User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 15:45   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Need some simple and usefull tips for making a site with PHP

I got my hosting sorted with impulsed.net (I'm hoping for a discount ) and I've started with making a simple site for it.
All neat and dandy, but I know shiet of PHP or professional site building so I need some tips. I don't really feel like learning everything of PHP as I have other thingies I want to play around with, so "keep it stupidly simple". I have PHP and one mySQL database available. I am not sure what kind of access the process has, but I'm only exploring what is possible and how far I can go.

- How do I make the index? Tables, with includes in each td? How do I pass URL's then? I know frames are bad mmkay....

- Content: can I write to files on the server? For example when I want to change a project description. Can I make new folders/files, for when I want to make a new project?

- Upload: is it possible to upload images? and store them in a certain folder? Can I upload other files?

- Folder browsing: Can I browse a folder and return all files in that folder. For example if I have a download page for a project.

Any sources, examples, other tips and things that just happen to cross your mind and that are quite important/handy and shouldn't be forgotten are very welcome.

TY
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 15:51   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
you can upload, and pretty much all the rest u asked for

i still got the upload.php file i found somewhere, the only problem is CHMODing a folder to 777, a tad insecure

ps will u still need struct.m33p.net ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:13   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I don't want to compromise the servers security, so I guess the uploading bit is a nono.
Flav, I'd love to have that script, it also does the folderbrowsing thingy which could be dandy.

And about struct.m33p.net.... well.... now I have my own hosting I don't know why I would need it anymore.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:14   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Oh, and thing that I'm specifically interrested in now is getting rid of the damn frames....
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:17   #5
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
I don't want to compromise the servers security, so I guess the uploading bit is a nono.
Flav, I'd love to have that script, it also does the folderbrowsing thingy which could be dandy.

And about struct.m33p.net.... well.... now I have my own hosting I don't know why I would need it anymore.

ill send you later tonight when i get on msn
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:41   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Oh, and thing that I'm specifically interrested in now is getting rid of the damn frames....
That leaves you with Tables and/or CSS then.
A very basic 'dynamic' site would just use simple tables for each 'item'.
A basic layout for a news page might be:
Code:
-------------------
|N | ------------ |
|A | |  Title1  | |
|V | ------------ |
|I | |Item text | |
|G | |in here...| |
|A | ------------ |
|T |              |
|I | ------------ |
|O | |  Title2  | |
|N | ------------ |
|  | |Item text | |
|  | |in here...| |
|  | ------------ |
-------------------
...where the lines indicate table boundarys. The large table could probably be static for such a simple design, and the tables within the large tables would be generated 'on the fly' by your code as each subsequent news item is looked up in the database.

I assume that's the sort of thing you mean?

Unread 5 Feb 2003, 20:56   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
**lotsa stuff**

Yeh, I got it loading from the DB, but how would I do this with other pages I want to load in the centre table?
Should I pass a variable with each link like: index.php?show=project/projectbla.html

This would be quite difficult with linking (for me) I think, because I'd like to subdivide the projects in folders.... I would have to know the full path to that folder for each image or download.
Or should I store the folders in the DB, then give the projects an ID and match those. It would make my project listing easier too.
Unread 5 Feb 2003, 21:08   #8
Flavius

Code:
<?php	
switch ( $pg ) {
  case "news":
      include "news/news.txt";
      break;
  case "links":
      include "links.txt";
      break;
  case "faq":
      include "faq.txt";
      break;
  case "contact":
      include "contact.txt";
      break;
    default:
      include "news/news.txt";
      break;
}
?>

opening index.php, it imports the "news/news.txt"
opening index.php?pg=links imports "links.txt"

all this is on my site template, so nothing changes

Last edited by Flavius; 5 Feb 2003 at 21:13.
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 00:32   #9
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Re: Need some simple and usefull tips for making a site with PHP

Quote:
I got my hosting sorted with impulsed.net (I'm hoping for a discount )
It's the cheapest around! Don't be cheeky!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 00:35   #10
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Need some simple and usefull tips for making a site with PHP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
It's the cheapest around! Don't be cheeky!

M.
Isn't geocities cheaper? And ad free, if all the html files have a .txt extension.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 00:36   #11
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Need some simple and usefull tips for making a site with PHP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
It's the cheapest around!
Debatable

SI: Have a look at the include() functions. They'll start you on your road from frames.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 08:46   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Re: Re: Re: Need some simple and usefull tips for making a site with PHP

Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
Debatable

SI: Have a look at the include() functions. They'll start you on your road from frames.
I have.... I now have changed to a table that includes the desired file. I will look into flavius' solution later, as that'd save me some lengthy URL's and saves me having to know full paths when making a link.

I got my news thingy going yesterday, with a login system.

As for the projects, I shall make a project php file and use the DB to give them ID's and appoint a folder.
Unread 6 Feb 2003, 13:50   #13
Jerazol

Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius
Code:
<?php	
switch ( $pg ) {
  case "news":
      include "news/news.txt";
      break;
  case "links":
      include "links.txt";
      break;
  case "faq":
      include "faq.txt";
      break;
  case "contact":
      include "contact.txt";
      break;
    default:
      include "news/news.txt";
      break;
}
?>

opening index.php, it imports the "news/news.txt"
opening index.php?pg=links imports "links.txt"

all this is on my site template, so nothing changes
That solution contains a few flaws. It's not entirely unlikely that it won't work on most servers who have sensible admins.
Starting 1 year ago, the default for PHP installations was to have register_globals sett to off, which means the variable $pg in the example above, won't exist.
you need to use on of $_GET/$_POST/$_REQUEST

Another thing is that you don't need a break; on a default selection.