User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:31   #1
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So, my car went in for its MOT...

And I'm told I need a new fuel tank,
£380

that's nearly twice as much as the car's worth

Sooo... I need a new car.
For those that don't know - my car was a VW polo of the same age as me.

Please GD - recommend me a car. I like VW's, I want efficiency, reliability, cheap-to-run, cheap-to-buy. I don't care about performance (if it's a good performer then that's a bonus) And I need one quite quickly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:33   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: So, my car went in for its MOT...

205, had one for a bit (before i crashed it), liked it a lot - bit of a squeeze for legs as long as mine, like, but liked it all the same.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:36   #3
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

I just walked around on one of those car-parks that feature a lot of vehicles for sale and picked the cheapest one.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:40   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What do people think of these that I found on AutoTrader -
Quote:
1997 VOLKSWAGEN Polo Diesel, P reg.
long MoT and Tax, very good runner, 2 lady owners.. £999 . ono.
Quote:
VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.9 Diesel, P reg.
slight dent on drivers side rear wing, excellent runner, very reliable, Cat C, be quick, bargain at only. £995 . ono
Quote:
1995 VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.3, N reg.
56000 miles, hatchback, new shape, metallic red, airbag, 2 lady owners, service history, taxed & MoT, very reliable bargain. £985
They look pretty good to me...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:48   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My Polo passed its MOT

Edit: about yours though.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:51   #6
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

All quite reasonable. The two diesel ones would depend on the mileage but if your not after performance then you will save money with them in the long run.

The petrol one also sounds quite good as 56k is not a lot for a 10 yr old car. Also, 2 lady owners suggests it may still have a little 'go' left in it.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 12:58   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

yeah i was about to ask the milage on the '97 one.

the first or the last one look fine to me.

edit : Actually, while we're on the subject I need a car too :/
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 13:20   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Get a Japanese car.
Runs like a rising sun.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 14:17   #9
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Ok Ste i am guessing your budget is a grand. For that you could get a mk 2 VW Golf. They are very reliable cars. They are well built and can run happily even with a high milage. Think of it as a polo upgrade . Parts are cheap.

(you can pick up good ones for 600+)
Madina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 14:20   #10
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Aren't they a slightly higher insurance group though or is that unlikely to make too much difference?

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 14:22   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
Ok Ste i am guessing your budget is a grand. For that you could get a mk 2 VW Golf. T
Is that around the K reg era?
Ste - if so, get a GTi version (depending on cost of course).
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 14:26   #12
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Mk 2 are the ones that look like http://www.macnic.freeserve.co.uk/images/mk2gl.jpg. I know mk 2 is G as thats what mine was. The insurance wasnt that much for me and i had a 3dr mk 2 golf 1.8 GTi (when i was 18) that was with Norwich Union with pass plus and i had never made a claim and it cost me £1100 a year fully comp.
Madina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:04   #13
Ste
Bored

well, i got a quick quote on the 1.9 diesel and it was only £50 more than it would be with my current 1.1 polo.
I'm guessing it should stay around the £350 mark for a mk 2.

I've been offered a G reg polo for £500 from the garage, only 55,000 miles, 1 litre, good runner, metallic blue, blah blah blah.

I was also told that parts for diesel cars are quite expensive...
I only do about 5000 miles a year, would a diesel be worth it?

I'm going to get a second opinion on the MOT, I don't trust mechanics and I'm pretty sure the fuel tank wasn't leaking before I took it in.
The MOT thing says "in my opinion, the vehicle is dangerous to drive"

I've got it booked in with a friend of the family in Nottingham for thursday. So long as it gets me there...

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:08   #14
Stew
Made of Twigs

£350 for insurance?!?!

Mine was £1200 last year (Endsleigh were about £200 cheaper than the others). This year with a years no claims and going over 21, it went down to £800.

Anyway, good luck with it, and yes, get a second opinion
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:10   #15
Ste
Bored

4 years no claims. not fully comp.

oh and thanks!

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:38   #16
Ste
Bored

Quote:
1991 H Reg VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.8 GTi
3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 131,200 miles, Metallic Green. Adjustable seats, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Central locking, Cloth upholstery, Head restraints, Metallic paintwork, Sunroof. Insurance Group:14, Available at £995
or
Quote:
1994 VOLKSWAGEN Golf TDi GL 5
Door, M reg. 98000 miles, in red, 12 months MoT, CD, e/w, e/s, c/l, PAS, alloys, very good condition. £995 . ono
or
Quote:
1994 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.4 Match 3dr Hatchback,
3 Doors, Manual, 3 Door Hatchback, Petrol, . M Reg.3dr,9 mth MOT, 4mth Tax, Power assisted steering,Alloy Wheels,radio Cass,Good condition,Cheap insurance and tax. £995
What do you think?

Last edited by Ste; 21 Mar 2005 at 16:44.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:43   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

that mileage makes me

but apart from that the latter seems
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:44   #18
Ste
Bored

the insurance is pretty damn high too. group 14! what about the other two?

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 16:44   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3

but apart from that the latter seems
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:23   #20
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I got my car from a car auction. This is the best way if you know cars well, and if you don't, do what I did and find someone who does, and get them to go with you (knowing cars well meaning someone in the industry, not someone who watches top gear every week).

I got a Rover 214 (1997) with 50k miles on the clock last Summer. It needs £320 work doing on it now (7 months later), and other than that, it's only been the standard maintenance (tyres and a bit of coolant and oil).

It is worth about £2.2k to £2.5k, and I paid £1k for it plus £100 indemnity (covers you in case it is a stolen car and various other problems that could feasibly occur with a car from auction). It had just passed its MOT.

Total spent in 7 months: £1.5k and it's worth about £1k more than that. Obviously, if your budget is less, you can get cheaper cars, the costs are scaleable. I got mine on the first night I went too, so it was quick. It is the best way to get a car providing you have someone with the necessary knowledge to help you out.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:31   #21
Ste
Bored

i've heard it's a bit hit or miss though as the cars are sold as seen.
Basically if it breaks down on the way home you're screwed, with cheaper cars that's more likely to happen.
Although it sounds like a good way of getting rid of my car...

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:33   #22
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

get the diesel, it may cost you a bit more for fuel but you should get a lot more mileage for your money
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:47   #23
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
get the diesel, it may cost you a bit more for fuel but you should get a lot more mileage for your money
And diesels tend to be last a lot longer too, and are more reliable (I believe).
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:48   #24
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

True.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 17:58   #25
Another Slayer
Jungle King

Another Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant future

Wishing you luck with the retest.

Hope you don’t have to buy a new one, that polo has a certain charm.

Even if the tank is busted, wouldn’t it be better to spend £350 fixing it up than spending £1000 on a new one? Assuming there’s nothing else wrong (or about to go wrong)?
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 18:03   #26
Ste
Bored

well, seeing as it's not worth anything, and I guess I could do with a new car eventually anyway, I might as well spend a few hundred more and have a car that lasts for another 4 years...

I'm hoping that the retest says that they can repair it for a lot less than the quoted price...
but i'm not feeling too confident

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 18:13   #27
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I intend to build a car in the next year.

I have no idea where to start, but I think it'll be fun. My dad did it when he was my age, so maybe it could be some kind of father-son bonding thing.

Get a Capri Ste! They're shit inside, but sexy on the outside! Like a prostitute
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 18:17   #28
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

While we are recommending cars, I need some acquiring a first car type advice!

My budget is about £1500-2000 (not inc insurance), and i want something thats cheapish to run and won't break often.

The what-car site advises a corsa, which i know isn't the greatest car in the world, but i did learn in one, and the fuel econony is like 2x the polos (which i also looked at)

help!
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 19:33   #29
Ste
Bored

VW's for reliability

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 19:39   #30
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Look at Seat too. Theyre cheaper and sportier rebadged VW's.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 19:39   #31
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Clios are remarkably reliable as well, as are Saxos. Any of that calibre of car will do you just fine as they're all fairly inexpensive to run and cheap on insurance.

Fiestas (the older ones at least) have a tendency to fk up as does anything along the lines of Suzuki/Kia/Nissan etc. (shit little cars basically)

Unread 21 Mar 2005, 20:11   #32
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
i've heard it's a bit hit or miss though as the cars are sold as seen.
Basically if it breaks down on the way home you're screwed, with cheaper cars that's more likely to happen.
Although it sounds like a good way of getting rid of my car...
Bless Akerlof's 'Market for Lemons'.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 20:22   #33
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
While we are recommending cars, I need some acquiring a first car type advice!

My budget is about £1500-2000 (not inc insurance), and i want something thats cheapish to run and won't break often.

The what-car site advises a corsa, which i know isn't the greatest car in the world, but i did learn in one, and the fuel econony is like 2x the polos (which i also looked at)

help!
In the UK, the 1L Corsa is the cheapest car to insure, so it is a good one for the 'budget' user from the insurance point of view too.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 20:30   #34
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
In the UK, the 1L Corsa is the cheapest car to insure, so it is a good one for the 'budget' user from the insurance point of view too.
bizzarely, all my insurance quotes are the same, regardless of the size of the engine (1-1.4 that i tried with anyway),

min ~ 600
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 20:42   #35
Bashar
Idle Git

Crikey, that is really odd, and not at all in line with the insurance industries standard policy of 'squeeze the buggers for every penny we can get away with'. It is the cheapest car to insure though, or so I was told.
Unread 21 Mar 2005, 21:30   #36
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

yeah, and its not the same company each time either, i'm using the autotrader thing that searches like 40.
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 00:34   #37
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Look at Seat too. Theyre cheaper and sportier rebadged VW's.
Do not listen to this man. My friend has one and it is the ugliest, loudest, slowest, least reliable, least comfortable car I have ever had the displeasure of riding in.

Please help put this company out of business.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2005, 01:16   #38
Ste
Bored

Quote:
yeah, and its not the same company each time either, i'm using the autotrader thing that searches like 40.
try endsleigh, they're usually the cheapest.
Norwich Union are pretty good too.

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:22   #39
Ste
Bored

I got my second MOT and it passed. No mention of the fuel tank at all.

Needed some work on the wheel bearings and on the handbrake though. £55
Apparently there 'may' be a very small leak in the bit between where the petrol goes in and the tank. But that's not dangerous. And if I want a new tank then this guy will do it for £100.

So, the lesson is - Don't go to PA auto's in Sheffield. DO go to John Coy's in Nottingham!

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:34   #40
Another Slayer
Jungle King

Another Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant futureAnother Slayer has a brilliant future

money grabbing cocksniffers
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:40   #41
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
try endsleigh, they're usually the cheapest.
Norwich Union are pretty good too.
I found Endsleigh to be very expensive. I got mine with Direct line, and the Direct line quote was £200 less per year than the Endsleigh one, but because I'm a student, Endsleigh were willing to lower their quote by about £100, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't do it for the same as direct line. I am 21 though, which could have an effect (maybe Endsleigh cater more for younger students).
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:42   #42
Ste
Bored

dunno, my quote from Endsleigh is <£260 I don't think it will get much lower.
I need to look around a little though.
Direct line you say? hmm

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:44   #43
Bashar
Idle Git

Yeah, I doubt it is always the cheapest, although they do have a breakdown policy which is pretty good which you get at a discount if you have insurance with them too, which is an extra thing to consider if you want both.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 14:43   #44
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
So, the lesson is - Don't go to PA auto's in Sheffield. DO go to John Coy's in Nottingham!
Mine passed with no issue at the place in Crookes, I'm not sure what it's called but it's about opposite Co-op.
Was that it?

Does it not worry you that there may actually be a problem with the fuel tank and Coy's in Nottm hardly looked and passed it anyway and you could blow up whilst driving down the M1?
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 15:23   #45
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Mine passed with no issue at the place in Crookes, I'm not sure what it's called but it's about opposite Co-op.
Was that it?
No, PA Auto's is just off mappin street.

Quote:
Does it not worry you that there may actually be a problem with the fuel tank and Coy's in Nottm hardly looked and passed it anyway and you could blow up whilst driving down the M1?
No, an MOT is an MOT. If it's unsafe and they passed it it's there fault. The same as if they said the brakes are perfect when they aren't.
Apparently there may be a small leak in the pipe where the petrol goes into the tank when I fill up. But it isn't dangerous, and certainly isn't an "excessive" leak that was described initially.
Like I said before - there is no smell of petrol anywhere around my car even after leaving it for two days. Also, my guage barely went down at all between Sheffield and Nottingham. Which wouldn't make sense if it was actually leaking.

Also PA didn't pic up on the bearings in my rear wheel needing to be changed and the handbreak tightening. I know who I trust more!

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 23:23   #46
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Who'd have thought mechanics lie to you???!!!
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 15:15   #47
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe you looked too much like a girl so decided to rip you off.*

*I don't know what you look like
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 23:32   #48
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I found Tescos are quite good for insurance, they were a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone else I asked.
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 00:39   #49
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im with directline. tesco were absurdly expensive when i last checked at 17.
i think its alot to do with the car tbh and its age / worth.

Incidently some of you drive polos. My offside rear (i think..could be nearside) wheel is slapping against something which means when i go round a right hand corner (only righthand mind you) it sounds like the very start of Apocalypse now (the whoomping of the fan/chopper blades)....i had it checked but the guy couldnt see anything.

I have it booked in for this thursday at another VW garage for its service and im hoping its nothing major. My little car has become a money pit as of late :-((((
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 00:46   #50
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
I have it booked in for this thursday at another VW garage for its service and im hoping its nothing major. My little car has become a money pit as of late :-((((
You can get (or at least i could) a warranty for about £280 a year, including roadside assistance.