User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Apr 2004, 00:01   #1
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Cool Addicted! (aka: StarCraft is sooo :cool:)

Yey. So there are currently 3 computers in my room. My old one (1.2ghz, which is ****ed up now unfortunately, my new one ("Aldi" superstore 3ghz \o/) and one with a nice flatscreen my mate lent me while he is in china (I do a reinstall for him in return).

So, 3 machines, ey? Me went out and bought a router. And disregarding all the internet forum posts and battle.net support questions that said you cannot play StarCraft games on battle.net behind one single IP, I came up with a cunning router config, and UH WIH you heard the robot*, it works!

Sooooooo... My mates were informed, and from that point on the last 2 weekends (as well as 2 normal nights) were NOT spent sleeping.
BUT playing StarCraft on battle.net.
With 3 people in one team in one room.
Losing together.
THAT makes you friends ^^^ (or not if you blame each other).

But the old feeling came back up. When we used to play till dawn in the morning. That time via modem for lots of expensive money

But this time FOR FREE (not mentioning the costs for power, router and internet dsl).

This StarCraft game is fckn 5 years old (or 6 maybe?) and STILL ROCKS MY HOUSE. All the patches made it even better, its soooo balanced.
Great game.

Just as I read about Go recently (which I learned and started playing but which is too hard for me just yet): "This game seizes possession of men just as wine and women."

When you are waiting for your bus and you think for yourself "Well, NEXT time I'm going to be prepared against rushs, drops AND cloaked wraiths, while I nuke them to death", THEN this game got you.

K enough of the praising, I need to logon again.

I will lose, and then I will think "FFS I've got to change my life" and "Oh no this GOD DAMN GAME is so boring and useless, the same stuff all over again".
But tomorrow in the morning I will sense the urge to fight again, the smell of combat etc.

My mates actually had to WORK the next day when we first played till 6 o clock in the morning. And then 2 weekends. Last saturday... The first thing on sunday morning was McDONALDS for us. OMG. And then one guy had a Lacrosse game and training all day. He knew about it and still COULDN'T leave our match...

Pff I _am_ damaged
\o/

* Futurama rocks
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 00:03   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Addicted! (aka: StarCraft is sooo :cool:)

Yeah, I liked Startcraft too.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 00:06   #3
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Addicted! (aka: StarCraft is sooo :cool:)

Or internet forums. They get you addicted too...
But DON'T, pls do not start with PA now ^^
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 00:08   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was addicted to CS for a bit. Purely because of LAN play with friends.

I think it's the only multiplayer non-RTS game that happened with.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 00:22   #5
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Cs suck if you play it for more than 50 hours alltogheter. And SC does rock due to the thje intelligent plot, while the plot in war3 was predictable (the light hero turns the evil hero --Lo Kerrigan)
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 04:03   #6
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

In this thread, Dante sounds like me for the first three years of owning a computer.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 08:51   #7
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Broodwar is better
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 10:42   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
Broodwar is better
No it isn't.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:11   #9
Embroglio

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Is.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:13   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Cs suck if you play it for more than 50 hours alltogheter.
I did play CS for more than 50 hours, so it's not like I lack the experience to see your wisdom boyo.
Quote:
And SC does rock due to the thje intelligent plot, while the plot in war3 was predictable (the light hero turns the evil hero --Lo Kerrigan)
SC did have a great plot, overall it was probably the most polished all round great RTS I've ever played.

I liked Brood War too, but I don't see the point of comparing SC vanlla to BW.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:43   #11
JetLinus

BW gets too complex IMO. It's really nice once you are able to "manage" plain SC, or if you're bored. The new units bring a lot of new fun, interesting tactics, games, etc. I like the new snow terrain...

But simple SC has already got the "scissors-stone-paper"-principle near perfect. You can counter everything, there is no "always winning strategy" nor a "best combo of units" etc.
BW is balanced as well, but there are more ways to win or lose a game.

That's why I stick to SC first and keep losing there... Maybe I'll try to move on one time again (Medics & Zerg rule!)

Story: I myself only completed the first terran campaign. Which was ace.
But I was told SC and BW as well do have one of the best stories / campaigns ever made of all games. I listened to the stories of my friends and watched the one or other video sequence...
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:43   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
And SC does rock due to the thje intelligent plot, while the plot in war3 was predictable (the light hero turns the evil hero --Lo Kerrigan)
Which light hero turns which evil hero? What are you talking about?
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:44   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
BW is balanced as well, but there are more ways to win or lose a game.
No, fewer. The new units in Brood War (lurker, say) remove more viable tactics than they add.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:47   #14
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
No, fewer. The new units in Brood War (lurker, say) remove more viable tactics than they add.
Oh ok, that's for Zerg. But Medics make terran "rushs" or marine attacks interesting again, and Dark Templars and Lurkers (ok Zerg now) do force you to have detectors all the time.

To be honest: I haven't played BW enough to judge (but I _did_ lose a few games )
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:49   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Oh ok, that's for Zerg. But Medics make terran "rushs" or marine attacks interesting again, and Dark Templars and Lurkers (ok Zerg now) do force you to have detectors all the time.
In the mid to late game, you generally had to have detectors anyway (wraiths, carriers+arbiters), and the protoss and the zerg really should have been using them anyway.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 11:54   #16
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

a chap called InTGuRu introduced to me to SC, sent me the cd image file by DCC (yus, naughty me) ... got me playing (he's very good apparently) ... I got tediously bored after 30mins or so.

Think its one of those games you have ot have played when it first came out cos I do generally like that type of game.

Like I loved hero's quest games (aka quest for glory) by sierra 10+ yrs ago and still do (as does anyone I know that played them back then). I'm yet to find anyone thats started playing them recently that hasn't felt compelled to punch me for wasting their time on a 3mb download.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 12:24   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
Think its one of those games you have ot have played when it first came out cos I do generally like that type of game.
...not really, no.

Well, it is if you want to be one of the 'best', but not otherwise.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 13:59   #18
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I used to get addicted to computer games for like 5 days.
Then the self loathing kicked in.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 14:32   #19
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i got addicted to tekken 3

have played a lot of starcraft, but never that much.

oh, and about go, its not about it being 'too hard for you'. Just play other people who have just started, its a good way to get the fundamental fundamentals down and the matches should be fairly even.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 15:02   #20
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
the smell of combat etc.
Considering that you've had 3 computer geeks in your room for a few weeks playing SC, i don't think that's "combat" you're smelling.

Tell me about this cunning router setup.

And SC rocks.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 16:12   #21
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Which light hero turns which evil hero? What are you talking about?
The kerringan chick turns into evil kerrigan due to the overminds corruption in sc.
In BW the matriarch of the protoss is "corrupted" by evil kerrigan, and if memory serves, gets killed by that zeratul dude.

In war3 the arthas dude, formerly the light and good hero turns in the evil arthas due to "corruption" by that frostmourn sword. Not to mention the "corruption" of forests and animals which take place in w3 which much remembers the "corruption" the zergs do..... or something.

In short, corruption has became a deus ex machina for blizzard, which is quite sucky.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 16:36   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's not as formulaic as you may expect; Kerrigan was all 'Hooray for earth!' 'NO GIR' before, and completely subservient afterwards, but Arthas was always a little... different. Anyway, that's only between acts 1 and 2 of the 7 act story, and it's pretty irrelevent to everything else that happens until we get onto the Lich King at the end, unlike in starcraft.
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 17:15   #23
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

it won yestedays gamefaqs poll
Unread 28 Apr 2004, 17:22   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Well, that's obviously a sign of quality.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 17:35   #25
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
It's not as formulaic as you may expect; Kerrigan was all 'Hooray for earth!' 'NO GIR' before, and completely subservient afterwards, but Arthas was always a little... different. Anyway, that's only between acts 1 and 2 of the 7 act story, and it's pretty irrelevent to everything else that happens until we get onto the Lich King at the end, unlike in starcraft.
Subservient? Are you MAD?
She threathned to kill a cerebrate, and these was the exact world

"do not cross me zaaz"
"You dare to threathen a cerebrate? You will be the doom of us all"

She was a lot more powerful than the cerebrates, because she was phisically and mentally strong, thats why she defied all the zergs.

The matriarch, although, became subservient and shit...

Arthas dude was a pragmatical bloke, which was caught in the heat of battle, he has always had good intentions, but the lacked the political skills to fullfill its objectives.
By being a prince all of his life, he thought he could get anything he wanted done one way or the other, and thats whats wrong with him..

And again, even when he becames evil, he does defies the race that nested him. He makes a plot to kill thicondrius, much like the infested kerrigan killing cerebrates and shit...

both games had much too similar plots and it was a major turnoff to me.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 17:42   #26
Embroglio

new patch out today btw
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 17:57   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Subservient? Are you MAD?
She threathned to kill a cerebrate, and these was the exact world
Cerebrates =/= Overmind.

Quote:
Arthas dude was a pragmatical bloke, which was caught in the heat of battle, he has always had good intentions, but the lacked the political skills to fullfill its objectives.
If you don't think his actions towards the end of the campaign were pretty wacked out ANYWAY, I worry for the rest of your country.

And as I said, that bit doens't really matter; the undead (when they appear briefly) in acts 3, 4, 5 and 6 aren't there to further the story, they just happen to be there (the only bit I can remember with them is the start of the Blood Elves campaign, but they may not even be there). The rest of it is all Orc/Elf/Demon, pretty much.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 18:03   #28
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Of course. there is only one overmind
"Awake, my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that im the overmind, the ethernal will of the swarm, and you have been created to serve me"
But what kerringan does is to say that he would mind killing a cerebrate, in that case zaaz, or sooz, i cant remember his name, but its a cerebrate that gets killed by zeratull, the very first cerebrate to fall to the powers of the dark templars.

What you are trying to say by dissing the undead is that they dont matter as much as zergs do? I havent played FT so have no idea what youre talking about...these blood elvens and shit...

And as kerringan was the motto for bw, arthas was the motto for ft.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 18:06   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

How'd you like my groove daggoth?

Arthas only features in the final chapter of Frozen Throne, and the undead (as I said) are pretty irrelevent even in the 2nd half of RoC.

And of course the Zerg are more important you ninny. There's only 3 races in SC, there's 5 in WC3.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 19:54   #30
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Tell me about this cunning router setup.
If you connect all machines to the router and launch SC, it will work by default (well, let's say if you're a bit lucky). Only thing you need to do is check that port 6112 (for battle.net) won't be blocked by your firewall.

But, you'll notice a really bad problem: Once you're in THE SAME game with 2 or more of your computers, and there are other players from the battle.net, it starts lagging horribly.
As soon as it's just you 3 playing via router and battle.net, no problem.
A strange bug it seems.

The solution is to divert the traffic for each pc accordingly. Split it up basically.
There is a registry setting in StarCraft (can't remember which key as my HDD is gone ) which let's you specify the game port.
I set it to 6111, 6112 and 6113 on the 3 machines.
No, we need a static internal IP adress for them. You can either set it up in each machine (and disable DHCP for your router), or, what I did:
You enable DHCP but force static IPs, depending on the connecting PC's NIC's unique MAC address.
So you got your ips, let's say 192.168.0.11 for pc #1, .12 for #2 etc.

Now you can set up "virtual servers" (as they're badly named in my router config), i.e. port forwarding.
Traffic from port 6111 should go to IP x.x.x.11 only, from 6112 to x.x.x.12 and so on.

And NOW you got yourself a nice game setup.

We encountered just one small problem: The automatic ingame map redistribution does only work very slowly now. Usually one needs to get the map, then quickly opens up a private game, the other 2 get it from there (fast!), and then go back to the original game (which is annoying as it's hard to join a game as 3 people anyway).

Great this world, no?

Unfortunately in my HDD failure I also lost all my nice collected funmaps, such as some nice Zelda versions. It's not played that much anymore. Or CommandoWarz.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 20:04   #31
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point

i play warcraft 3 TFT

lots of fun.. even tho i lose like.. alot ):
Unread 1 May 2004, 02:35   #32
JetLinus

I almost always lose in battle.net although I should do better..

And I STILL play again. Every time...

[heh: haven't played for a couple of days now]