. With the code as it is, it is impossible to get into a galaxy worth being in for an active player.

Exiling should clearly be totally random, between every single open space in every galaxy. Which at least gives people a small chance to get into a good galaxy.

I am loosing my faith in PA totally. First this, a simple and predictable situation. Was totally missed and I wont even go into the XP formula......All i can say, is please listen to the players PA Team. We find the bugs, we point them out, as we are the people who exploit them. We know how to do it, so we know when its going to happen. All you need to do is listen and not claim 'it wont happen' 'people wouldnt go that far' 'its just luck'.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 16:21   #17
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

mist a decent gal status is possible surely?
a slightly updated version of the old style gal status would be perfect.
we pay for this game yet at the moment we get very little/no say in the game. :/
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 17:47   #18
Precursors

Precursors is an unknown quantity at this point

PA team have their "private gal" in 1:1
I would suggest them to make a change once and have their own planets in random gals next round and see what other players suffer
See what you can do then
Precursors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 18:36   #19
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precursors
PA team have their "private gal" in 1:1
I would suggest them to make a change once and have their own planets in random gals next round and see what other players suffer
See what you can do then
Rofl. Like anyone in 1:1 has ever had a chance to gain a decent score. Yes, they have a gal where most people login every day. But don't think they can have a normal roidratio without huge incomming. Or a day without anyone trying to covop them.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jun 2004, 19:27   #20
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future
Exclamation Re: What makes this round the suck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
Rofl. Like anyone in 1:1 has ever had a chance to gain a decent score. Yes, they have a gal where most people login every day. But don't think they can have a normal roidratio without huge incomming. Or a day without anyone trying to covop them.

Maybe the should use fakenicks next round ;-) everyone knows that you dont take your IrcNickname as planetname they need mentoring!

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2004, 19:40   #21
Precursors

I was just trying to make a point that they should try and see what an average player feels like when playing this game in a completely inactive galaxy (some of which you might have upgraded)
Unread 30 Jun 2004, 19:43   #22
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

lol, PA Team do need mentoring
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 09:07   #23
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

lol

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 12:17   #24
Phil^
Insomniac

the point of 1:1 is also to be a point of contact besides if we werent in 1:1 , i pity the poor sods who would be
at the moment there are about 5k ships incoming on 1:1
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 14:30   #25
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

only 5k?
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 15:40   #26
Phil^
Insomniac

at the time i checked yes it was quite light compaired to what it is usually
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 16:49   #27
Precursors

you are having fun aren't you?
Unread 1 Jul 2004, 17:41   #28
Stealth
Potentate

Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the point of 1:1 is also to be a point of contact besides if we werent in 1:1 , i pity the poor sods who would be
at the moment there are about 5k ships incoming on 1:1
Nah, everyone knows we only attack 1:1 because it has the PA Team

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 01:40   #29
Fakhiri

Fakhiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Short story:

We used to be a bunch of people at work playing together and man was it fun. We defended, attacked and made "evil" strategic plans to conquer the PA universe. I remember calling up coworkers late at night begging for defense. One time I even canceled a weekly meeting (sorry boss!) because of massive incoming of nastiness on my planet .... and I managed to fight them off . Friends at work and at war !. We played both from work and from home. From work we were all behind a firewall using the same IP. Of course we were never closed down, but this was way back in R6 and 7.

This scenario would not be possible today, and I believe that this is what finally will break the back of PA. Why oh WHY! is it so important to close down a few multis when you are very effectively destroying the fun times families, friends and colleagues once had? WHY is this multihunting so important? Has it become some sort of powertrip for the hunters... it looks like it.

I don’t have any conclusion or answers, just remembering what PA was like ... and dreaming of the good ole' times.
Fakhiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 19:08   #30
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit puzzled at the exile system and on how it works. I hear all these small planets getting into decent galaxies, yet in the past 7 exiles in the past week, I've never wound up in a gal bigger than 1 mil
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 19:30   #31
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a question of luck. Chances to land in a good gal are very small. Try to exile when you notice a lot of free spots in large galaxies. You can use pilkara to search for that.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2004, 20:57   #32
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

I signed up with a mate, only the two of us active in the galaxy so I never logged in again and will probbaly never return to PA - but I guess I'm the type of player that people would prefer not to see playing.

By the way Jonas, I rmember talking to you about this kind of thing in #mentors where you ridiculed me more or less I was slagging off the PA 'hard attitudes' towards new players who might or might not be cheating ... you told me to stfu etc.

So yeh, this thread is mucho amusing for me.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote