User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:05   #1
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Childhood Weaponry

Sticks and sawed-off branches made the best make-shift guns.

Large and long staffs made great spears.

Classic medium-sized sticks were wonderful swords.

Cut-up pizza boxes could become ace works of art and shields for the local knight in your family (with attached string, etc.).

Snapple bottle caps made great "throwing weapons" against armored kids in your neighborhood.

Bicycles were speedy mounts, chariots, tanks, fighter jets, and X-Wing/TIE Fighters.

Being an adult sucks when all you have is your trusty "Keyboard Joust."
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:07   #2
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Peg-gun, yesthankyouplease.

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:10   #3
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Paper clips and elastic bands to make a bow.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:11   #4
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Dustbin (read: trash can for those of you who insist on butchering the english language) lids always made great shields I found. If i couldn't ward off my brothers flaming arrows with one (and lets face it, they were made of plastic, so my odds weren't great) the smell at least did send him reiling

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:12   #5
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
Paper clips and elastic bands to make a bow.
An elastic band
Has a lot of potential
Paper Clips are crap

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:13   #6
Embroglio

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Intervention
Paper Clips are crap
fuk u
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:14   #7
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
fuk u
No, haiku

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:15   #8
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
An elastic band
Has a lot of potential
Paper Clips are crap
Wrong. Junior high featured a "phase" in which we bent paperclips in all sorts of directions and shot them into the ceiling while the teacher wasn't looking. A kid I knew had one fly back down and miss his eyeball by about a centimeter. He had a cute little cut just under his eye, heh.

Slivers of plywood made great knives/stillettos...
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:15   #9
Embroglio

Quote:
No, haiku
I would rather not.
I don't like haiku at all.
Blah blah blah the end.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:20   #10
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
Wrong. Junior high featured a "phase" in which we bent paperclips in all sorts of directions and shot them into the ceiling while the teacher wasn't looking. A kid I knew had one fly back down and miss his eyeball by about a centimeter. He had a cute little cut just under his eye, heh.
A well-made peg-gun can put a hole through anything*. I'm willing to bet that child warfare would be much more entertaining if they had peg-guns rather than paper clips.

They look quite good too.

*some things.

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:23   #11
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Countries might have better warriors if child-imagined violence was allowed to flourish rather than "put that stick down, you'll hurt someone."
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:24   #12
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

I can't believe I wrote 'whole' instead of 'hole' and nobody told me

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:26   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Slingshots, BB and pellet Guns, bows & arrows (with the rubber tips removed from the arrows and sharpened in a pencil sharpener), rocks, cherry bombs/silver salutes/M80s (when we could get 'em), lawn darts (before they were banned), assorted incendaries made from gasoline/lighter fluid, homemade cannons, and sundry pointed sticks and sharpened pieces of metal.

My personal favorite was a whip that one of my cousins made at summer camp. Now that could do a bit of damage.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:29   #14
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Throwing weaponry was the most entertaining. I tried so many things to get "ninja throwing stars." :/
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 01:51   #15
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
I had plastic Thunder Cats swords.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 02:08   #16
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Freakozoid
I had plastic Thunder Cats swords.
Mine kept bending when I twatted people in the face with it.

Damn crappy workmanship.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 02:22   #17
Bongdage
Giant Squid Wrestler

Bongdage is an unknown quantity at this point
broken nintendo gun + plastic tube on the end made a cool laser gun/flame thrower
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 03:22   #18
rageybabey
Shenanigans

rageybabey will become famous soon enoughrageybabey will become famous soon enough
My freshman year of high school some dumb fag was always throwing staples in my hair during home room...

Long story short he eventually tried to feel me up during class by placing his hand on my thigh whereby I grabbed a stapler from the nearby teacher's desk and slammed it against his leg.

I rule.
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
lolly roffle
rageybabey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 03:31   #19
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by rageybabey
My freshman year of high school some dumb fag was always throwing staples in my hair during home room...

Long story short he eventually tried to feel me up during class by placing his hand on my thigh whereby I grabbed a stapler from the nearby teacher's desk and slammed it against his leg.

I rule.
Either you're a bloke or something doesn't add up with that story

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 03:42   #20
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
In the navy...
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 03:45   #21
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
No, haiku
Quote:
The seasonal theme.

Each Haiku must contain a kigo, a season word, which indicate in which season the Haiku is set. For example, cherry blossoms indicate spring, snow indicate winter, and mosquitoes indicate summer, but the season word isn't always that obvious.
Read. Learn. There is much much more to haiku than 5-7-5 scansion.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 03:46   #22
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
In the navy...
...we can sail the seven seas?
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 05:05   #23
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
rubber glove guns and balloon guns were great for firing rocks at the neighbours' roof.

a long pliable branch bowed with string between the ends with a few thinner sticks for weaponry made ace bow and arrow sets.

the good old pen tube for firing misc balls of things at people.

paddle pop stick ninja stars and flick knives were also handy.

ping-pong balls wrapped in foil to make smoke-bombs.

cardboard tubes for swords.

so many more I can't remember but oh so fun back in the day

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 05:40   #24
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Christmas was exciting not for the toys, but because we got felt tip pens, and the insides of the tubes of wrapping papper to colour in and make big light sabres!

Unread 31 Jul 2003, 08:13   #25
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
Either you're a bloke or something doesn't add up with that story
I don't think the person who received a staple to the leg was a litteral "homosexual."
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 09:24   #26
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Slingshots, BB and pellet Guns, bows & arrows (with the rubber tips removed from the arrows and sharpened in a pencil sharpener), rocks, cherry bombs/silver salutes/M80s (when we could get 'em), lawn darts (before they were banned), assorted incendaries made from gasoline/lighter fluid, homemade cannons, and sundry pointed sticks and sharpened pieces of metal.

My personal favorite was a whip that one of my cousins made at summer camp. Now that could do a bit of damage.
wow, somebody had a fun childhood
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 09:40   #27
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

this was all a century ago tho, grampa...
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 09:43   #28
I Am Grimble
lol

I Am Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
I used my dad's gun once.

I miss my brother

Remember to think happy thoughts
I Am Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 09:43   #29
Stereophobe

I always found my pa's wood cutting axe that he left round the back 'o the shack to be a trusty weapon, specially when them thar' bears attacked.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 10:02   #30
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Water balloons with broken paperclips/drawing pins/anything else small and sharp inside with the water...
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 10:42   #31
BarbieKen

Re: Childhood Weaponry

Quote:
Sticks and sawed-off branches made the best make-shift guns.

Large and long staffs made great spears.

Cut-up pizza boxes could become ace works of art and shields for the local knight in your family (with attached string, etc.).

Snapple bottle caps made great "throwing weapons" against armored kids in your neighborhood.

Bicycles were speedy mounts, chariots, tanks, fighter jets, and X-Wing/TIE Fighters.

Being an adult sucks when all you have is your trusty "Keyboard Joust."
What a sad sad childhood. And why they hell did you pretend that much crap?
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:17   #32
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
dry ferns/bracken, or whatever you call it. That stuff causes some nasty damage
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:21   #33
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
I never knew that
Sunny days are really bright
Well at least i tried

--------------
My Artwork
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:27   #34
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
half of which contradicts the other half leavin it as basically pick and choose
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 11:50   #35
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Peg-gun, yesthankyouplease.
Those the ones that utilised a stick, a peg, several elastic bands and the old kind of ringpull?

They were great. :D
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 12:12   #36
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Quote:
Throwing weaponry was the most entertaining. I tried so many things to get "ninja throwing stars." :/
Did you try those "mercedes stars"?
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 14:04   #37
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
how could I have forgotten the most classic of all, one hand sized mirror + nice sunny day + eyes of victom = hours of fun.

oh also a favourite was throwing 'itchy pods' at people. we hade these trees that grew all over the schoolyard that contained black pods with little white furry seeds in them that itched like hell if you got it down your shirt.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 15:59   #38
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
heh, i remember them. i think they're just a placebo though
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 16:09   #39
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
bunch of faries the lot of you, an arm put through the open end of a pillow case with your wrist scrunched up at the other closed end (with some pillow case cloth in it to secure) meant that a pillow was an excellent shield. To counter act this strong defensive arsenal we used spare foot rules that one of my dads friends had given us (these are proper foot rules, the ones used on blackboards) we had to wear winter gloves in our right hands as we kept getting our knuckles wrapped.

our game of twat the hell out of each other ended when on of my friends had to be taken to hospital with a gash in his head.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 18:47   #40
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Childhood Weaponry

Quote:

..."throwing weapons"...
Stick swords were popular, as well as pine cones; we had many cone wars in school, some involving the teachers, and some involving the vicars after teachers was hospitalized.
You could even combine the two, baseball style.

I pity anyone who didn't go to a school with it's own forest.
Unread 31 Jul 2003, 19:43   #41
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Re: Re: Childhood Weaponry

Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen
Did you try those "mercedes stars"?
Damn, good idea...

Quote:
Originally posted by W
I pity anyone who didn't go to a school with it's own forest.
Heh, bad ass!