User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:16   #1
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
SPL - Whats going to happen guys?

Since deffeh made one for the English I am sure we can have one too.

SO whats going to happen this season, of course with the usual 2 horse race but who is going to be the third team as we always have?

I think Partick might struggle this year which is ashame (sorry Kura) but it will be them and Motherwell fighting it out at the bottom.

Celtic for the league and United longshots for a cup!.

(We don't care how **** our league is so you english ****s don't bother telling us)
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:16   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ST MIRREN FOR THE CUP
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:49   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Aberdeen will finish top four next season.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 14:53   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
even though im a celtic fan, at this moment in time i dont see how we can be made favourites for the league. Have you seen the bloke Rangers are gonna sign? Top scorer in the argentine league, he put 5 past Boca Juniors on the last day of the season :|

O'Neill isnt doing anything in the market. Nothing at all. Except linking us with players we dont need. "****"

As for third place, its never easy to tell. However, i do like Dundee United this year. Theyve made a lot of signings, mostly good. It seems quite a lot of SPL clubs have made signings, minor yes, but still signings. I'd tip Partick for the drop.

Unless O'Neill signs us at least one holding midfielder under the age of 27 then im not too happy about the upcoming season. Our squad is aging unbelievably.

"old" old old old old.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 16:58   #5
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
The only reason why Celtic will win the league this coming season is mainly due to their lack of luck this one plus I just can't see Henrik leaving without the league title.

The New Firm should hopefully come back into things a little more now with two young hungry managers.

Rangers will leak goals next season!
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 17:18   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hibs for teh win: because they are teh win.
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 12:22   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: SPL - Whats going to happen guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
even though im a celtic fan, at this moment in time i dont see how we can be made favourites for the league. Have you seen the bloke Rangers are gonna sign? Top scorer in the argentine league, he put 5 past Boca Juniors on the last day of the season :|

O'Neill isnt doing anything in the market. Nothing at all. Except linking us with players we dont need. "****"

As for third place, its never easy to tell. However, i do like Dundee United this year. Theyve made a lot of signings, mostly good. It seems quite a lot of SPL clubs have made signings, minor yes, but still signings. I'd tip Partick for the drop.

Unless O'Neill signs us at least one holding midfielder under the age of 27 then im not too happy about the upcoming season. Our squad is aging unbelievably.

"old" old old old old.
Every word of this post is complete idiocy. Celtic look like they are going to cruise it, Liam Miller is the best young player ive seen in ages, Ross Wallace has played 30 minutes in a celtic shirt and gotten 2 or 3 assists and one goal. Dundee United are third, yeah. Third from bottom. Partick are getting proper ****ed though, just 2 points so far.

Rangers didnt get figueroa obviously, and afai can tell, he doesnt even play for birmingham much anyway does he?

Unread 10 Nov 2003, 12:41   #8
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

SPL - isn't that some second rate league?

on a side note celtic and rangers will duke it out even though they have crap teams.

I reckon we shoudl admit them to the first division for some competition :/
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 12:46   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Pity celtic are more likely to reach the next stage of the champions league than the current leaders of the english league

Unread 10 Nov 2003, 12:50   #10
Rumad
th0ng gimp

yes, but the next 2 teams are doing quite welll and will probably progress further than celtic
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 12:55   #11
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Pity celtic are more likely to reach the next stage of the champions league than the current leaders of the english league
That's what you get when you don't have to play gruelling competitive matches week in week out.

It's like they get a 9 month break as opposed to our 2 week one
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 13:30   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Competetive matches help the team, you know?
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 13:56   #13
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Competetive matches help the team, you know?
They also tire the team out, you know?
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 13:58   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
They also tire the team out, you know?
I think that the lack of progression in the CLeague of Arsenal is their individual failing, rather than that of a competetive league.

Otherwise, why do Juve, Inter, Milan, Real Madrid, Barca, Man U et al do so well consistently?

(Except Barca)
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:18   #15
Ragnarak

Quote:
I think that the lack of progression in the CLeague of Arsenal is their individual failing, rather than that of a competetive league.

Otherwise, why do Juve, Inter, Milan, Real Madrid, Barca, Man U et al do so well consistently?

(Except Barca)
My point was, were Celtic in the premiership and also somehow magically in the CL they wouldn't perform half as well due to the more tiring premiership campaign.

Or say if someone like Man City were in the SPL, they'd have quite a good CL run.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:20   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Or say if someone like Man City were in the SPL, they'd have quite a good CL run.
No they wouldn't, they're rubbish (look at the uefa cup).

(And whilst I disagree with your general point, the specific point that 'celtic wouldn't do as well if they had as many tough games' is probably correct, as they're oooooooooold. But that's irrelevent, as they'd probably have younger players if they were in a tougher league.)
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:23   #17
Rumad
th0ng gimp

but there league is shite and most of the players that end up playing in the SPL are old washed up hasbeens.

Also the top teams are now poor. The gap woill only get bigger....
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:26   #18
Torz
Up yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
but there league is shite and most of the players that end up playing in the SPL are old washed up hasbeens.

examples please, I can think of about 3 players who come in that catagory. I could name more hasbeens in the EPL
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:29   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torz
examples please, I can think of about 3 players who come in that catagory. I could name more hasbeens in the EPL
Fabrizio Ravanelli for one.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:30   #20
Torz
Up yours

Quote:
him, Berg and Capucho were my 3
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:31   #21
Rumad
th0ng gimp

arvaladze?

that drongo given a free from West bromwich albion? [EDIT: McInnes]

Henning Berg?
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:36   #22
Torz
Up yours

3 players? wow full of hasbeens!
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:40   #23
Rumad
th0ng gimp

jim leighton for aberdeen

Douglas for celtic

How many more do you want :-/
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 14:49   #24
Torz
Up yours

Quote:

Douglas for celtic

Jim Leighton has not played for years and Douglas is 30 and is at his most successful time at any club (all of whom have been in Scotland)

Your knowledge of Scottish football is piss poor to non existant. Leave it to people with a clue please
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 15:00   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Arsenal are doing shit in the champions league because they're used to the sub-standard (sub-human in the case of leeds and wolves) defences that just fall over when pires puts his foot on the ball. European defences are much more difficult to break down and Arsenal are just completely unused to it. Just consider their last great victory 3-1 away to roma last year, henry scored all 3 (pace still works in europe heh) one of them was a free kick and the other was scored on a break at the end. Utd and chelsea will do better because they adapt their game to a certain extent. Celtic do well because their home ground is actually an abandoned WWI machine-gun nest and they get so unbelievably fired up for European games they go out and blitz any opposition which isn't fully committed right from the whistle. Plus they have larsson who is, in my opinion, one of the best strikers in Europe, prior to the last 2 seasons as I was unsure as to the real extent of his talent but watching him play in Europe recently has changed my mind (go deffeh it's yo' birthday!) Rangers will do poorly because they don't get fired up like celtic and they're not technically gifted above the level of most average European sides. Due to the way these differences pan out Rangers could quite easily win the league ahead of Celtic, however Celtic are far more likely to progress further in Europe.

PS SPL needs to develop young scottish players for the top 2 sides. I mean come on, how many scots do rangers have in their first team squad? Three? Four?
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:04   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

They played the first game against united without a single scottish player, and the 2nd with one because another player was injured.

Barry Ferguson was their only one, really.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:18   #27
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Jim Leighton has not played for years and Douglas is 30 and is at his most successful time at any club (all of whom have been in Scotland)

Your knowledge of Scottish football is piss poor to non existant. Leave it to people with a clue please
Jim leighton is in aberdeens squad still - and you asked who was washed up.

As for my knowledge of SPL yes it is ratehr limited, but I also watch it when its on and I think its crap - the accrington game on bbc1 was on a par
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:18   #28
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
He is challenging Kevin Davies and Grabbi for the award of biggest waste of money ever.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:20   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
He is challenging Kevin Davies and Grabbi for the award of biggest waste of money ever.
I have no idea at all why he's playing so badly.
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:21   #30
Torz
Up yours

Quote:
Jim leighton is in aberdeens squad still - and you asked who was washed up.

As for my knowledge of SPL yes it is ratehr limited, but I also watch it when its on and I think its crap - the accrington game on bbc1 was on a par
He is their goal keeping coach you donkey
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:28   #31
Rumad
th0ng gimp

he is also a player (still on the books)

anyways off home

catch you soon torzeh
Proud to be Independent
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:55   #32
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ITT Rumad is owned and won't admit it
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 17:57   #33
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I have no idea at all why he's playing so badly.
Because he is used to easing his way through games against teams that would sturggle to play in the English 2nd division.

I have faith in him being able to adapt, he is just going to have to it damn quick before we get well and truely stuck in a relegation battle .
Unread 10 Nov 2003, 18:05   #34
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

*cough*Flo*cough*
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 01:56   #35
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
yes, but the next 2 teams are doing quite welll and will probably progress further than celtic
You say this, then you and Ragnarak go on with this :

Quote:
That's what you get when you don't have to play gruelling competitive matches week in week out.

It's like they get a 9 month break as opposed to our 2 week one
Quote:
My point was, were Celtic in the premiership and also somehow magically in the CL they wouldn't perform half as well due to the more tiring premiership campaign.

You cant have it both ways. Arsenal Man utd etc are in a richer league which is much more financially rewarding, - but its a tougher league

We're in a weaker league with no money. We dont get tested until we play Rangers (and even then recently, heh)

Its double standards to play it both ways. If celtic were in the premiership wed have more money and an even stronger squad. Frankly the fact we're able to compete as well as we are doing at the moment in europe is fantastic. You cant complain about the vigours of the premiership as an excuse when its purely because of the premiership that you have the money to waste.

Quote:

but there league is shite and

1. The league is currently lying third in the uefa coefficient list for this season behind Italy and Spain. While this wont last, and while its of course because of Celtic rangers and hearts being forced to play qualifiers, its still doing quite well. Rangers and Celtic have the potential to be as big as clubs as anyone. Frankly Celtic are historically a bigger club than Arsenal, have a bigger fanbase, a higher attendance, are a better brand, and the teams are pretty much as good (we won 2-0 pre season did we not?). The scottish league may be weak but Celtic havent gone down south for a while and lost. Draw at highbury, wins at old trafford, anfield, elland road, ewood park in recent years.
  2. If you mean the teams outside rangers and celtic are poor, you are correct, but thats not exactly new. Youll find the same thing in many leagues.

Quote:
most of the players that end up playing in the SPL are old washed up hasbeens.
Quote:
Hes there for the gate receipts and the glamour, di stefano is an idiot with too much money

Quote:
him, Berg and Capucho were my 3
Well, granted.

Quote:
arvaladze?

that drongo given a free from West bromwich albion? [EDIT: McInnes]

Henning Berg?
Arverladze is still putting the goals away (annoyingly). McInnes is shit, but he was shit last year in your precious premiership too - in fact, hes actually always been shit, he was never even a good SPL player.

Quote:

Douglas for celtic

Leighton is only on the books as an emergency, his main role is goalkeeper coach

Douglas ? Yes, hes a has been playing in goal for Scotland, and Celtic (well he should be our #1 all the time anyway imho), i mean, hes just not living up to his glory days in Dundee. You idiot.

How many more do i want? Do you want me to start on premiership has beens?

Quote:
They played the first game against united without a single scottish player, and the 2nd with one because another player was injured.

Hughes, Ross, Malcolm (shit), Burke (doesnt look that good) are coming through at Rangers. Barry was their only one good enough to start regularly yes, (apart from McCann who only played sometimes - hows that for a has been, hes not good enough for rangers but he plays in the premiership). Thompson is young and pretty good for them, but hes injured. Yes, rangers and celtic have a lack of scots playing for them, but, there is a lack of Scots good enough to play for Rangers or Celtic to be perfectly honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Hes getting used to the team not being built around him. He was a real leader for rangers, to be just another player, someone who can be subbed on and off is a culture shock for him. Itd almost help him if you had a bad season, next year the team could be built around him, and he'll excel. Its not to do with the kind of people hes playing, as hes not that sort of player. Hes a holding midfielder, with a great long ball, great vision. That doesnt change from league to league like for example, a fast striker would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Arsenal are doing shit in the champions league because they're used to the sub-standard (sub-human in the case of leeds and wolves) defences that just fall over when pires puts his foot on the ball. European defences are much more difficult to break down and Arsenal are just completely unused to it. Just consider their last great victory 3-1 away to roma last year, henry scored all 3 (pace still works in europe heh) one of them was a free kick and the other was scored on a break at the end. Utd and chelsea will do better because they adapt their game to a certain extent. Celtic do well because their home ground is actually an abandoned WWI machine-gun nest and they get so unbelievably fired up for European games they go out and blitz any opposition which isn't fully committed right from the whistle. Plus they have larsson who is, in my opinion, one of the best strikers in Europe, prior to the last 2 seasons as I was unsure as to the real extent of his talent but watching him play in Europe recently has changed my mind (go deffeh it's yo' birthday!) Rangers will do poorly because they don't get fired up like celtic and they're not technically gifted above the level of most average European sides. Due to the way these differences pan out Rangers could quite easily win the league ahead of Celtic, however Celtic are far more likely to progress further in Europe.

PS SPL needs to develop young scottish players for the top 2 sides. I mean come on, how many scots do rangers have in their first team squad? Three? Four?
Your probably right about Arsenal. However, youd think a manager like Wenger would have realised this by now.

Celtic park _is_ the most fearsome place to go to, to play a game of football. 64 games without defeat we've played there now. Of course you could start the whole "most of those were against substandard opposition" thing but id say
  1. Some decent teams have came here in that time, Stuttgart, Liverpool, Juventus, Porto, Valencia etc.
  2. Even the best teams slip up at home. Real did it a couple of times last season didnt they? Man utd did it against fulham. To not have done it in 64 games is quite incredible
The funny thing is, the last team to beat us at home were Ajax Amsterdam - but we were celebrating that night anyway - they won 1-0, sure, but we'd already beaten them 3-1 away two weeks prior, so that night signalled celtic's first venture into the champions league.

Having said this, we face one hell of a task to keep this up against Bayern - although - we frankly played them off the park in Munich until Hedman decided to be an idiot - and if we win, we eliminate them, a scenario unthinkable at the start of the group.

Thing is Jonny, youve become a fan at the wrong time. Larsson is getting worse (!). But hes still one of the best in the world. His touch, his shot, his determination, is unbelievable. His workrate and attitude are top class. Three four years ago he was the equal of any player in the world.
Why isnt he now?
His pace is gone A few times this season there have been balls ive noticed that the larsson of the past would have taken, raced onto and fired home. This season weve had to be content with him reaching them just first, skinning the shit out of the defender, dragging the ball back onto his right foot, and curling an inch perfect ball onto the head of Sutton or Hartson. "Bummer, eh"

Hes not a striker, hes Henrik Larsson, and with the exception of Henry, hes the best player to have played in britain for the last six seven years.

Rangers dont do well because they arent as good as us anymore. Their signings have been absolutely gash. Emerson is rubbish, Vanoli is laughable, Capucho is a joke, Berg is crap. Khishnishvili is actually quite good, but too young and inexperienced. They wont win the league because they arent as good as us this season, its pretty much that simple. Already they pretty much would have to win at ibrox and parkhead when we play them, and i cant really see that happening.

As to how far Celtic could progress in Europe..

Financially, we cant compete past the group stage really. Its not even definite we'll get past the group stage, or even into the uefa cup - yet we could just as easily top our group by a country mile. Bayern at home / Lyon away. Those are ties which could go either way, and i cant decide which is the harder of the two.

However, if we made it to the knockout stages? I think if Celtic got any team in Europe (inc Man utd, chelsea, real madrid) back to Celtic park for a second leg with us only losing by 1 or 2, we'd have a chance.

Young players in the old firm, there maybe is a lack of - maybe - Crainey was doing great for us at the back (hes 20 or 21) until he got injured. Maloney is one of the only exciting young Scottish Strikers, he normally gets a bit of time. Smith hasnt featured much this season, but he has some hell of amount of pace. Kennedy is breaking through the ranks. We realised Lynch was good but not good enough so we sent him away. Miller has played as well as any - ANY - midfielder in the Champions league this season, but hes irish. But just over the last couple of weeks weve given Ross Wallace his debut - 10 minutes against killie and 20 against Dunfermilne. In that time hes scored, and notched up 2 assists - need i say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
ITT Rumad is owned and won't admit it
And if he wasnt then, he is now

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 11:01   #36
JC
lolly roffle

Whats with all this dissing of Berg?

He was at the heart of the defence that kept the most clean sheets in the Premiership last season. He'ld still be in our first team if Sounness hadnt fallen out with him.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 11:02   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well done for the win at last, btw
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 13:23   #38
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Well done for the win at last, btw
We've been playing better than a lot fo people have given us credit for. We nearly beat Liverpool with 10 men, Leicester didnt have a shot until the 65th minute, but somehow we managed to lose those games.

Anyway, a nice trip to Old Trafford next .
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 13:30   #39
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Since deffeh made one for the English I am sure we can have one too.

SO whats going to happen this season, of course with the usual 2 horse race but who is going to be the third team as we always have?

I think Partick might struggle this year which is ashame (sorry Kura) but it will be them and Motherwell fighting it out at the bottom.

Celtic for the league and United longshots for a cup!.

(We don't care how **** our league is so you english ****s don't bother telling us)

Motherwell will do well until Christmas, when their next 2 or 3 players will leave to balance the books, and theyll fade to 9th or 10th. United will win **** ALL as McCall cannot get the players to Gel , Thistle will get less than 10 points and be relegated after new manager Sandy Clark lasts 13 games in charge, and will release everyone remotely decent on a free in the summer, and Celtic will win the league by 20+ points as a hopeless Rangers team is found out for not developing their youth program properly and having no squad depth.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 13:37   #40
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
Celtic will win the league by 20+ points as a hopeless Rangers team is found out for not developing their youth program properly and having no squad depth.
But but but

<Sunday8pm> We all know that rangers are so far ahead of celtic now in youth development stakes that its unreal and only inevitible that they never lose again

Prove if it was ever needed, that Sunday8pm knows _**** all_

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 13:45   #41
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
But but but

<Sunday8pm> We all know that rangers are so far ahead of celtic now in youth development stakes that its unreal and only inevitible that they never lose again

Prove if it was ever needed, that Sunday8pm knows _**** all_

Damn You Deffeh.

By Bringing the All Singing , All Dancing , All Knowing Sunday8pm into the conversation, youve destroyed my argument far more effectively than Jakiri could have by writing a 20,000 word essay.

I hate you!
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 13:59   #42
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hes not a striker, hes Henrik Larsson, and with the exception of Henry, hes the best player to have played in britain for the last six seven years.
Owen, Van Nistlerooy, Bergkamp, Crespo, Shearer, Kewel, Gerrard, Viera, Pires, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Cantona, Duff off the top of my head

yeah I know its gay to pick just one line out of that massive post to comment on but it was such a lame statement.
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:44   #43
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile
Owen, Van Nistlerooy, Bergkamp, Crespo, Shearer, Kewel, Gerrard, Viera, Pires, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Cantona, Duff off the top of my head

yeah I know its gay to pick just one line out of that massive post to comment on but it was such a lame statement.
This shows that you havent seen Larsson play enough.

Owen: Lacks larssons touch and finish from outside of the box, lacks larssons cross, larssons workrate. Better in box finisher, faster, but weak and small.

Van Nistelrooy : A better 6 yard finisher than anyone in football. Doesnt have larssons crossing, passing abilities, not as versatile, not as good a headerer of the ball (Re: uefa cup final), doesnt create nearly as many of his own goals as larsson does

Bergkamp: More the larsson type of player, but doesnt carry a team the same way Larsson does. Also, has trailed off over the last few seasons undeniably whereas larsson is still doing the business. Larsson has a better header, and is a better set piece taker, but Bergkamp has been on most areas, pretty much as good, almost as good, or slightly better than larsson.

Crespo: Yeah, hes been immense in Britain in the last 6, 7 years. Next.

Shearer: Shearer is prolific. His heading ability is equal to anyone in thwe world, hes stronger than larsson, and has a more powerful shot, as well as his strikerate being almost as good. But he doesnt have the pace that larsson had, doesnt have the skill, isnt as versatile, isnt as able to create goals for team mates with his feet as larsson can.

Kewell: No. Next.

Gerard: Completely different type of player of course - but still not as good. His disciplinary record is woeful, he isnt the worlds greatest headerer, nor does he have the finish or skills of larsson. Has a better pass, marginally better workrate, sets up a lot, but Larsson still makes a significantly bigger difference to the Celtic team than Gerard makes to the Liverpool team.

Vieira: Never been the worlds biggest fan of patrick vieira, his disciplinary record is terrible. His ability to control a midfield is terrific, and he can burst forward, but theres no way you can honestly say hes made a bigger impact for Arsenal than Larsson has for Celtic. Consider who they both have around him, and consider all the extra roles and responsibilities larsson encompasses - responsibility is a word patrick vieira doesnt even understand.

Pires: Dont make me laugh. Trying to copare that diving french twat to larsson is laughable. Yes, hes fast, nippy, and has a good shot, but he tries to be overly fancy. He doesnt have a strike rate anything like larssons, and too often he loses the ball rather than playing a simple pass. Incredible player, but he still isnt Henke.

Giggs: Comes close. Giggs has just been so consistently good for so long that its difficult to argue against him. Giggs is one of the few players in football that can hold the ball up _facing goal_ as well as larsson can. As good a set piece taker. Not as good a header. And with the galaxy of stars in man utds team, isnt as essential to man utds success as larsson is to celtics.

Beckham: Also comes close. The impact hes made has been tremendous for both man utd and england. As with giggs though, neither of them can head like larsson. Beckham cant hold the ball up facing goal as well, and its rare to see him skin somebody. Better cross obviously, better at set pieces. Not as decisive in the penalty area.

Scholes: Simply isnt as good.

Keane: Again comes close. His workrate makes up for his temprament. The hardest working, grittiest team player ive probably ever seen, he tends to lack the natural ability larssons gifted with, the touch, the finish etc.

Cantona: The last six seven years cantona has been without a doubt a better player in Britain than larsson?

Duff: I am a huge huge fan of damien duff when hes on form, i think Chelsea got a real bargain. But i dont think hes as strong, and i dont think hes as good off the ball. Cant hold the ball up well enough. Still immense though, and still improving (imho)

So of all the players you mentioned... Keane you could argue for, but of course, hes a completely different type of player. Beckham you could argue for. Giggs you could argue for. Duff.. hasnt been playing this well for long enough for you to make a genuine argument for imho, but i have no doubt he is one of the best players in the world right now.

The rest c-c-c-c-c-c-c-cant touch larsson, were such a (stupid) award given, "Best player in britain over the last seven years"

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:46   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The rest c-c-c-c-c-c-c-cant touch larsson, were such a (stupid) award given, "Best player in britain over the last seven years"
Mutu.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:47   #45
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

6-7 years in Britain.

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:49   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
6-7 years in Britain.
'hes the best player to have played in britain for the last six seven years.'

That doesn't mean they have to have played here for 7 years you know.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:51   #47
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

yes it does.

Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:55   #48
Rumad
th0ng gimp

shearer out classes larsson anyway if we are looking at a 7 year period. You also have to look at henry
Proud to be Independent
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:56   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yes it does.
It depends on your reading, and the emphasis you place on words.

That aside, you must agree that Mutu is a class act.

Two footed, great on the ball, great finisher, decent in the air, fantastic work rate.
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 16:59   #50
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
shearer out classes larsson anyway if we are looking at a 7 year period. You also have to look at henry
As to shearer, i should have added him in the "you could argue for him" list. Remember, they are in relatively equal positions but larsson performs multiple roles - and hes the top scorer ever in europe for a british club (though van penaltydive will steal this in a year or two no doubt)

Henry doesnt count because hes the best player in the world.

And yes, mutu is greatgreatgood.