User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Feb 2005, 09:57   #1
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Poo

www.lokitorrent.com

Bunch of Arse.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:01   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Poo

Yeah well, i've took a step away as soon as I saw they were getting sued.
Damn glad I never donated to the "save the site" fund, as I bet that money is now winging it's way straight to the MPAA.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:07   #3
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Internet Gateway Service

The page or file you have requested has content which is not allowed according to MoD Security Policy. This could be for a number of reasons - but for your guidance it may be because:

The site allows you to release information from MoD Networks without a User Sanctioned Release Mechanism.
e.g.. www.hotmail.com, Lycos e-mail links, Yahoo e-mail links etc

Damn armynet

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:10   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Army owns you.
Especially your arse.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:18   #5
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

honestly they make me laugh with all this we are l33ter than you hacker attitude the MPAA has taken, its like having parents that want to think they're cool by acting that way.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:29   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I especially like the "There are websites providing legal downloads" bit.
Excuse me MPAA? Are you not the Motion Picture Ass. of America? So where are these legal motion picture download sites then?
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:32   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I especially like the "There are websites providing legal downloads" bit.
Excuse me MPAA? Are you not the Motion Picture Ass. of America? So where are these legal motion picture download sites then?
Oooooh I read that as illegal download sites and this is not one of them because it's now been shut down.
Silly me.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:43   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

why can't they host the damn sites in Cuba or something? filesharing is communism, Castro must love this
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 10:47   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
The Army owns you.
Especially your arse.
maybe.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 11:58   #10
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I suggest we all move on to Piratebay.

unlike American hipocrites, the lovely swedes have court rulings saying the excact opposite of the american verdict, so the MPAA threats are utter useless on them.

also:
Quote:
The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity.

have they actually proven this ? Or is it just a "lie" that the gullible amongst us actually believe.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 13:48   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
have they actually proven this ? Or is it just a "lie" that the gullible amongst us actually believe.
It is poppycock.

Ive read many a good article in mainstream magazines about how the opposite is true in many cases. Its simply the fact that MPAA cant move with the technology and is trying to make as much money as possible and anyone else who robs us of our money is thieves. One rule for them, and another rule for others....
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 14:51   #12
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Yeah they are obviously confusing the word "Creativity" with "Excessive Profit"
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:15   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker's Manifest
Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed up. Not because it doesn't like me...Or feels threatened by me... Or thinks I'm a smart ass... Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike. And then it happened... A door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addicts veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.

We've been spoon-fed baby food at School when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us Criminals. We seek after knowledge, and you call us Criminals.

We exist without skin colour, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us Criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat and lie to us, and try and make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the Criminals.

Yes I am a Criminal, my crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:20   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What sort of utter faggot wrote that?
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:25   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

It's "The Hackers Manifest".
Clearly I missed some bits out, namely the bits about hacking.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:38   #16
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm looking for slightly more than the title of your article you halfwitted jackass.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 15:48   #17
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
you halfwitted jackass.

I don't know who wrote it, "The Mentor" maybe?

Clicky

Part of it is used in the film "Hackers".
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 17:15   #18
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The illegal downloading of motion pictures robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity..
That makes me laugh, how can they accuse file sharers of stifling creativity when the majority of Hollywood's output has been utter shite since they started making films ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 17:35   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
That makes me laugh, how can they accuse file sharers of stifling creativity when the majority of Hollywood's output has been utter shite since they started making films ?

~Vaio~
Yeah, and the hard-working bit is probably shite too. HAHA!!
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 17:41   #20
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

The money will be making its way to a high interest savings account rather than the MPAA.

Last edited by BesigedB; 24 Feb 2005 at 20:53.
BesigedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 17:52   #21
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Frankly, it is stealing. You can at least be honest enough to admit that.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 18:44   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Frankly, it is stealing. You can at least be honest enough to admit that.
You do realise that many people don't view intellectual property as property per se and therefore don't view downloading as theft any more than you view breathing as theft.

Maybe yahwe can come in here and make some pedantic and mindbogglingly boring point about the law in support of you though!
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 20:09   #23
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"normal , hard working people"

Someone care to list the stats plz of the combined sales of Adult Rated movies and films within the US and Europe on DVD and Video?

And why is the RIAA suddenly going mad about films being downloaded when the porn industry has been selling its wares online via downloads and livestreams for years, and in terms of "moving with the times" is light years ahead of the "Cutting Edge" Hollywood studios.

Bunch of profiteering wankers. Shoot the lot of them!
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 21:07   #24
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
You do realise that many people don't view intellectual property as property per se and therefore don't view downloading as theft any more than you view breathing as theft.

Maybe yahwe can come in here and make some pedantic and mindbogglingly boring point about the law in support of you though!
But, forgive me, the people who are selling (or have made) the films do regard them as property, so your point is void. Having been arrested and brought to court for stealing some jewelry (eg.), I doubt I could inform the judge that I did not consider the jewelry to be property and had therefore stolen nothing.
Unread 11 Feb 2005, 21:53   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

I could consider all the air in a five metre circle around me to be my property but that wouldn't make it okay for me to accuse people of breathing that air to be stealing from me. The point is not over what currently is legally considered property, it's over what should be legally considered property.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 02:02   #26
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I think the difference JBD is that you did not invent nor manfacture the air you breath, it is public domain.

However in the case of intellectual property, the artist did invent and produce the material in question. It is their property. If I were to record every bit of speach you ever made and (lord knows why) I was able to profit ofd it, say I sold each recording for $1000 and not one bit of that went to you I'm sure you'd feel a little ripped off.

Whenever a radio station, tv station or club plays a song or tv program they have to pay royalties to the distributer who in turn are supposed to pay the artist. This puts the performance into public domain, BUT, although you are legally allowed to record and playback that performance for personal or private use you may not copy it and give to others or sell the recording.

This is fair enough in theory as if all the artist got paid for was a one off performance after which everyone simply copied the material with no further revenue being generated the artist would not be able to make a living. However this is where the system is at fault, very little of the total profits go to the artist, most of it goes back into the distributer who can up the price as much as they please. However, their means of generating revenue is now outdated and behind the times, the problem for them is the internet threatens to undermime this money generating machine of theirs and to remove control of distribution from their greedy hands. They are shitting their pants, so rather than changing the model at the risk of less profits they simply choose to come down hard on the technology and start suing every bastard they can left right and centre, hell it's probably generating them more money this way than the selling of intellectual proerty ever did.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 02:04   #27
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
However in the case of intellectual property, the artist did invent and produce the material in question. It is their property. If I were to record every bit of speach you ever made and (lord knows why) I was able to profit ofd it, say I sold each recording for $1000 and not one bit of that went to you I'm sure you'd feel a little ripped off.
how about if you were giving it away for free?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 02:22   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

Essentially the thing with intellectual property is that it doesn't actually exist in material form. You're saying that ideas can be owned. Does the fact that you're the first person to actualise something give you rights to it in perpetuity?

Quote:
It would be singular to admit a natural and even an hereditary right to inventors... It would be curious... if an idea, the fugitive fermentation of an individual brain, could, of natural right, be claimed in exclusive and stable property. If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property. Society may give an exclusive right to the profits arising from them, as an encouragement to men to pursue ideas which may produce utility, but this may or may not be done, according to the will and convenience of the society, without claim or complaint from anybody... The exclusive right to invention [is] given not of natural right, but for the benefit of society.
Thomas Jefferson, 1813.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 12 Feb 2005 at 02:31.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 04:44   #29
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Poo

Quote:
Essentially the thing with intellectual property is that it doesn't actually exist in material form. You're saying that ideas can be owned. Does the fact that you're the first person to actualise something give you rights to it in perpetuity?
Is anyone advocating that rights to intellectual property should exist in perpetuity?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 07:44   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Is anyone advocating that rights to intellectual property should exist in perpetuity?
More importantly, why wouldn't they? I don't really understand the argument the pro-IP* people are using here.

If you're saying intellectual property is somewhat similar to physical property then why would it expire? Does (or should) land-type property expire in terms of ownership? I'm sure most pro-IP libertarians would be horrified if the US government proposed after 15/25/50 years all private land (or gold for that matter) was transferred to the commons (or some sort of state fund or something like that), so why is it acceptable for the same to happen with ideas (if we're saying people can own them, which strikes me as an absurd notion but whatever)?

The only genuine argument for IP is basically pragmatic. The argument should be familiar to all of you so I won't labour the point but basically it's a social contract. Society gives up certain freedoms in exchange for an incentive for people to create / invent (the rationale being that no-one would create without it).

Now, there are three basic arguments against this :

1. That there is no real evidence that we would have no inventions/creations without patents or copyright. Certainly with regards to software many put forward the case that patents are counterproductive to innovation of any real sense.

2. That the freedoms we are giving up are too important in this case, and we should heavily revise or abolish the social contract. This is basically the argument Richard Stallman makes. I think there is a quote from him which says something like "innovation is important, but it is not more important than freedom".

3. That such a contract could never really be valid, society wise. You can of course give up whatever rights you like, for the good of innovation / the glory of the empire or whatever you like. You cannot however give up my rights for these same goals.

Overall I am amused by the IP debate sometimes. The same libertarians who would not even entertain a practical argument for taxation or welfare (as pragmatism cannot override liberty) suddenly become all pragmatic when it comes to this. The cynical Marxist in me would note that while welfare is generally aimed at improving the conditions of the poor, IP laws and enforcement are generally in the interests of the rich & the powerful. But I'm sure that's a coincidence.

* = Undoubtedly some faggot like Nodrog will point out (quite rightly) that IP is a hazy term and there is a radical difference between copyright and patents etc etc. But you know what I mean.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 09:19   #31
djbass
mmm.. pills

Human nature dictates the necessity for IP.

Person 1 paints a picture
Person 2: "I quite like that it's beautiful"
Person 1: "Why thankyou, I thought so"
Person 3: "Wow, nice picture"
Person 1: "Glad you liked it"
Person 3: "You think I could have it?"
Person 1: "Why not, it's yours"
Person 3 trotts off with picture elsewhere
Person 4: "So i was saying to this gu.. hey nice piece, you make that?"
Person 3: "I err.. well yes, yes I did"
Person 4: "Great! I'll give you a fiver for it"
Person 3: "Make it ten"
Person 4: "Deal, thankyou so much!"
Person 3: *snicker*
Person 4 runs off to the local gallery
Person 5: "This is yours you say"
Person 4: "Hand painted it myself, took a lot of work you know"
Person 5: "It's just brilliant, I love it"
Person 4: "Erm, thanks"
Person 5: "No really, you're like the next picasso or something!"
Person 4: "Yeah yeah.. how much?"
Person 5: "I'm afraid the most I can give you for this is five hundred"
Person 4: "Five hundred dollars? Wow!"
Person 5: "Ahem, five hundred thousand sir"
Person 4: "SWEET! .. I mean, of course, I wouldn't expect anything less"
The painting goes on to a worldwide tour, millions are made.
Person 1: "Bugger!"

To be honest I'm not sure where I was going with that piece or even if it supports my argument but I had fun writing it anyway.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 11:44   #32
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
More importantly, why wouldn't they?
Well, for starters, because they never have been. If you look back at the history of patents and copyrights they've basically always been of a fixed and relatively short term. They've always been recognized as different, in that respect, from real property.
Quote:
I don't really understand the argument the pro-IP* people are using here.

If you're saying intellectual property is somewhat similar to physical property then why would it expire?
It's somewhat similar expect that it does expire. It doesn't really take more than a moment's reflection to realize that if IP rights didn't expire it would be a nightmare. We'd still be paying for stuff that was invented millennia ago, potentially. Whatever benefits conferred by IP rights would be more than negated if they didn't eventually lapse.
Quote:
Does (or should) land-type property expire in terms of ownership? I'm sure most pro-IP libertarians would be horrified if the US government proposed after 15/25/50 years all private land (or gold for that matter) was transferred to the commons (or some sort of state fund or something like that), so why is it acceptable for the same to happen with ideas (if we're saying people can own them, which strikes me as an absurd notion but whatever)?
It's the expression of ideas that are IP, not the ideas themselves. But you knew that right?
Quote:
The only genuine argument for IP is basically pragmatic. The argument should be familiar to all of you so I won't labour the point but basically it's a social contract. Society gives up certain freedoms in exchange for an incentive for people to create / invent (the rationale being that no-one would create without it).

Now, there are three basic arguments against this :

1. That there is no real evidence that we would have no inventions/creations without patents or copyright. Certainly with regards to software many put forward the case that patents are counterproductive to innovation of any real sense.

2. That the freedoms we are giving up are too important in this case, and we should heavily revise or abolish the social contract. This is basically the argument Richard Stallman makes. I think there is a quote from him which says something like "innovation is important, but it is not more important than freedom".
I think an argument can be made that much software is an abstraction and therefore should not be patented. However, I don't see that as a compelling argument against all IP, just a misapplication in one area.
Quote:
3. That such a contract could never really be valid, society wise. You can of course give up whatever rights you like, for the good of innovation / the glory of the empire or whatever you like. You cannot however give up my rights for these same goals.
Aren't all laws--pragmatic or principled--ultimately part of the social contract? We don't really get to pick and choose (well we can, but then Mr. Consequence comes to visit).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 11:45   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

An individual painting is a physical object though. When we're talking computer software (or books or pharmaceutical drugs) we're talkig about something which can be replicated for almost no charge (compared to the initial development costs at least).
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 14:26   #34
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
An individual painting is a physical object though. When we're talking computer software (or books or pharmaceutical drugs) we're talkig about something which can be replicated for almost no charge (compared to the initial development costs at least).
And the credits usually remain intact (on sites such as imdb if not in the media itself). It's not like anyone's actually claiming to have made <insert popular movie>.

As a digression, have a look at this article about how Hollywood makes money.

Quote:
Disney is.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 15:56   #35
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Like Idler said, PirateBay it'd take 7 years for the MPIAA to challenge Sweden's system as they'd have to go through the European Comission to have a hearing

Cuba, Puerto Rico and Sweden are hotspots
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:09   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Well, for starters, because they never have been.
That's not a compelling argument, but is tradition. I don't really accept that as an argument in and of itself. Sixty years or so ago you could probably make an argument that segregation should exists because it's always been in place.

Quote:
It doesn't really take more than a moment's reflection to realize that if IP rights didn't expire it would be a nightmare.
Again, this is a practical argument. You are quite right in what you say of course.
Quote:
It's the expression of ideas that are IP, not the ideas themselves. But you knew that right?
Well, perhaps. This fits better for copyright than patents surely? I mean a patent for a "Consumer-based system and method for managing and paying electronic billing statements" for instance seems more about the idea of such a system rather than an expression of how it's done. If I used the same idea in a slightly different expression I presume I would find myself vulnerable in the courts.
Quote:
Aren't all laws--pragmatic or principled--ultimately part of the social contract?
I would say some laws stem from our natural rights. We hold these truths to be self-evident and then we institute a government to defend these rights. Laws which give up our rights for economic benefits seem to not fall in the spirit of this idea. Laws against murder do not lose our rights as we did not have the right to murder to begin with.
Quote:
We don't really get to pick and choose (well we can, but then Mr. Consequence comes to visit).
Individually, no but collectively we can struggle against bad laws.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:21   #37
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I would say some laws stem from our natural rights. We hold these truths to be self-evident and then we institute a government to defend these rights. Laws which give up our rights for economic benefits seem to not fall in the spirit of this idea. Laws against murder do not lose our rights as we did not have the right to murder to begin with.
natural lawyers are no better than religios fanatics.

no laws are inherently true, some are more frequently found in societies than others, but this simple numerical frequency does not grant them some higher status or self-evident nature.

also your definition of 'right' seems quite wacky.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:27   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
natural lawyers are no better than religios fanatics.
OK.

Quote:
no laws are inherently true
A law being "true" is meaningless. I'm not sure what definition of true you're using but to me no law is true or false, unless you're going to make true to mean "just" or "practical" or something like that.

Quote:
but this simple numerical frequency does not grant them some higher status or self-evident nature.
Indeed. And I never claimed otherwise.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:28   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

You and fantatical beliefs in the tyranny of the majority
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:31   #40
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

A law being "true" is meaningless. I'm not sure what definition of true you're using but to me no law is true or false, unless you're going to make true to mean "just" or "practical" or something like that.

Indeed. And I never claimed otherwise.
i'm sorry, it was just when you quoted that nonsense from the preamble to the US constitution i thought you actually believed it. the phrases that i didn't like were 'natural rights' and 'we did not have the right to murder'.

it was these i didn't understand.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:32   #41
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
You and fantatical beliefs in the tyranny of the majority
i don't believe in it, I believe in oligarchy,

but i can define democracy as it
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:38   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
i'm sorry, it was just when you quoted that nonsense from the preamble to the US constitution
Declaration of Independence surely? I thought the constitution one was "We the people" etc?
Quote:
i thought you actually believed it. the phrases that i didn't like were 'natural rights' and 'we did not have the right to murder'.
Oh I do believe it. But we've already discussed that I disagree with your equation of "legal rights == rights" in one of your previous threads.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:40   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

One [well-dressed, Oxford-educated, martini-drinking, blue-blooded] man, one vote!
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 16:44   #44
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Declaration of Independence surely? I thought the constitution one was "We the people" etc?

Oh I do believe it. But we've already discussed that I disagree with your equation of "legal rights == rights" in one of your previous threads.
i'll trust you on that and defer to your no doubt far greater knowledge.

i'm still interested in how you concieve of these outside a legal system?
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:05   #45
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
I could consider all the air in a five metre circle around me to be my property but that wouldn't make it okay for me to accuse people of breathing that air to be stealing from me. The point is not over what currently is legally considered property, it's over what should be legally considered property.
But my point is that it is quite clear that films being downloaded are essentially a product, as are the films being sold in a shop. Unless they have been made availiable to download by permission, how can they be any different to the products in your local HMV? If, therefore, you have no qualms about downloading this product, you should have no qualms about stealing it from a shop.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:09   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
as are the films being sold in a shop
They're a physical item. If I take 20 copies of Kill Bill pt 2 from a shop, then they've lost the money for 20 copies. If I download 20 copies of Kill Bill pt 2, then the only thing that's lost is the potential earning had I bought 20 copies instead.

Do you see?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:10   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

You're not stealing anything because you're not depriving anyone of something. My downloading something from the internet doesn't involve anyone losing property. This is self-evidently different from taking a dvd from a shop.

Edit: STOP STEALING MY THOUGHTS MARK YOU ****ING COMMUNIST.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:16   #48
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
They're a physical item. If I take 20 copies of Kill Bill pt 2 from a shop, then they've lost the money for 20 copies. If I download 20 copies of Kill Bill pt 2, then the only thing that's lost is the potential earning had I bought 20 copies instead.

Do you see?
frankly i don't follow this distinction at all, if you take 20 copies of kill bill on dvd then yes you are depriving them of 20 physical dvd's but you must accept that it is the fact that kill bill is on those dvds which makes them vauable. 20 blank dvds would be a much lesser theft.

downloading 20 copies just saves the store 20 physical dvds.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:17   #49
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri

Do you see?
But you wouldn't download 20 copies, you'd download one copy of a film you'd like to own a copy of, so the two cases are around the same value.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 15:20   #50
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

yeah not totally agreeing with your argument, if you wanted to get 20 dvds then how is potential earnings different to actual loss.. surely its just a matter of time...